Gluten???

Options
2»

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    To those who have an intolerance, how did your doctor check it? Was it a blood test sort of thing?

you don't need a doctor's test. Just eliminate it for a while (2-4 weeks), then reintroduce. You will have your answer.

This is a very bad answer, as you would not know the difference between a gluten intolerance and celiac disease this way.

The doctor tests for antibodies, namely anti- tTG and anti-endomysial antibodies (which disappear upon a gluten free diet, so they ask that do a gluten challenge if you went GF before diagnosis), plus a biopsy of the small intestine taken during a gastroscopy to look for flattening of the villi. These antibodies do not appear in intolerances but do appear in celiac disease.

I am diagnosed with celiac disease for a decade, this is how I know.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have bloating by dairy really really bad. I have other stomach and allergic reactions to gluten but the bloating is generally, for me at least dairy.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    also, if you have celiac disease, there is no halfway on the gluten free diet. You must observe it 100 percent in order to treat it - no wheat, barley or rye. If you consume even a small amount, it will trigger the autoimmune response where your body will create antibodies that destroy the lining of your small intestine.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    also, if you have celiac disease, there is no halfway on the gluten free diet. You must observe it 100 percent in order to treat it - no wheat, barley or rye. If you consume even a small amount, it will trigger the autoimmune response where your body will create antibodies that destroy the lining of your small intestine.

im pretty sure i dont have celiac disease but there are many people who have different levels of intolerance to gluten so i will try cutting it out for a few weeks and see if the bloating dissapears
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

im pretty sure i dont have celiac disease but there are many people who have different levels of intolerance to gluten so i will try cutting it out for a few weeks and see if the bloating dissapears

I would never have thought I had celiac disease - I went to the doctor about something else and he did routine blood tests which is when it flashed up. I was bloated but having had a baby 9 months ago I put it down to that.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I suffer the same- yes it could be the gluten -try a few weeks of cutting it out and see if there is a difference- also I know Yeast also can do a number on a persons system so you might wanna try that too. :)
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are Wheat intolerant, rather than all types of Gluten. Try switching to Rye or Spelt (which is technically wheat, but a variety that doesn't have the same issues as ordinary wheat) Bread and the G/F Pasta has improved immeasuarably (although be very careful not to overcook it). Other than that get carbs from Brown Rice and Sweet Potatoes.

If that doesn't work, cut out all Gluten and if that doesn't work go to your doctor.
  • shanse21
    Options
    Just a side note... IF you are going to go to the doctor to check out a possible Celiac diagnosis, do NOT avoid wheat before you do. If it hasn't been in your system for a few weeks and you go to get tested, your body may not be reacting in the same way. http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-diagnosis-tests

As everyone else said, your best bet at this point is to try cutting it out for a few weeks and see how you feel.

I was GF for a few months and it made my body very, very happy. Less bloating, more energy, better skin. My primary source of gluten was bread/cereal, which I just cut out completely instead of replacing with GF options. I keep telling myself I need to give it another shot.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thankyou :):) oh i know about those store GF products pretty bad haha, but i do think i should give it a go, it wouldnt really be that hard at all. think it might be worth a try!

It is HARD. Unless you are already eating an almost completely "clean" unprocessed diet, its going to be hard. Gluten is in everything. Sauces, medications, spice mixes, granola bars, chocolate bars, gummie candy, gravy mixes, rice krispies (unless you buy the specially marked "GF" ones), just to name a few. The GF bread is gross (to me, anyway), most of the gluten free replacement food are full of crap, and it can be pretty expensive if you buy any of the replacement GF foods.

If you think you have an intolerance, cut out gluten to find out. But make sure you do it 100%. You can't do it most of the way but sneak in a few bites here and there. It an all or nothing type of elimination test.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thankyou to everyone for your advice, i will report back after 2 weeks :)
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Be careful it can also be found in artificial flavors, cornstarches, etc. I have a sensitivity to Gluten and learned the hard way Jello contains Gluten.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Thankyou :):) oh i know about those store GF products pretty bad haha, but i do think i should give it a go, it wouldnt really be that hard at all. think it might be worth a try!

It is HARD. Unless you are already eating an almost completely "clean" unprocessed diet, its going to be hard. Gluten is in everything. Sauces, medications, spice mixes, granola bars, chocolate bars, gummie candy, gravy mixes, rice krispies (unless you buy the specially marked "GF" ones), just to name a few. The GF bread is gross (to me, anyway), most of the gluten free replacement food are full of crap, and it can be pretty expensive if you buy any of the replacement GF foods.

If you think you have an intolerance, cut out gluten to find out. But make sure you do it 100%. You can't do it most of the way but sneak in a few bites here and there. It an all or nothing type of elimination test.

I do not find it difficult at all.