Is this worth it?

Options
All I want is a simple calorie counter of what I eat. Everyone says this app is fantastic but, like all others, it just seems so complicated and so much to fill in and actually have to DO! You could take all day. Can someone just tell me how you do the simplest things, simply to keep a check on how how many calories I'm using. I signed up about a month ago and haven't bothered yet 'cos there just doesn't seem time to work it all out.

Replies

• fusion777
    fusion777 Posts: 197
    Options
    You just took more time to write that post than it would take to log a weeks worth of food.

You either want to do it or you don't. It's up to you.
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you are eating something packaged you can just scan the barcode with your phone, or if you know there is something you eat often you can save it under your meals, or you can create your own recipe. It becomes pretty quick using these methods
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    if you want to become healthier and or lose weight... it will be worth it. It takes few minutes a day. most packaged items are in the system. Most fruit and veggies are in the system. once you are logging your food for about a week you will build a diary of food. Also it takes 6-8 weeks for something to become a habit.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It does take a while to log food for the first week or so, but once you get going it takes minutes a day.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Takes longer to write a post than it does to log food...ahem ;)

It takes some getting used to, but you'll get there. I sometimes use the app on my phone and it's embarrassingly quick.
  • creedjohnson
    Options
    It takes very little time to record your stats. This app is easy to use. Just try it and you'll see how easy it is to use.
  • Fernella13
    Fernella13 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There's literally thousands of food products already logged in the database so it's easy to log your eating. Don't despair. I thought that I'd never calorie count again but this isn't calorie counting. This site doe that for you.:smile:
  • suenicholson13
    Options
    just write everything down throughout the day, then log it all in at night when you have time. If you go over the calorie limit, at least you will then be able to see where you need to cut down. You'll soon get the hang of it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Logging gets quicker after youve been using it a while because your account will remember foods that you use so the next time you eat that item you can just check the box and it'll add it to your diary.

Of course it does involve a level of commitment and dedication, which in turn is dependent on how much you are prepared to change and make time for your health.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be awesome if you could just wear a little device that would automatically record how many calories you ate each day and how many calories you burned each day, without you having to do anything at all?

Yes, that would be awesome, and I'm still hopeful that Science will invent such a device in my lifetime. But until that day, MFP is the best option we have for doing the same thing, it just requires some minimal daily commitment.

In fact, it's a lot less commitment than actually doing the exercise and making healthy meals, so a little logging should be no big deal.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The largest obstacle is your state of mind. If you are resistant to it, it makes it feel much harder than it actually is. Treat it like an adventure.

In terms of speed, it does get easier. In terms of dedication and commitment, that depends entirely on your mindset.
  • louweeze99
    Options
    Well, thanks, you've certainly decided for me. Talk about encouragement, if your attitude is what it's all about.