A question for the ladies who lift..

Options
So I have been wondering for a while, for all of you women out there who lift heavy, do you feel your libido has increased?

I was discussing it with my boyfriend who suggests maybe the fact that I lift and it could be due to that, something to do with testosterone levels. Although I am aware women have a LOT less than men haha. Or maybe I am just more confident due to the fact I have shed some weight?

Either way my man isn't complaining :laugh:

Just wondering if it has affected anyone else or could just be me!

Replies

• NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    bump
  • NatashaB8
    NatashaB8 Posts: 202
    Options
    I guess its just me! :laugh:
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Its just you. Lol.

I'd say its the fact that you feel better about yourself.....not the lifting.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's not just you. I think it's because your body makes a little more testosterone because of it, and testosterone is one of the hormones responsible for desire in women (just as it's the main one for men)
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's not just you.......I've seen similar comments on the boards, specifically regarding deadlifts. Maybe it's just the high we feel from lifting, who knows, but it's awesome.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I feel that mines has increased due to lifting and weightloss :wink:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yep
    and also I think I'm a little bit more agressive...
    but maybe it's because I'm hungry
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's your increased testosterone levels....
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I lift in a mirror (I know, I know). I find myself my most attractive when I'm all sweat-sheened and the old moosk-les are poppin' out, so I naturally turn into a rabid beast.

I'm in a LDR :(

But in all seriousness, I think in my case it's just down to increased confidence associated with weight loss. Although I must say, feeling strong and capable is a huge appeal, so...!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been freaking high...to the point my bf complains and suggests I get a gf...hahahah. But no, lifting probably hasn't hurt it...and undoubtably increases it since I think lifting is a turn on for me...I'm a freak though...soo.

:wink:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'd never even thought of a connection....might explain how I've been in recent months lol!!
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Probably a combination of lifting, confidence and the feeling of achievement makes you want to conquer your boyfriend . =) whatever it is, congrats
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not just testosterone...you're releasing a lot of endorphins into your system when you lift heavy and/or do any intense training. I'm not a woman, but I do know this is very common and I experience it myself...testosterone, endorphins...combined with just feeling better about yourself and more self confidence = awesome.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    It's not testosterone, it's every hormone of every type, including estrogen. When you lift weights, you put your body into a kind of metabolic hulk mode, your body goes to work repairing micro tears in your muscles, you feel more energetic and vibrant than when you loaf around all day.

Getting fit by including lifting has innumerable benefits to it, too many to list here, but all of which have been studied in great detail. Simply put, your body is DOING something with itself, it is reacting to the inputs you give it.

So seeing increased libido is probably fairly typical. I wonder if your strength gains are such that you FEEL like an in shape dancer, and as such you want to show off your new strength and endurance to your bf?

When I was 210 and 35% body fat, my lovemaking was like an overweight walrus, no real skill or effort put in, just enough to keep her from complaining about it, and I HATED myself for it, but I was too tired and exhausted from that max effort to do any more. I've kind of seen the same increases and interest as you have.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think the whole process of losing weight and being more comfortable in my skin has had the biggest impact. I get just as frisky on cardio days and I do on strength days. And on days off, and cheat days......
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Its just you. Lol.

I'd say its the fact that you feel better about yourself.....not the lifting.

Yes, maybe that's why... Either way, I'm the same. My libido definitely increased since I started lifting. I always 'worked out' (mostly cardio) but I only noticed a change since I started lifting!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Not a woman but i notice, sometimes I am like "am i really still going, huh this is longer than last time, huh wait why am i talking to myself whilst still bumping, huh weird, i wonder what i wll eat tomorrow, i am kind of hungry now, geez i am stil talking to myself oh well, and i am still going, thank god i lift" then im like ok better make eye contact so i dont look like i am talking to myself during bumpugly session.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    Something to add that I have noticed is that certain exercises increase bloodflow. <3 Leg days!
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Not a woman but i notice, sometimes I am like "am i really still going, huh this is longer than last time, huh wait why am i talking to myself whilst still bumping, huh weird, i wonder what i wll eat tomorrow, i am kind of hungry now, geez i am stil talking to myself oh well, and i am still going, thank god i lift" then im like ok better make eye contact so i dont look like i am talking to myself during bumpugly session.
    Hilarious
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been freaking high...to the point my bf complains and suggests I get a gf...hahahah. But no, lifting probably hasn't hurt it...and undoubtably increases it since I think lifting is a turn on for me...I'm a freak though...soo.

:wink:

Can we get married? I'll just go ahead and sign over 1/2 of everything to you now :):)