Wits end about Carbs

Options
1235»

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I don't trust books about nutrition written by 'health and fitness' professionals (it says so on the cover of the book), no offence at all to fitness professionals but sometimes you need to recognise your limitations and leave people's specialities to them. Sure I would give basic fitness advice such as 'it would be good for your health if you increased your exercise, perhaps you could try walking? swimming? resistance training? and I have no problem with fitness professionals providing the basic level of nutrition advice that they have been trained in. I would however consider it a giant breach of ethics to give hundreds of people a stringent fitness plan just because I believe in it...

Of course people will always be free to make up their own minds about things but I would be careful. As you have said, it is a theory 'pretty cool theory' and I just hope you don't pay for it with your health later in life.

It's a cool theory because it makes perfect sense if you actually sit and think about the time line of when the government started touting the low fat / low calorie is the way to go all the while heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc started happening more and more frequently.

Here is another article to read that I have posted several times that does in hand with Mark Sisson's theories..........

edited: per your request SHboss...............

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=print
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    seriously? I humbly request that next time you just post a link, instead of posting a 7800 word essay.

this is bad netiquette
  • buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    Ahhhh, now I remember why I don't frequent the forums anymore......
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Oh come on guys...... really?

Carbs are not bad!

The reason why you can lose a lot of weight quickly when you get off the carbs is because you go into ketosis. Seriously guys, carbs are not bad, eating too many carbs are bad, but so is eating too much protein, or too many fats. If you want to learn more about a ketogenic diet, then you can google it. You'll understand why your doctor and his wife have suddenly lost a bunch of weight. But this isn't a diet, ketogenic diets are a lifestyle, fine if you're willing to commit, but completely temporary if you aren't.

I love carbs but my body hates them lol , I wish I could eat the 262 grams of carbs that MFP suggests but if I did that then I wouldn't be losing ...I would be gaining and feeling bad. Some can tolerate higher carbs than others and then some can't go over a certain amount of carbs daily , it just depends on the person.

Blood type A's can deal with carbs better then O blood types. I wonder which one you are.

All carbs are not created equal. Get yourself a nutrient density food list. As long as your energy levels don't crash, reducing your carb intake is fine (just don't reduce it to low)

I adjust the amount of Carbs, Protein and Fat I suggest to my clients. If your want more lean muscle mass then no more than 30 grams of protein per setting.

That is not necesaaarily true. i am Type A+ and my body does not handle carbs well at all. I do better with lots of protein and fat with carbs coming from veggies and a bit of fruit.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    bad "netiquete" or not that is a very informative article. Thanks! I've been doing the "zone" diet for a while. I'm still not always in the Zone perfectly but I've lost 28 lbs since Jan 11th and since finding MFP lost 6 lbs of those 28 lbs. Being able to set your percentage goals REALLY helps me get my meals balanced. I do 40%, 30%, 30%. I'm using lean meats and healthy fats. I do have the occasional whole grain bread. But I've learned it is doable. I didn't think I could get by without bread and potatoes.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I don't trust books about nutrition written by 'health and fitness' professionals (it says so on the cover of the book), no offence at all to fitness professionals but sometimes you need to recognise your limitations and leave people's specialities to them. Sure I would give basic fitness advice such as 'it would be good for your health if you increased your exercise, perhaps you could try walking? swimming? resistance training? and I have no problem with fitness professionals providing the basic level of nutrition advice that they have been trained in. I would however consider it a giant breach of ethics to give hundreds of people a stringent fitness plan just because I believe in it...

Of course people will always be free to make up their own minds about things but I would be careful. As you have said, it is a theory 'pretty cool theory' and I just hope you don't pay for it with your health later in life.

It's a cool theory because it makes perfect sense if you actually sit and think about the time line of when the government started touting the low fat / low calorie is the way to go all the while heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc started happening more and more frequently.

Here is another article to read that I have posted several times that does in hand with Mark Sisson's theories..........

edited: per your request SHboss...............

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=print

My thanks to you my dear! That's much better!
  • jovigal1959
    jovigal1959 Posts: 26
    Options
    Wow. You guys are SO knowledgeable. THANK YOU ALL!

I have read every word, with great interest, on all points of view. I think we can all agree that:

1. Processed food is not good for the body.

2. Stay away from sugar, candy, sodas, and "simple" carbs that are manufactured.

3. Vegetables, meats, fish, and complex carbs, ALL in moderation, is key.

4. Exercise.

5. Drink water.

I have been so diligent with the above since Sunday. I feel 100% better, already.

I got my labs back from my doctor and everything looks great. He checked my thyroid, my hormone levels, et al. I am so persnikety...and Type A..I know!

Okay, so now that I know all cylinders are functioning properly, I have to make sure to keep the engine fed..with superior fuel.

I know much of this is hit-or-miss, looking for the correct formula for each individual.

Thank you all!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I have read every word, with great interest, on all points of view. I think we can all agree that:

2. Stay away from sugar, candy, sodas, and "simple" carbs that are manufactured.

4. Exercise.

5. Drink water.

I have been so diligent with the above since Sunday. I feel 100% better, already.

I got my labs back from my doctor and everything looks great. He checked my thyroid, my hormone levels, et al. I am so persnikety...and Type A..I know!

Okay, so now that I know all cylinders are functioning properly, I have to make sure to keep the engine fed..with superior fuel.

I know much of this is hit-or-miss, looking for the correct formula for each individual.

Thank you all!

yes
    yes
    yes
    yes
    and yes

very good my dear, and gratz on everything working for you!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

4. Exercise.

5. Drink water.

Thank you all!
    :drinker: :wink:
  • getphysicallyfit
    Options
    if you were hunted by T rex, you wouldnt make it past 25 either. knowledge is power. read it with an open mind. wether you follow it or not is up to you. It is actually pretty cool theory. BTW GO Phillies!

I'll have to take a look. I'm thinking from the sounds of it is like the PaleZone Eating habits of the CrossFit generation.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Ok so I have given this some thought. When I think about this timeline, I have to think about what prompted the research that led to the recommendations of low fat, low calorie diet. I have to say, it doesn't make any sense at all to spend valuable research money looking into that if we weren't ALREADY starting to get fat. The fact that it got worse is the continuation of a trend started by a hideous range of processed foods available now that were never available for generations in the past, rather than recommendations. There was, and continues to be fabulous, air tight research that supports a general healthy eating approach. Not the type of research that has 10 participants but the type that has thousands upon thousands across several different countries.

Unfortunately, the science gets a bad name because people refuse to follow it correctly and then claim it doesn't work because yes, it does require self control... and when that happens, along comes a sparkly new book with a theory about how it's not their fault and I can see how people buy into that (and how the author makes their money!).

I just think it's a shame because there are so many mixed messages out there in the media, it's no wonder people are so damn confused all the time.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    By the way, good luck Jovigal! and I'm glad you were able to draw the key nutrition messages out of all our banter :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Ok so I have given this some thought. When I think about this timeline, I have to think about what prompted the research that led to the recommendations of low fat, low calorie diet. I have to say, it doesn't make any sense at all to spend valuable research money looking into that if we weren't ALREADY starting to get fat. The fact that it got worse is the continuation of a trend started by a hideous range of processed foods available now that were never available for generations in the past, rather than recommendations. There was, and continues to be fabulous, air tight research that supports a general healthy eating approach. Not the type of research that has 10 participants but the type that has thousands upon thousands across several different countries.

Unfortunately, the science gets a bad name because people refuse to follow it correctly and then claim it doesn't work because yes, it does require self control... and when that happens, along comes a sparkly new book with a theory about how it's not their fault and I can see how people buy into that (and how the author makes their money!).

I just think it's a shame because there are so many mixed messages out there in the media, it's no wonder people are so damn confused all the time.

I tend to agree, the low fat craze that started in the seventies was incidental in that I don't believe it's WHY the US has obesity issues today, nor do I think that it has a large detrimental affect. Was it good for people? I doubt it, but I don't think it significantly impacted the numbers (maybe a small amount, but statistically I don't think it was significant.). We need to really dig into what changed in the 2nd half of the 20th century to really recognize what happened.

Here's my theory (and that's all it is, I have neither the means, nor the strong desire to follow up with tests and research)

Through the evolution of the "American Way" the US became increasingly dependent on "Status" as the #1 reason it stayed on top of the world with regards to military might, quality of living, and standard of care. We needed to be the best at everything. Sure our military wasn't as big as the USSR or China, but we had the BEST weapons. Sure we had some big cities, but we had the BEST doctors, sure we had a lot of people, but we had the BEST food supply chain. Sure we spent a lot of money and (relatively speaking) lived a lavish lifestyle, but we produced the best quality things!
    The problem with this mentality is it becomes a game of "keeping up with the Jones's" and we had to work harder, pay more, spend more, and do more than everyone else. So women started to leave the home and work, men started working longer hours, and dinner became a quick mean from the microwave. Then lunch hour became lunch 1/2 hour, and in some cases lunch at your desk. Nutrition was taken for granted. People thought, if it was made in the US, it must be good for you. Well we were wrong, but those fast food outlets kept churning out low quality, Highly processed simple carbs and trans fats. And Americans, in their drive to become better, kept ignoring health. Exercise became second, work became the driving force in America, which consequently raised stress levels, which made health even worse. Vicious cycle, we are still fighting these negative physical activities to this day.

So IMHO did high fat, or carbohydrates do this to us? WE did this to us. And WE can fix it, by getting our priorities straight, reducing stress, eating healthy, less processed food, and exercising.

Carbs aren't the enemy, our own ignorance and irrational behaviors, and desires to be the best, are the enemy.

That's my theory anyway.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I tend to agree, the low fat craze that started in the seventies was incidental in that I don't believe it's WHY the US has obesity issues today, nor do I think that it has a large detrimental affect. Was it good for people? I doubt it, but I don't think it significantly impacted the numbers (maybe a small amount, but statistically I don't think it was significant.). We need to really dig into what changed in the 2nd half of the 20th century to really recognize what happened.

Here's my theory (and that's all it is, I have neither the means, nor the strong desire to follow up with tests and research)

Through the evolution of the "American Way" the US became increasingly dependent on "Status" as the #1 reason it stayed on top of the world with regards to military might, quality of living, and standard of care. We needed to be the best at everything. Sure our military wasn't as big as the USSR or China, but we had the BEST weapons. Sure we had some big cities, but we had the BEST doctors, sure we had a lot of people, but we had the BEST food supply chain. Sure we spent a lot of money and (relatively speaking) lived a lavish lifestyle, but we produced the best quality things!
    The problem with this mentality is it becomes a game of "keeping up with the Jones's" and we had to work harder, pay more, spend more, and do more than everyone else. So women started to leave the home and work, men started working longer hours, and dinner became a quick mean from the microwave. Then lunch hour became lunch 1/2 hour, and in some cases lunch at your desk. Nutrition was taken for granted. People thought, if it was made in the US, it must be good for you. Well we were wrong, but those fast food outlets kept churning out low quality, Highly processed simple carbs and trans fats. And Americans, in their drive to become better, kept ignoring health. Exercise became second, work became the driving force in America, which consequently raised stress levels, which made health even worse. Vicious cycle, we are still fighting these negative physical activities to this day.

So IMHO did high fat, or carbohydrates do this to us? WE did this to us. And WE can fix it, by getting our priorities straight, reducing stress, eating healthy, less processed food, and exercising.

Carbs aren't the enemy, our own ignorance and irrational behaviors, and desires to be the best, are the enemy.

That's my theory anyway.

Excellent Post Boss! I keep telling my husband... our Grandparents had it all right.... I find my family reverting to that now. Certainly in eating... we're growing more of our own vegetables, shopping locally, eating the kind of homecooked, good-for-you fare that Mammaw used to make. But also in lifestyle - I hang my clothes out to dry, I use more "natural" cleaning supplies... why? Because A) it's better for us B)it's better for the environment and C) it's cheaper.
    Yes - we, as a society did this to ourselves and we have to stand up and let the companies know that we want good quality good. We have to let the companies that we work for know that we're not willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to make them a buck... we have lives that include taking care of ourselves, our families and our homes.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

That's my theory anyway.

Excellent Post Boss! I keep telling my husband... our Grandparents had it all right.... I find my family reverting to that now. Certainly in eating... we're growing more of our own vegetables, shopping locally, eating the kind of homecooked, good-for-you fare that Mammaw used to make. But also in lifestyle - I hang my clothes out to dry, I use more "natural" cleaning supplies... why? Because A) it's better for us B)it's better for the environment and C) it's cheaper.
    Yes - we, as a society did this to ourselves and we have to stand up and let the companies know that we want good quality good. We have to let the companies that we work for know that we're not willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to make them a buck... we have lives that include taking care of ourselves, our families and our homes.

I find myself doing many of things that you and your family have implemented also. It is amazing when you start going natural in one area of your life, it starts spilling over in every part of your life.

I don't have enough land to have a full garden, but I did plant strawberries and tomatos. I will get lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, green beans and brussel sprouts from my sister who planted a BIG garden.

I use method or 7th generation products and I found a recipe for an all natural weed killer so it is safe around my fur babies.

Even my dogs get an all natural eating plan. Grain free, Raw diet is what I feed and they do get a grain free dry kibble also and I cook sweet potatos, peas, carrots and chicken in the crock pot for them also.
  • sonjavon
    Options

I find myself doing many of things that you and your family have implemented also. It is amazing when you start going natural in one area of your life, it starts spilling over in every part of your life.

I don't have enough land to have a full garden, but I did plant strawberries and tomatos. I will get lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, green beans and brussel sprouts from my sister who planted a BIG garden.

I use method or 7th generation products and I found a recipe for an all natural weed killer so it is safe around my fur babies.

Even my dogs get an all natural eating plan. Grain free, Raw diet is what I feed and they do get a grain free dry kibble also and I cook sweet potatos, peas, carrots and chicken in the crock pot for them also.

It is amazing what happens when you go natural in one area of your life. We actually started when I gave up my career to homeschool my son... for me there was a strong desire to go back to a "simpler" life... though it's not that simple... it's pretty darn hard! LOL

Have you tried square foot gardening? I don't know how much space you have - but I have 2 square foot gardens that provide me with A LOT of veggies! And I generally have some to freeze to use over the winter. I don't have the time or the inclination for a BIG garden.. though I wish that I did.

I love method products - but have to admit, most of the time i'm too cheap to buy them. I make my own cleaning products from vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and table salt. I even make my own laundry detergent... it costs me about $.02 a load!

Ooooh... I admire you for feeding RAW. I have thought about that....but I'm too much of a freak to be able to handle it. I have a really hard time handling raw meat or anything with bones in it... it literally makes me ill. I'm sure that I couldn't handle giving my dog raw meat and bones... let alone be able to figure out what all they needed when. I have several friends who feed RAW though and their dogs are really amazingly healthy. We feed Natural Balance Potato and Duck - one of our dogs is severely allergic to corn. If he eats corn within 2 hours his ears are blood red and swollen shut... so we are really careful about maintaining his diet.

I have to admit the one area that I am not "entirely" environmentally friendly is my use of plastic water bottles. I've bought reusable metal ones. I've bought BPA free plastic ones. The fact is that for some completely unknown reason - drinking water out of a plastic bottle from the store is easier for me. I reuse them for several days and sometimes a week before I throw them in the recycle bin and start over but I have yet to find a way to get my water in faithfully without drinking bottled water.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

It is amazing what happens when you go natural in one area of your life. We actually started when I gave up my career to homeschool my son... for me there was a strong desire to go back to a "simpler" life... though it's not that simple... it's pretty darn hard! LOL

Have you tried square foot gardening? I don't know how much space you have - but I have 2 square foot gardens that provide me with A LOT of veggies! And I generally have some to freeze to use over the winter. I don't have the time or the inclination for a BIG garden.. though I wish that I did.

I love method products - but have to admit, most of the time i'm too cheap to buy them. I make my own cleaning products from vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and table salt. I even make my own laundry detergent... it costs me about $.02 a load!

Ooooh... I admire you for feeding RAW. I have thought about that....but I'm too much of a freak to be able to handle it. I have a really hard time handling raw meat or anything with bones in it... it literally makes me ill. I'm sure that I couldn't handle giving my dog raw meat and bones... let alone be able to figure out what all they needed when. I have several friends who feed RAW though and their dogs are really amazingly healthy. We feed Natural Balance Potato and Duck - one of our dogs is severely allergic to corn. If he eats corn within 2 hours his ears are blood red and swollen shut... so we are really careful about maintaining his diet.

I have to admit the one area that I am not "entirely" environmentally friendly is my use of plastic water bottles. I've bought reusable metal ones. I've bought BPA free plastic ones. The fact is that for some completely unknown reason - drinking water out of a plastic bottle from the store is easier for me. I reuse them for several days and sometimes a week before I throw them in the recycle bin and start over but I have yet to find a way to get my water in faithfully without drinking bottled water.

Would you mind sharing some of your recipes for cleaning supplies and laundry soap? I use soap nuts right now and I love them, but they are hard to find around here.

I filter my water at home with a tap filter and I have access to filtered water at work. I use a stainless steel container also to drink out of, I just carry it every where I go and most convenience stores

I will look into the small garden thing. I am enjoying helping my sister with her garden because it is a bonding experience for us as we are rebuilding our relationship.
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Not at all! I'll post the recipes on my blog... just check it out later today!