Am I to fat to ride a bicycle

Options
Hi All,
I am 5' 10" and I weight 275lbs, I would love to get a bike this summer to get some additional exercises but I am afraid that I might be to big.
Anyone here in the same weight range get a bike and if so what kind? I was looking at the Surly Cross Check.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    As long as you can ride it, why not? I don't think weight has anything to do with it, it's all about balance. I know 275+ men who ride motorcycles and it's the same thing, all about the balance.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I started at 282 lb and I could ride a bike with no problems.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    As long as you can ride it, why not? I don't think weight has anything to do with it, it's all about balance. I know 275+ men who ride motorcycles and it's the same thing, all about the balance.

I agree. Don't let your doubts get in the way of exercising especially if you like to ride a bike.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to ride a bicycle for work when the weather allowed instead of a car and I loved it. It hardly felt like exercise or work because I enjoyed it so much.

edit : I weigh 210, plus I had like 10 lbs of gear on the back. The bike we used was a smith and wesson.
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    Well you do have to get a bike for your weight. I would go to a bike store. They can custom fit you and make sure its right for your weight. Bikes at walmart, kmart, ect are not made for your weight range. Theres no reason you cant ride even at a higher weight. Good luck.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! :smile:

My husband is 6'4" and was just about 300 lbs when we started riding. However, I most definitely recommend that you go to a specialty bike shop to get fitted. He started out with a Schwinn from Target and was miserable to the point of riding maybe 10 minutes. We finally got him fitted and he had to have an XL bike -he can now ride 20+ miles with me. Even with weight lost, he is at 280. We went with Specialized cross terrain (cross terrain is better for our area and LOVE them. And we both truly enjoy riding so it doesn't seem like work. Great exercise.

Hope this helps!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is severely obese. He has diabetes and was starting to have related complications, including being one breath short of heart failure. He borrowed a mountain bike and started by going around the block and built up from there. He has lost quite a bit of weight and improved his health somewhat.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you're not. But like the others I recommend you go to a real bike shop and get fitted for a bike appropriate to your frame / weight. I'm your height I was riding our tandem when I was 300+ (just not so well :) )

You might want to check out the bike forum here http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/248-Clydesdales-Athenas-(200-lb-91-kg) for a lot of bike information specific to larger riders.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am 5' 10" and I weight 275lbs, I would love to get a bike this summer to get some additional exercises but I am afraid that I might be to big.
    Anyone here in the same weight range get a bike and if so what kind? I was looking at the Surly Cross Check.

Sean
    $ years ago when I started out riding my bike I was 24 stone 4 lb (340lbs) I don't know the bike, but I don't see why not, make sure the wheels have enough strength to keep them the right shape (round and true) so the more spokes the better (32 spokes will spread the load better than 30) My go to bike was a 1990 Raleigh all Terran Bike (mistral I think) cost me £60 in a second hand shop.
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    i got on a bike for the first time in a LONG time last year and at that time i weighed in at about 430 lbs. it was not a specialty bike, but i was able to ride it a while, sure the seat kinda hurt some, but i got to where i could ride it for a few miles no problem after just a few times riding it. i am down about 50 pounds more since that time and this summer i plan on getting back on that bike and riding more. it is a whole lot of fun.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you can physically ride the bike, then no you're not too big to. If you're worried about crashing or something, try a stationary.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    For sure not too fat. And I bet you'll love it. Riding a bike is so fun, makes you feel like a kid again! Have fun!
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Check out www.bikforums.com and click on the Clydesdale and Athenas category. You will find people who started riding at over 500 lbs, and have worked their way to onderland through bike riding. There is always threads on what kind of tires for heavier guys, what kiind of spokes, etc. One thing that stands out though is that any bike, will typicallly handle a heavier person. How long it lasts depends on how good your spokes are tightened, how good your tire air pressure is, and what kind of terrain you ride on. General street riding and multi use path riding is the easiest on the bike.

sorry the correct url is www.bikeforums.com
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes, support your local bike store. Kmart/Meijer/Walmart bikes are not good enough! And you'll be thankful in the long run to have a good bike that fits and is easy to ride! And think of how much more fat you'll drop when you do start riding like a kid again :-)
  • DancesWithBirds
    DancesWithBirds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband was riding at 330 last year. But his bike was an older Wal-Mart bike that was too small for him and while he worked up to longer rides, it was always uncomfortable for him.

I completely agree with going to a specialty shop and getting fitted for a bike. It's not about weight so much as it is about height, as a proper bike should still fit you even when you've lost the weight. But if your legs aren't extending properly throughout your pedal cycle you will have a very uncomfortable ride. Oh, and you'll probably want to throw out the seat it comes with and buy a nice wide one with good padding for comfort.

My bike was $500 at a specialty shop a few years ago. I went with a commuter bike, which is a road bike/mountain bike hybrid and comes with a naturally cushy seat. The salesman picked a taller bike for me than I would have picked for myself, and I have never been sorry. A good bike it worth its weight in gold, even if it is a bit of an upfront investment.

But no, you're not too heavy to ride. Not by a long shot :)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    What kind of Bicycle are you talking about? Big Black from the MTV show Rob and Big road a bike and that dude is huge.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started at 350 pounds and was very active on my bike. It is a Specialized Rockhopper 29er. Never gave me any problems with the weight load I put on it. The cheaper department store bikes always broke on me. I am down to 276 and can't wait for cycling season to start as I have never been this thin for a good ride.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Sean

Hey Sean, You should know Fat Bottom Folks make the rocking world go - round. I say get on your bike and ride!

Enjoy
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Bike riding hurts me the seat cuts off all the circulation to me nether regions, LOL!
  • PinkLinda
    PinkLinda Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    absolutely NOT!!! I've seen people of all sizes and shapes ride.

it is the best excercise without straining....just be sure you have a bike that fits you....don't spend a lot of money as you will be changing it out as you progress.