Wheat Free/Paleo

Options
Looking for some friends to join with to encourage and support. I live wheat free. I am not celiac. I choose to eat this because the research makes sense and I feel better. Check out Mark's Daily Apple and read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. In one year, I have lost 20 lbs. so far. I need to lose 20 more!

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
  • Christy1125
    Options
    Hello, my name is Christy. I just stumbled upon Dr. Davis book a couple of days ago. I haven't read the book just the reviews online and wow. I have used low carb diets before but never omitted wheat. This is something I would like to try, well not just try, do. I am sure however that I will need support in this area. I will order the book near the end of this week but am already cutting the wheat. If you'd like to add me as a friend feel free. I haven't been on here but I will be, mostly for tracking my weight. Good luck on your progress to those last 20 pounds and congrats on the 20 pound loss you've already had.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Im doing it as a trial run, open diary, would like more friends on paleo or WB feel free to add me
  • sunnylv
    sunnylv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I added you! This will be the last change you will ever make! Check out Mark's Daily Apple on the internet too!
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eliminated wheat from my diet mid December. I feel so much better. I did read Dr. Davis' Wheat Belly book too. I will send you a friend request. I joined MFP 12/31/12 and I love the site.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I actually happened to read the Wheat Belly book yesterday (a friend recommended it). I already eat very little wheat so (after reading the book) decided to go ahead and go wheat-free. We'll see how it goes!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    "Wheat Belly" is unsupported. Davis is selling sensationalist books.

http://www.cwb.ca/public/en/library/popups/wheatfacts.jsp
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree, if it is in a book it must be true
  • apbradley208
    apbradley208 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just recently went wheat free due to finding out about a wheat sensitivity on an allergy test. This is my first full week of wheat free and I feel great. My son is eating wheat free as well because he has the same sensitivity. I've been reading up a lot on the Paleo diet and lifestyle. I just have a hard time giving up dairy (cheese in particular). Some help/support/friends would be awesome!
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I am not sure that information from the Canadian Wheat Board would be considered a non-biased source of info. Let's have the Diabetetics read the National Sugar Council info for help with their condition :laugh:
  • FredDoyle
    Options

I am not sure that information from the Canadian Wheat Board would be considered a non-biased source of info. Let's have the Diabetetics read the National Sugar Council info for help with their condition :laugh:
    Yes, ignore all the citations at the end of the article.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

Yes, why get unbiased scientific references involved, makes no sense.:wink:
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Wheat Belly and plan to at least try going GF for a couple of weeks, but haven't fully committed yet.
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    [
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Sir, I have looked at most of the citations. Most are from pro-grain websites put up by industry like the baker's association and grain farmers. The eatrightontario site speaks to the advantages of whole grains versus processed. It does not address the possibility of systemic inflammation. The celiac site which is repeated times actually says that celiacs should avoid gluten at all costs.

So, Dr. Bro... I really don't see any peer reviewed literature on the site that supports the need for wheat in anyone's diet. If this was so then people in SE asia eating primarily rice as their carb would be in deep KimChee!!

Their are probably some papers that support your hypothesis but this site is not the one I would use to support your defense of your dissertation. Perhaps Bro U has different graduate requirements.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

You can find peer reviewed source and citations for nearly every possible argument and perspective. The presence of citations means absolutely nothing. I can show you citations and studies for hundreds of disproven scientific theories.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    The page at CWB is addressing the claims in Davis's book. He has to back up his claims. I would expect a company to defend a product against bogus claims. Yes, the Canadian government is in on the conspiracy as well.
    Big Wheat. In bed with Big Tobacco and Big Pharma probably and just as deadly to all mankind.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I started primal earlier this week and the benefits are incredible! Would love some supportive, paleo/primal friends!! Please add me, and just let me know why so I don't decline :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    How does consuming whole grain increase systematic inflammation. What in wheat does that?
  • FredDoyle
    Options

You can find peer reviewed source and citations for nearly every possible argument and perspective. The presence of citations means absolutely nothing. I can show you citations and studies for hundreds of disproven scientific theories.
    Great reason to believe the anecdotal evidence in the book then. :huh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Great reason to believe the anecdotal evidence in the book then. :huh:

Have you read the book to call it "anecdotal evidence"?