noodles

Options
Hi I'm Suwanna, I would like to share noodle with you they are made of elephant yam... No calories lots of fibre called shiratake noodles from Japan. From what I can tell there is a pill too, but I don't recommend this pill only the noodles...:flowerforyou:

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've heard of those--haven't tried them yet. I found these noodles (bean noodles) at my local Walmart and used them in a soup. Here are the nutrient stats:
    Dynasty - Saifun - Bean Threads, 1 Bundle (3 bundles per bag): 170 calories, 42 Carbs, 0 0 (fats, protien).
    They helped me use up carbs without adding fat.
  • Sally_92
    Sally_92 Posts: 17
    Options
    My magazine recommended these but I have no idea where I can buy them or anything similar in the UK, really only have access to supermarkets! I so wanna try them!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Suwanna, I would like to share noodle with you they are made of elephant yam... No calories lots of fibre called shiratake noodles from Japan. From what I can tell there is a pill too, but I don't recommend this pill only the noodles...:flowerforyou:

I have tried these and was very disapointed... it tasted awful and the texture was like eating worms lol.... sucked though i was so excited when i found them :(
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've had shiratake noodles... they weren't so bad. I don't like the smell when you take them out of the bag... a little fishy smelling. But once you rinse them and dry them... it gets better. The texture for me was similar to overcooked Ramen Noodles. I wouldn't say that Shiratake Noodles are my favorite food - but definitely an option when the rest of the family is wanting pasta and you want to eat more than 2 oz!!!
  • fit4hols
    fit4hols Posts: 6
    Options
    Shiratake noodles are great! I live in Japan now, so can get them really easily! I really should eat them more, although did have them today actually.

Yes, you should rinse them thoroughly, then cook them with vegetables and a splash of low sodium soy sauce until all the liquid has disappeared. Like tofu, they are pretty bland but really take on other flavours. By the way, yam (konnjac or konnyaku) is supposed to swell up 50 times its original size in your stomach, so drink plenty of water that day!

If you live in the UK, you can get them online from mountfuji.co.uk or japancentre.com - I've used both these websites in the past, they're reliable.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I was just reading up on this "noodle" prior to reading this thread. It's a soluble fiber, so yeah, I believe it would swell up in your stomach giving you a full feeling. I also read that you do need to rinse them before eating since the wet packaged noodles can smell offensive.

We are ordering Japanese tonight (Sushi) and since I cannot have rice (insulin resistant) I was going to have a beef or chicken teriyaki, with soba/udon - but maybe will opt for Shirataki instead.