1400 calories?

Options
So here my conundrum. I weigh 133lbs. When I put in the tracker that I would like to lose 1lb a week, the tracker suggests I eat something like 1,200 calories (I am estimating). However, this puts you in starvation mode and impedes weight loss. So I put in 1/2 lb and that brings me closer to 1,400 calories. Is this enough food? I feel like this is still too low for efffective weight loss, especially when I work out and lift weights pretty heavily for a female (which the exercise tracker doesn't count, strength training is not put into the calorie total). I have been stuck at 133-135 for over a month and even though it is counterintuitive I feel like I should be eating more to get out of this plataeu. In addition, I had gastric bypass 2 and 1/2 years ago and dropped from 265 to 115, then gained 20lbs back over the past six months, hence the reason I am on here (I would like to be 125, 115 was too low). Wondering if the surgery screwed with my metabolism or if I am still not abosrbing 100% of the calories I eat (malabosrbtion is supposed to end 2 years out from surgery) Any thoughts? I'll take any ideas I get to get out of this stall!! Thanks and have a great day :)

Replies

• AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    1400 PLUS eat your workout calories....that is the way it is set up. You have to eat them back or it is too low. I learned this the hard way. EAT!!!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    it's 1400 plus whatever you burn exercising,
    also make sure that your activity level is correct: chose sedentary only if you have sedentary job + get to your work by car + you don't have kids to run after
  • stephcampbell77
    Options
    In the cardio part of the exercise logging you can type in strength training and it will estimate a calorie burn for your workout.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options

What she said, plus eat your exercise calories back. Why workout if you can't eat?? Never understood that :noway:

MFP had suggested I hit 1400 through December and January, and I wound up plateauing through January. I checked out the above link, upped my cals to 1600 (plus workout calories) and my scale is moving again.

Good luck to you!
  • MsJackieO318
    MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @ scamp awesome I didn't know there was an option for the strength traning in the cardio part. That helps! thanks!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Easy solution: Eat your exercise calories too. I lost best when I ate between 1500-1600 but I'm 5'11.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You look pretty skinny. Why do you think you need to lose more weight?
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    i'm around the same wieght and I upped my cals to 1600 since I started lifting weights. So far so good I have noticed my abs finally starting to show and I still weigh the same. My clothes are fitting better as well.
  • i64X
    i64X Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" isn't real. It's 100% mental, and is an excuse people who yo-yo diet use as an excuse when they binge. "I didn't eat enough and was hungry all the time so my body went in to 'starvation mode' and I started getting fat again." No - you didn't eat the right kinds of foods when you tried to limit yourself to a calorie count that was MUCH too low, couldn't keep up with it, and binged. That being said - metabolic damage IS real, and can be caused by not eating enough.

If you're constantly starving while eating 1400 calories a day, you're not eating the right kind of foods to keep you feeling full. I'm 5'9" and was 220 lbs on Jan 14th when I started MFP. I'm down to 210 now. I've been exercising every day (30-40 mins of elliptical) and keeping my calories under 1400 per day. I have not been starving myself, just making healthier eating choices, and I haven't once had the problem of not feeling full - so I haven't found the need to binge and thus it's working.

A lot of people have told me that 1400 is too low for my weight, but the mythical "starvation mode" hasn't taken over yet, so we'll see what happens.
  • stephcampbell77
    Options
    @ scamp awesome I didn't know there was an option for the strength traning in the cardio part. That helps! thanks!

No problem. I was so happy to learn that too. It was driving me crazy not being able to log my weight training workouts, lol.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 148lbs and I want to lose 7 more to make an even 100 pounds lost. I have my goal set to 1lb/week and that gives me 1420 calories a day. I can do that amount of calories but generally I choose not to and boost my calorie goal with exercise.

Last friday I took a rest day and this friday I may do the same. I can manage on 1420 but I don't want to do it 7 days a week so I exercise.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    As people have said, if you eat your exercise calories back on top of the 1400, that may be enough to keep you full

But I tend to find my fullness more depends on what I'm eating. Protein and fat keep me full, carbs do not. I have my ratios changed so that I eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat (where it looks like your carb percentage is higher than that). Perhaps if you upped your protein/fat you would feel fuller

Also, know that the numbers MFP gives you are just an estimate, obviously. If you feel like you're doing things right (and try it for a couple weeks to see), and you're still hungry, consider adding an extra 100-200 calories. Everyone is slightly different.

The last thing, though... do you think you have more muscle mass now then when you were at your lighter weight? You could be heavier but be the same physical size, if you're more muscular now then when you were previously. Maybe you just need to lose a bit more fat, which may only be a few pounds, not 10 or 15 or whatever. You could probably benefit from learning your body fat percentage and figuring out where you'd like to be. Good luck!
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" isn't real. It's 100% mental, and is an excuse people who yo-yo diet use as an excuse when they binge. "I didn't eat enough and was hungry all the time so my body went in to 'starvation mode' and I started getting fat again." No - you didn't eat the right kinds of foods when you tried to limit yourself to a calorie count that was MUCH too low, couldn't keep up with it, and binged. That being said - metabolic damage IS real, and can be caused by not eating enough.

If you're constantly starving while eating 1400 calories a day, you're not eating the right kind of foods to keep you feeling full. I'm 5'9" and was 220 lbs on Jan 14th when I started MFP. I'm down to 210 now. I've been exercising every day (30-40 mins of elliptical) and keeping my calories under 1400 per day. I have not been starving myself, just making healthier eating choices, and I haven't once had the problem of not feeling full - so I haven't found the need to binge and thus it's working.

A lot of people have told me that 1400 is too low for my weight, but the mythical "starvation mode" hasn't taken over yet, so we'll see what happens.

I64x, they tell us starvation mode make your hair fall out......jk, I agree with you
  • MsJackieO318
    MsJackieO318 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses. I think I will lower my percentage of carbs and up my protein intake. I know I need to up my leafy greens and protein intake and limit my carbs but I am a carb addict! That is something I am rally gonna have to work on. And to the person that commented on the muscle mass, I think you may be right, I have definitely gained a lot of definiton in my arms and feel stronger in general, so maybe I should not aim for a set goal such as 125 or whatever, but go with how I am feeling and my clothes are looking. Thanks again!
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'm 5.10.5/5.11 depending on what time of day I measure my height...I started at 166..I am 57 years old....I got down to 152 but I keep going up and down to 155 back to 153, etc... I cannot get below 150...I would like to weigh 145 but it seems impossible....My calorie count thing says 1200 calories a day. I stick to that "most days"....I don't exercise every day but I do try. I am so frustrated. I wish I could keep going down and stop with the yoyo thing.
  • stephcampbell77
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 148lbs and I want to lose 7 more to make an even 100 pounds lost. I have my goal set to 1lb/week and that gives me 1420 calories a day. I can do that amount of calories but generally I choose not to and boost my calorie goal with exercise.

Last friday I took a rest day and this friday I may do the same. I can manage on 1420 but I don't want to do it 7 days a week so I exercise.

Oops lol. Anyway, we are the same height, weigh the same and have almost the same GW> Just thought that was cool :)
  • LisaMia66
    Options

I tend to agree with you too. Why? Because I rarely eat breakfast and I'm dropping weight like nobody's business. I'm just making better food choices. More protein and fiber, less sugar (artificial sugar, white sugar and high fructose corn syrup) and less bad carbohydrates.

My MFP caloric intake is set at 1380 and it's working perfect for me. Why? Because I try my hardest to adhere to MFP's recommended guidelines on carbs and fats.
  • fishgirlnola
    fishgirlnola Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a lot of tall women posting here throwing numbers around like 145 and 135. I'm not so sure that's all that realistic for some of us amazons.

But that is based on my body type, height and frame and I know everybody is different. I am only 5'8" but my goal is 145. I look amazing at 145. I still have boobs and a bit of a butt at that weight. When I get below that I look skinny to some people and its a constant struggle to maintain. Somebody here mentioned that they were 5'10" (ish) and wanted to be at 145. If its a fit 145 get after it but don't be too hard on yourself at 150. I bet you look amazing.

When I was 145 I worked out a lot, ate food I enjoyed and looked great. When I was 135 I worked out hard everyday and skipped some favorite foods (including beer) and I lost a cup size. I liked 135 but it was impossible to keep without sacrificing the good things in life, and it worried my people.

Some women are tall, strong and have big frames, like me. We'll never be petite or skinny but we will be healthy, sexy and curvy.