nasty

Options

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people that used the electronic one to quit and it really helped. Best of luck to you sweetie =)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Any option to quit will only work if you want it bad enough. Personally I don't believe it's a matter of one method working or not... any method will work if you want to quit bad enough. If, deep down you really don't want to quit no method will work for you.

While the patch, gum or lozenge will work it can prolong quitting as you will prolong the nictotine being in your system. Personally I believe the best way is cold turkey if you want it bad enough. Nicotine will be gone from your system within three days and after that it is mainly the habit that makes you want a smoke.

If you want to quit bad enough throw out all your smokes, lighters, matches, ash trays, etc. Clean out your home, car, etc. Than you just have to work on resisting the urge. Stay away from people who smoke if you have to... don't drink if that causes you to want to smoke... don't drink coffee if that makes you want to smoke. Have lots of cut up veggies available for when you want to eat. A lot of times the urge to smoke is the same as hunger. Eat enough protein to try and keep you feeling full for longer. When you have the urge to have a smoke go for a walk, clean the dishes, knit, paint, exercise, clean the bathroom, play a game on the computer, etc... find ways to occupy yourself until the cravings passes.

Should you quit, don't allow yourself to have just one smoke...it usually leads to another and another. If you quit you have to push through regardless of how hard it can be. It gets better each day. If you want it bad enough you will quit and not pick it back up.

A friend of mine quit in an odd way. She bought a pack of cigarettes one night and chain smoked them. She didn't brush her teeth and went to bed when she was done. The taste in her mouth, the cough she had was enough to stop her from smoking again. It wasn't easy as she still had cravings for a while but she just kept remembering the cough and the taste in her mouth which stopped her from smoking again. It is a weird way to quit but it worked for her.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Chantix. Best thing to ever happen to me.
  • jaqulineroberts
    Options
    My husband and I both use E-cig brand e-go we bought them from vapedojo.com and our liquids from mstsbakery.com.We love them and a plus they keep us from snacking on junk food because there are so many flavors to choose from and nicotine levels. I get 0 nicotine level and my husband uses the 18.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    When I was ready to quit, I stopped buying them and used the ecig for 4 months. I stepped down my nicotine level everytime I order cartridges until I was using 0 nicotine cartridges. One day my ecig went through the laundry and wouldn't charge anymore. I never bought another one.

I've had 1 cigarette in the 3 years since I quit. It was a Marlboro Ultra Light and I got nic poisoning from it. My temp shot up, my heart started racing, I got cold sweats, and I threw up Taco Bell nachos all over the bathr oom floor. It's safe to say that my smoking days are over.

^^^ Be careful with Chantix. I've known too many people on Chantix that wanted to start smoking gun barrels instead of cigarettes...
  • jennmore52
    jennmore52 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago after smoking heavy for 40 years. I found the support at quitnet.com to help a lot, it's rather like mfp. I tried patches, cold turkey, gum and prescriptions and none worked. I finally got the lozenges and they got me though the first couple of weeks. Good luck, life is so much better without the cigs.
  • shellym616
    shellym616 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Blu Cigs?
    They are electronic cigarettes that have nicotine and water vapor.
    They have NO odor, but give you the nicotine that you want. There is no tar and no toxic chemicals.

My fiance just recently started using them. You can get them at Walgreens or online.

Good luck!
  • rishonb
    rishonb Posts: 232
    Options
    not a smoker but honestly if you know something will eventually kill you Isn't that enough motivation to stop..i would rather die from something unpreventable than something you definitely can prevent. however iam speaking from the outside in and know nothing about any addictions, so my advice is good luck hope u can overcome this..
  • kittpitt
    kittpitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 30 years .I finally quit ,I felt so relieved after my first year anniversary came up ,I finally felt free .Do whatever you have to to quit the feeling is wonderful. I waited so long that now I have asthma but it could be a lot worse,I could be dead.I also am surrounded by smokers so that does make things harder but not impossible.Hopefully you will be an inspiration to them !The best of luck to you and never give up you will eventually quit.:bigsmile:
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My ex quit easily with some prescription from the doctor. Maybe wellbutrin? I think someone mentioned chantix... your dr will know. My ex was a schmuck, but this method should also work for non-schmucks such as yourself.
  • ImmaZombie
    Options
    I've heard Chantix works wonders.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    www.quitnet.com

This site helped a lot when I quit 6 years ago and I smoked 2 packs a day
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 4 years, started when I lost someone very close to me.
    I tried to quit multiple times but at the end of the day I really didn't want to. I liked smoking, I had no problem doing it, I knew the consequences and health risks but I wasn't afraid to take them. I quit last August cold turkey. I did it for me, because I wanted to do it, I was done smoking and it really wasn't that enjoyable anymore. It felt more weird than anything. You have to have the mindset that you think it's gross and you really don't want to do it. I think that's the best way. When you honestly want to focus on your health and do it for yourself its easy. It's when you're doing it for someone else or a different reason it doesn't work.

That's how it went for me at least! Good Luck!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I quit at 24, when I was already up to 3 packs a day (starting when I was 13, like you). Forget the patches. WIth the patch or the nicotine gum, you stayed hooked on nicotine. Throw away all your cigs and lighters and wash out your ashtrays and quit. Start enjoying the taste of food again and the smells of flowers and babies' heads and whatever smells good to you. Revel in taking deep breaths of clean air. Look at smokers and think bad thought about them. Whatever you do, DON'T tell yourself you'd do anythign for a cig, etc. Don't play the poor me game. Just stop smoking and know that in 3 days the nicotine is out of your system and then you only have the habits, not the addicition, to overcome. Chew regular gum. Learn how to knit to keep your hands busy. Drink lots of water. You can do it, I promise, and will feel much better and very proud of yourself!

I've never smoked, but I used to drink a 12 pack of Pepsi every day. I tried cutting back and it didn't work. Quitting cold turkey like this person states was the only thing that worked. It sucked and I hated life for a few days. I know it isn't exactly the same. Good luck!

I was a soda addict too. I hadn't drank it for months, but on black friday I probably drank about 24 cans between Thanksgiving and Monday. When I stopped I was sick to my stomach and had a horrible headache that lasted for days. Not worth it. I will just drink some coffee next time during my "shopping extravaganza." I rarely drink it, so it's easy to stop after a few days.
  • boyd224
    boyd224 Posts: 14
    Options
    www.whyquit.com

check it out, lots of good info
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Bump! I smoke a pack a day and have used all medicinal remedies... I get sooo sick everytime.... need help as well :)
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    not a smoker but honestly if you know something will eventually kill you Isn't that enough motivation to stop..i would rather die from something unpreventable than something you definitely can prevent. however iam speaking from the outside in and know nothing about any addictions, so my advice is good luck hope u can overcome this..
    It's not that simple. Quitting cigarettes is seriously more difficult than quitting heroin. The addiction to nicotine is heavily psychological because many people use cigarettes as coping mechanism and "cure-all" for their ails.

Happy? "Let's smoke to celebrate!"
    Sad? "I need a cigarette to deal with this."
    Upset? "A smoke will calm me down."
    Just ate? "Nothing like a smoke after a meal."
    Just finished sex? "Pass the lighter, babe."
    Just finished running? "Why do cigarettes taste better right after exercise?"

Not to mention that a lot of people are more addicted to the act of going outside and smoking than they are to the actual nicotine.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts so maybe this has been covered already. Here's what I did.

Buy 4mg nicotine gum, chew the daylights out of it. In a week or so, switch to the 2 mg gum.

The patch didn't do much for me, nor did ecig or whatever it is. The gum worked totally. I chewed it for about 3 months, gradually less and less often until finally I quit that too.

Good luck, quitting is the best decision you will ever make!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for over 10 years. I tried everything from acupuncture to Nicorette, etc. Nothing "worked". I'd quit for a few days and then I'd be back again. I never smoked in my house, but I did smoke in the car.

September 2007 - I was able to try Chantix via our smoking cessation program at work. I didn't make it through a whole round, but did use it for a bout 3 weeks. What I noticed the most, is that I DID smoke less, but I wasn't aware of it. There would be times when I'd think, "I'm supposed to be doing SOMETHING". That SOMETHING was smoking. It was very odd. I never quit completely using Chantix, but I cut WAY down. I stopped taking it because it started to upset my stomach. (I have weird, vivid dreams all the time, so that side effect wasn't an issue for me)

October 2007 - Decided to try the Nicotrol Inhaler to help me to cut back. I did smoke a little more after the Chantix, but the numbers of cigs per day were creeping up and I didn't want to lose momentum.

From there: I would use the Inhaler at work. I just basically quit going outside for smoke breaks and would take a hit off the inhaler instead. The thing I liked about the inhaler was that it gave you that instant "first drag buzz" but if you went at it too aggressively it would burn your throat. So, it made it hard to over-do the inhaler.

I also started cutting out ONE cigarette per day, based on the time/instance I'd smoke. The first one I gave up was the one in the car on the way to work. After a week, I was over it. The following week, I gave up the one that I smoked in the car on the way home from work. And so on and so forth. The "first thing in the morning" cig was the last to go.

So, I baby-stepped it. By December 2007, I wasn't even buying cigarettes anymore. When I'd go out with friends, I'd bum one here and there or just use my inhaler.

January 20, 2008 - Some friends took me out to lunch for being their designated driver the night before. After lunch, my friend passed me a cigarette. I smoked it, put it out, and told them not to hold me to it, but I thought that might be my last one. I just KNEW. And it WAS my last one.

I'm a competitive person by nature, so that's when I started counting the days of being smoke-free. With it being the first of the year, others were quitting as well. After a few weeks, I really didn't want to have to start back at day 0 again.

Yes, I wanted them from time to time at first. I just didn't have them. I still kept the inhaler around and baby stepped myself from it as well. At the very end I was only using it when I was drinking. For some people coffee+smoke is bliss. For me, it was beer+cigarette. I remember the time I decided to get rid of the inhaler. We were at the pub and a friend asked if I still used it. I couldn't remember the last time I had, but I still kept it in my purse "just in case". I popped in a capsule, took a big drag, and WHOA. I about toppled over from the buzzy, headachey sensation of reintroducing nicotine to my system. So, that was the end of that.

I really think that Chantix was that little push that I needed. I think everyone is different with respect to what will work for them. Cold turkey never lasted 24 hours for me because that's all I thought about. Doing it a little bit at a time without a "quit date" was less stressy for me and when I was done, I was done.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It's not that simple. Quitting cigarettes is seriously more difficult than quitting heroin. The addiction to nicotine is heavily psychological because many people use cigarettes as coping mechanism and "cure-all" for their ails.

Happy? "Let's smoke to celebrate!"
    Sad? "I need a cigarette to deal with this."
    Upset? "A smoke will calm me down."
    Just ate? "Nothing like a smoke after a meal."
    Just finished sex? "Pass the lighter, babe."
    Just finished running? "Why do cigarettes taste better right after exercise?"

Not to mention that a lot of people are more addicted to the act of going outside and smoking than they are to the actual nicotine.

Agreed.... Even as a family my father, mother and all of us smoking adults always end a meal with a nice chit chat in the backyard accompanied by a cigarette... its a lifestyle change just like eating healthy, excercising etc. it is possible... but very, very, very hard. I went to the hospital last time I quit for 5 days... my body was detoxing so bad they PRESCRIBED a nicotine patch to lessen the detox effects. the patch gave me extremely scary vivid murderous dreams i was afraid to sleep and eventually took the patch off and started smoking again. Its hard.... I wish i NEVER started