How much do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Realistically, I probably spend about $150-175 a week on my fiancee & I. However, this number is probably skewed because we live right in the city/eat a lot of organic/hormone free fruits/veggies - it also includes all our TP, toiletries, etc.. Going out we are equally awful, probably $250 a week between us (2 nice meals on weekends).

I do use coupons & shop at big box stores much of the time, but it still adds up. Though I feel OK with spending a lot on healthy groceries as I know the importance of the good food I'm putting in my belly & how much it will save me in healthcare costs over time!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    $600 a month for a family 4, includes everything, toiletries, laundry soap, etc.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    family of 4... 3 adults (husband, myself and foster adult) and 1 child (age 4)...we spend about $80 a week. We shop at the co-op in bulk grains, sale or seasonal produce, organic dairy (limited) and meat when on sale. If it's summer or farmers market season I can take this down to $50 a week.
  • Pinkgingham_19
    Pinkgingham_19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm canadian, but for two of us, usually around 100-125 a week at the grocery store, 15 a week on coffee, and maybe a 100 dollar Costco trip once every 6 weeks.

Eating out, we save it for special occasions so maybe once a month?
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Dang I need to take lessons from some of you :) Our family of 4 spends around 200-230 a week on groceries including pet food and cleaning/health products. We don't eat out often maybe 1-2 month.
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My budget for our family is $100-$120 every 2 weeks. That feeds two adults, an almost 13 year old plus our cat and dog. That includes all non-food items too, toiletries and cleaning supplies. I do cut coupons and check the sale ads (I mostly shop at Meijer but I do pick up some stuff at the Dollar Tree). That does NOT include the bulk of our meat however. My husband hunts and fishes so our freezer usually has venison and fish in it. Also this year we are raising pig and cows. So right now our freezer is full of pork that we didn't get from a grocery store. I still buy chicken at the store. We don't eat out very often but we do like to order pizza!!! Usually that is every other Friday on grocery day...I hardly ever cook on grocery day. :laugh: We typically spend $20-$30 on pizza night. MMMMMMMM pizza :love:
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    For my bf and I, we budget about $300-400 per month for groceries.
  • aimeehaven
    aimeehaven Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am trying to spend around $100 a month on food for myself. I shop generally at Save a Lot and Aldi's but buy certain things at Wal-Mart and Wegmans ($1.99/lb for boneless skinless chicken breasts). I generally make something in the crockpot on the weekend and that will either be my lunch or dinner every day for the week. I buy frozen veggies unless they are in season or on sale. Same with fruit but I have been pretty lucky in that aspect. I've been finding great deals on fresh fruit. 39 cents per pound for bananas and $1 for 12oz container of fresh blackberries. Sometimes you just need to shop around a bit to find deals. I am lucky that all of these stores I shop at are within 2 miles of my house and 3 of the 4 are right next to each other :) BTW these prices are for Buffalo, NY
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Between $200-$250 per week...that usually also includes our beer, wine, and spirits. Other incidentals like diapers, tooth paste, dog food, etc can push those numbers up, but they are usually once per month incidentals. The biggest issue we have is that we shop at Costco for about 80% of our goods...we can go in their with a list of essentials for the next week or two and they may total around $200...but we end up buying all kinds of misc crap...sometimes I feel like we can't get out of there under $400...well, I can if my wife isn't with me; if she's with me, watch out...gonna be a big bill. Actually, I think I've curbed her Costco enthusiasm somewhat when I just went over our latest Costco Amex bill. Just because it's there doesn't mean we need it.
  • SheOwens
    SheOwens Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am also surprised at how little most of you spend. There is 3 of us in our family, but our daughter is 17 and rarely home. I spend at least $200 a week on groceries. Plus we eat out several times a week. But I guess that explains why we waste so much food each week too. Always throwing out rotten veggies and meat that we don't get to. (I hate freezing food).

In Central New York/Finger Lakes area......

Well this question really got me thinking, so I just did a spreadsheet and totaled all our grocery bills and restaurant receipts from Janauary and it was almost $1000. What an eye opener!!! This of course includes non-food grocery items. But still. WOW.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Just myself, about $40/week. Half of which is fresh produce :) (in Edmonton, AB). I do however go out socially quiet a bit, so on average probably spend an additional $20-$40 eating out.
  • lumbeendnking
    lumbeendnking Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We usually spend 100-125 dollars a week on groceries to include paper goods, etc. Thats for a family of four...
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For my boyfriend and I about $250 a month. We eat out once a month if that. I do buy a lot of Subway though. (It's in the Walmart I work at.)

Edit: I'm in central NY
  • scotcl
    scotcl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My family of 5 budget $850 a month for all groceries/toiletries...and we typically hit that average across the year...some months less and some months more. However, we also can a lot of produce from the garden and 80+% of our protein comes venison, chickens for eggs and butcher hens for the year.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Too freakin' much! :grumble:

I'll admit that half of our cart is usually fresh fruit and veggies. And we also tend to stock up whenever there's a good deal. But we're around $200/week on groceries for a family of 4 (that includes toiletries and paper goods).

This^^ I swear I don't know how it adds up sometimes. Family of 4, but that does feed us all breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks. Oh, and Leeroy the boston terrier too!
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on how good of a sale I find. For my family of 4, we receive about $600 a month in food stamps. I have a feeling that's about to go down. But I can feed us on about $20 a week if I shop really well, and I'm really careful.
  • Sheacat
    Sheacat Posts: 24
    Options
    I live in Ontario and we spend about $150-$200 a week for a family of 2 adults and 2 small children (4 and 2). I go shopping every 2 weeks, I plan out our meals (all of them and snacks). This includes everything from shampoo, cleaning supplies, dog/cat food, tylenol, etc. We buy our meat from a local butcher and we do buy mostly organic, so I could probably lower that if I were willing to let that go.

we also eat out about once or twice a month, usually subway or pizza.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    about $200 a month , but that is because either my mother or grandmother are always calling me over to eat.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    50-75 a week. Somtimes 100, but not very often. That is for me and my son.
  • stina1980
    stina1980 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    About $500 a month for family of 3.