Wellness coach at work called me out

Options
Last year at this time I went in and weight 235 lbs and had a body fat of 28% according to here hand held scan (I know its not accurate but that's not the point). I also had high blood pressure at 145/75. Well in the last year I started eating better and exercising. Now my goals have changed and I have become very determined to look my best. Today I went in and weighed 181 with 9.6% body fat with blood pressure 125/72. She was thrilled and told me great work but I told her that I was happy but I had much bigger goals now. I started telling here that I wanted to gain muscle and lose more fat and she said "that's all your vanity now. You are healthy and anything beyond what you have done is just your ego". I guess she is kind of right but I was really put off by it. What are your guys thoughts?

Replies

• Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your wellness coach has a way with words... I don't think she meant it in a derogatory sense. I take her words to mean that at this point, your efforts are not being put towards seeking further health benefits. Now, you're just sculpting your healthy body into a shape that pleases you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Last year at this time I went in and weight 235 lbs and had a body fat of 28% according to here hand held scan (I know its not accurate but that's not the point). I also had high blood pressure at 145/75. Well in the last year I started eating better and exercising. Now my goals have changed and I have become very determined to look my best. Today I went in and weighed 181 with 9.6% body fat with blood pressure 125/72. She was thrilled and told me great work but I told her that I was happy but I had much bigger goals now. I started telling here that I wanted to gain muscle and lose more fat and she said "that's all your vanity now. You are healthy and anything beyond what you have done is just your ego". I guess she is kind of right but I was really put off by it. What are your guys thoughts?

I think on some level she is right but I don't think that's a bad thing and if she was trying to judge you or suggest that what you are doing is somehow bad then I think she has her head firmly up her *kitten*.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with vanity?

You met your first goal (congratulations on that, btw), and now are looking for a new challenge. If you enjoy lifting and being in the gym, then why not? I figure if you are going to keep going to the gym, then you might as well look like it! Go for it!
  • Diamondmortiz
    Diamondmortiz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You know I often wonder about those people, I respect their opinion but I was also told by my wellness coach that I should just get to my "health" weight, no need for toning, no need for protein since I do strengthtraing 2 times a week, dont overdo workouts. Everything she told me was contrary to what I wanted because I want to loose weight and tone up. So with that being said, I say go for what makes you happy and you know your body better than anybody else and hey if you want to get more muscle, go for it! Dont ever let anyone else knock down your dreams and goals. Just my opinion ;)
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options

You met your first goal (congratulations on that, btw), and now are looking for a new challenge. If you enjoy lifting and being in the gym, then why not? I figure if you are going to keep going to the gym, then you might as well look like it! Go for it!

Is it vanity or self appreciation. I am not vain but I like it when I look my best. I think you should follow through with your plans and if she continues to be negative (and her comments were negative in my mind) I would get another life coach who supports your goals and your plans
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'd remind her that part of your overall health comes from your state of mind too. If working further into fitness goals helps continue your mental health, ego and all, I'd say it's win/win.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with self confidence!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a little vanity? Does she brush her hair in the morning? Or should we just tell her that after she washes it, "it's clean now and anything else is for vanity"? Good for you for getting to a healthy weight, and good luck with the rest of your goals!
  • happythermia
    Options
    She's right.

But that doesn't mean you can't go for it :-)

(I don't think she meant it in a snarky way, fwiw)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    it's your body, built it the way you want. no body should tell otherwise if it's not unhealthy. keep going pal.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a little vanity? Does she brush her hair in the morning? Or should we just tell her that after she washes it, "it's clean now and anything else is for vanity"? Good for you for getting to a healthy weight, and good luck with the rest of your goals!

GREAT POINT!!! :flowerforyou:
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think peoples' ideas of what is attractive are starting to change; and for the better in my opinion. Back in the day, you tried to be thin. Especially women/girls. Now, being fit or sculpted is what people are aiming for. Maybe that coach was just looking at it from another perspective. I think you should go for it.
  • laurastomlin
    laurastomlin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Health and mind are VERY connected! So, even if you were trying to get healthy losing the weight to your first goal, congrats by the way :), your ego and mind were still a part of that process. If we all just stopped when we were at a healthy weight and not strive to continue to feel and look our best, then I believe we would gain weight back quicker and more frequently. Do what you know makes you feel GOOD and HEALTHY!!!
  • kitas325
    Options
    Beyond your original "healthy" goals may be territory beyond her understanding and area of expertise. Regardless, she should be supportive of your new and improved goal. Great job!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your wellness coach has a way with words... I don't think she meant it in a derogatory sense. I take her words to mean that at this point, your efforts are not being put towards seeking further health benefits. Now, you're just sculpting your healthy body into a shape that pleases you.

^^^This! Sounds like meant to say this but it came out wrong perhaps. Congrats on reaching your first set of goals but continuing to redefine what you want next!
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your guys input. It did come off as a put down and she was kinda saying it in a way that its a goal I should not continue. I agree with most of you that its my body I can do what makes me happy. I feel a lot better about it now.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your guys input. It did come off as a put down and she was kinda saying it in a way that its a goal I should not continue. I agree with most of you that its my body I can do what makes me happy. I feel a lot better about it now.

Ask her if she even lifts.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Ask her if she even lifts.

I was about to just go off and tell her shes just mirin my aesthetics
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I think on some level she is right but I don't think that's a bad thing and if she was trying to judge you or suggest that what you are doing is somehow bad then I think she has her head firmly up her *kitten*.

^^this

And ^^this.

Nothing wrong with wanting to look your best as long as it does not become an obsession, and as long as it is not an obsession, it is good for self confidence which can extend itself in positive ways into other aspects of life.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I find that when I've had comments like that I kind of take it to heart and think it through way too much. This is something I am always working on personally. Let it go and continue on!!