Nutrtion question

Options
So I am down to 128.8 lbs would officially love to get down to 115 lbs. I workout a ton but lack of energy gets me. I do p90x 5 days a week with weight training and zumba 3-4 times a week as my cardio. I havent been super sore but I have been tired alot. I was eating 1700 calories a day and I am thinking I may need to up them but I dont want to up them and start gaining weight when I am trying to loose. Does anyone know how many calories I should be eating if I am trying to lose at least a lb and half a week without losing a ton of energy. I do have two days off a week.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    With just over 10lbs left to your goal it's not a good thing to strive for 1.5lbs per week of a loss... the deficit would be far too large. When you are within 15-20lbs your weekly loss goal should be 0.5lbs. The smaller you are the slower it will come off and the smaller deficit you should have.

Be sure to fill your day with protein, fiber and healthy fats. I find when I cut out processed/canned/frozen meals I have a lot more energy. Also, getting enough calories in helps energy levels. If you are eating more than enough and filling your calories with good foods you should have energy. If you don't and are getting enough sleep a visit to the Doctor is in order to find out if you have low levels of any minerals or vitamins.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ^^^ The above is awesome! I agree cutting out that stuff and really watching the sodium makes a huge difference. Don't worry about slow progress, the less you have to lose the longer it may take :) Progress is progress! I like to be a tortoise not a hare ;)
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    also make sure you try to lose the weight not loose it! you are doing a lot of activity each week with not enough rest and not enough food. try and do 3 days then a rest day then 2 days... this will give you more energy and your body wont be as burned out.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Be sure to fill your day with protein, fiber and healthy fats. I find when I cut out processed/canned/frozen meals I have a lot more energy. Also, getting enough calories in helps energy levels. If you are eating more than enough and filling your calories with good foods you should have energy. If you don't and are getting enough sleep a visit to the Doctor is in order to find out if you have low levels of any minerals or vitamins.

This. I eat between 1200 - 1300 cals a day, workout about an hour a day after working an 8 hour day (mind you I do sit behind a desk) and I have a ton of energy. I eat mostly whole foods, hardly anything processed.
  • k1200s
    k1200s Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey last 10 lbs, way to go! Take your time.
    Check this out.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm
  • tressieazbill
    tressieazbill Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    With just over 10lbs left to your goal it's not a good thing to strive for 1.5lbs per week of a loss... the deficit would be far too large. When you are within 15-20lbs your weekly loss goal should be 0.5lbs. The smaller you are the slower it will come off and the smaller deficit you should have.

I already have all that cut out of my diet. I eat really healthy except maybe a meal a week. Somtimes a day a week. But I agree with you..Maybe I should strive more like .5 to 1 lb a week. :) Its hard for me to eat much more then I already do though.
  • tressieazbill
    Options
    also make sure you try to lose the weight not loose it! you are doing a lot of activity each week with not enough rest and not enough food. try and do 3 days then a rest day then 2 days... this will give you more energy and your body wont be as burned out.

Lol sorry I just clicked on it whenever it poped up as quick text.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you are doing way too much activity, regardless of whether or not you up your calories. P90x is pretty taxing on the body. I would just do that and skip the zumba, if you feel cardio is necessary doubled with P90x a 15 minute walk should be ok. Just my 2 cents.
  • tressieazbill
    Options
    Hey last 10 lbs, way to go! Take your time.
    Check this out.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/overtraining/a/aa062499a.htm

I dont think I am really over training considering I am not sore and I can get through my workouts just fine. I am doing cardio at night and weight training in the mornings.. And cardio is only a few times a week. I honestly dont think thats the problem.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

Maybe I should strive more like .5 to 1 lb a week. :) Its hard for me to eat much more then I already do though.

Nope, guess again. With so little to go, 0.5 lb/week is about right. You should not be aiming to lose 1 lb/week. Your body needs fuel to work properly and you likely aren't giving it what it needs. It won't over-stuff you to add in a couple hundred calories. There is plenty of room in your diary for more vegetables. Snack on veg and hummus. A handful of nuts. Cook your chicken in a healthy oil. None of these are terribly filling but will help you get the energy you need.
  • tressieazbill
    Options

Maybe I should strive more like .5 to 1 lb a week. :) Its hard for me to eat much more then I already do though.

Nope, guess again. With so little to go, 0.5 lb/week is about right. You should not be aiming to lose 1 lb/week. Your body needs fuel to work properly and you likely aren't giving it what it needs. It won't over-stuff you to add in a couple hundred calories. There is plenty of room in your diary for more vegetables. Snack on veg and hummus. A handful of nuts. Cook your chicken in a healthy oil. None of these are terribly filling but will help you get the energy you need.

I use coconut oil when I cook and I have trail mix usually although I have been taking a break from that cause im getting sick of it. I have 2-3 servings of veggies a day..Like yesterday I had broccoli with my pasta and I had avacado and tomato with my lunch. And I have chicken or fish almost every day for dinner.Yesterday was my veg out day and I didnt eat the healthiest for dinner but I normally have fajitas or bbq chicken or fish tacos etc
  • tressieazbill
    Options
    Yes I agree..Its just so hard for me to say no to either cause I enjoy them so much! I may cut Zumba down to once a week. and p90x skip yoga. so I will be working out 6 times a week.
    In my opinion you are doing way too much activity, regardless of whether or not you up your calories. P90x is pretty taxing on the body. I would just do that and skip the zumba, if you feel cardio is necessary doubled with P90x a 15 minute walk should be ok. Just my 2 cents.