Protien Powder ?

Options
I have never used Protien Powder but would like to try some. My Qestion I want a GOOD one that really tastes good. Give me a Brand name and should I start with van or choc. I live in the US so I need a brand I can get here. Can you buy just a small amout to start or do you have to buy that really big bottle of it.

Replies

• Browneyedgirl140
    Browneyedgirl140 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first protein powder last week. I went to a GNC store, I told the person what I looking for based on my goals, workouts, etc. He pointed me to Gnc Amp - Advanced Muscle Performance** - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme. He also had a few samples for me to try. I ended up getting chocolate and fruit punch. I tried the chocolate in store and loved it, I am not keen onthe fruit punch. If you go to a strore ask if they are providing samples. Also they have smaller bags that is about half the cost of a big bottle so people can try.

I hope this helps...good luck finding on you like.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    1st Step Whey is great! They offer Vanilla or Triple Chocolate. I mix it with soy or almond milk and it tastes like a milkshake. You can add it to anything though. I have even put a little in oatmeal. It is sweet but only contains 2g of sugar per serving. You can get it at Walgreens.
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wal-mart has it pretty cheap in the pharmacy section.

I use the Body Fortress brand. I put it in my oatmeal every morning. I really like it. I have never just mixed it with water, though.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different kinds and I like Optimum Nutrition brand the best. If you are looking for a shake for anytime and/or post work out look at their pro-complex. I only drink protein shakes post work out and I use Hydrowhey.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Shop around and see if you can get any samples or small containers cheap. There are tons of different kinds out there... what someone else likes you may not like.

Personally I like Muscle Maxx which I buy at Walmart (I'm in Canada... not sure if the US stores carry it). I love both the vanilla and the chocolate ones. Vanilla is good to mix in with fruit.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    My always thin/always fit brother recommended whey protein so I got the ON Gold Standard Protein Powder (chocolate, of course) at GNC. I like it, I add it to skim milk and I have one of those shaker cups so it's also easy to take to work and add milk later. I just started with a personal trainer at my subdivision's gym and he recommended V-Core, it's a little leaner. I just got it this week - chocolate, again - and I really like it. I've got to have ice cold milk, so when I throw some ice cubes in and shake it, this one seems to be more of a shake and less like chocolate milk than the other.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just a tip....try and buy one that contains Whey Isolate...much better absorbtion for muscles.
  • sweatinontheeastcoast
    Options
    I'd also throw in a vote for Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. You can get it at GNC or online at bodybuilding.com. I love the chocolate, vanilla, and chocolate mint (good for just mixing with water/milk when you can't blend in fruit). The gym I go to carries Dymatize Elite but I've found it very hit or miss. Hated their vanilla and brownie batter is nasty, but I did enjoy the cafe mocha.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Bluebonnet Whey Protein Isolate.

Best protein powder I've ever tasted.
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am intolerant of fake /processed sugars (aspartame, sucralose, phenylalanine and the like). I use Isopure Natural vanilla Whey isolate and it is outstanding.
  • cfr60
    cfr60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jarrow Rice Protein Powder. I buy it at Whole Foods. I find whey a bit tough to digest and find the rice protein powders a bit more gentle. I like all of their flavors; chocolate, vanilla and mixed berry. The powder is also low in calories and sugar. I usually use with some almond milk, frozen fruit and a 1/2 frozen banana to make a protein shake for breakfast. Or I will use 1/2 frozen banana with peaunt butter and chocolate powder for a more indulgent version.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    One more vote for Optimum Nutrition.
  • LemonMint6
    Options
    I just started using Jay Robb Whey Protein, Chocolate, it's a whey isolate, no artificial sweeteners (but does contain sweeteners, no fat, 1 carb, 25 protein. I mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

If you like milk chocolate you'll pry like it. I felt that it was very sweet and could probably do without the stevia, but I do not have a sweet tooth in the slightest.

All in all it's tasty. I bought it at Whole Foods, and they have single serve packets of most of their protein powders if you wanted to try a few different ones before you committed the money to a lot of a single kind.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    if you pm me with your address, i'll be happy to send you some in a baggie. I've done it before!
  • imjenjen00
    Options
    Plant Fusion in vanilla or chocolate is delicious! It's all plant based so there's no whey (doesn't agree with me) or gluten. It's a very fine powder so it mixes well in smoothies or oatmeal.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I love Visalus. It smells like cupcakes and tastes great with just soy or almond milk or mixed with fruits.
  • P8riot0366
    Options
    Stay away from Soy protein. Choose whey protein in whatever flavor you enjoy most.
  • ohare1982
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, only way to go.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    1st Step Whey is great! They offer Vanilla or Triple Chocolate. I mix it with soy or almond milk and it tastes like a milkshake. You can add it to anything though. I have even put a little in oatmeal. It is sweet but only contains 2g of sugar per serving. You can get it at Walgreens.

I thought I was the only one who used this :wink:. I really like it too. I have both flavors. I mix it with lots of things and I have put it in oatmeal too. If you go to their website, there's a $2 off coupon.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I use Six Star Pro Nutrition Whey Protein+ in Triple Chocolate, freaking delicious!