almond milk or soy milk?

Options
which is best almond milk or soy milk or should I just do my skim milk. Just what to know what is the best for nutrition.

Replies

• Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    They are both good for you :) It really depends on brands. I prefer soy milk (the taste) over almond. BUt I believe in most brands Almond milk is better for you. I would take a look at the back of the container when you are out shopping next and avoid anything with too high of sodium or saturated fat :)
  • pharma1
    pharma1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    soy milk unsweetend is great but don't always go for branded sainsburys own in cartons is just as good as the major brands but 1/3 the price, I find that it doesn't have as definate a taste as almond
  • lovelymrsbasham
    Options
    I've had vanilla almond milk before and it was very sweet to me. I prefer the light vanilla silk soy milk or the regular silk soy milk over almond milk. :) It really depends on your personal taste but I have noticed that in my opinion the silk brand tastes much better than the off-brands.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    I love the almond milk (Vanilla).... I enjoyed the soy Vanilla as well, but I was told that soy wasn't good if you had hormonal issues or that it could cause hormonal issues and since I already deal with a whole host of hormone issues I switched from soy to almond...I think that may be a controversial topic and I am NO expert so you can take it or leave it or go read up on it.. I've never been a big milk drinker anyhow and hate skim milk so it was an easy choice for me to go either way... I usually buy Silk or Blue Diamond brands
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your preference. For me, I love almond milk. Different brands taste completely different, so try a couple. I like that it has a lot of calcium and few calories (the unsweetened kind I use only has 40 per cup), and it doesn't upset my stomach like cow's milk. I've read a lot of questionable stuff about soy, so I try to limit my consumption of soy products just to be safe. And since I use milk pretty often, I don't want to be using a lot of soy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and have a history of breast cancer in the family so I stay away from cows milk and soy. I usually get unsweetened almond milk although I prefer the taste of chocolate soy.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk FTW
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like vanilla soy milk - light. (Silk). It has less sugar than skim milk and it also keeps longer in the fridge then regular milk. I also like the Silk Chocolate light - soy milk. Very tasty.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I love the almond milk (Vanilla).... I enjoyed the soy Vanilla as well, but I was told that soy wasn't good if you had hormonal issues or that it could cause hormonal issues and since I already deal with a whole host of hormone issues I switched from soy to almond...I think that may be a controversial topic and I am NO expert so you can take it or leave it or go read up on it.. I've never been a big milk drinker anyhow and hate skim milk so it was an easy choice for me to go either way... I usually buy Silk or Blue Diamond brands

I'm no expert either (and I've used both kinds, and liked both)...but I've also been told to stay away from soy because most soybean plants are genetically modified to withstand pests, weather, etc. It's hard to know what is and what isn't anymore...so I'm leaning toward the almond milk now.
  • tarakc20
    Options
    Soy mimics estrogen in the body and they suggest you limit your weekly servings to avoid increasing your risk for breast cancer. I also prefer the taste of unsweetened almond milk over soy milk.
  • sigsiddy
    sigsiddy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Soy is not good for your Thyroid. I have a goiter and avoid Soy. I love the sweetened vanilla Almond!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I prefer unsweetened almond milk because I think it tastes better. I think it also has less calories than soy, so that's an added benefit. You can always Google the differences.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Studies have linked soy to breast and ovarian cancer. My oncologist actually recommends organic whole milk if you can get it.

But if you don't have such concerns, I'd go with almond milk.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love the Vanilla Almond Milk. I used to drink Soy, but then my body started having issues with the soy, so I made the switch over to almond milk :-)
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Interesting...will have to try almond milk!
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond mmmmm :heart:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Id stay away from soy or skim milk and stick to almond milk if your going to use
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is good!
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If I buy regular milk I always buy organic - it last A LONG TIME!!!!

I don't like the taste of soy milk.

I LOOOVE Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Yuuummmm
  • InsuranceBabe
    InsuranceBabe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Almond for sure! Unsweetend, if you want sweetend add Stevia, you get to control how sweet & what it's sweetened with. It's yummy on strawberries and a crushed graham cracker. Reminds me of strawberries and cream.