Options
    I like hemp, it's super creamy.
  • rubyangler
    Options
    I make my own almond milk
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Soy milk isn't hard to make at all, and you can buy raw soy nuts online in bulk for pretty cheap. I'd say that's the best option, since you can control EXACTLY how much sugar/flavoring you put in!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that there were cancer risks associated with soy!!! I've just switched to it from almond milk because the taste isn't so strong and almond milk seems to curdle in my tea!! Which other milks (non dairy) are good instead of almond or soy?
  • wrests
    Options
    I had no idea that there were cancer risks associated with soy!!! I've just switched to it from almond milk because the taste isn't so strong and almond milk seems to curdle in my tea!! Which other milks (non dairy) are good instead of almond or soy?
    Honestly I think it's trendy pseudo-science. Look at cancer rates in countries with large soy consumption- the numbers are smaller than in the US. Soy's perfectly healthy and you can continue to drink it. If you MUST worry about those things, you're in for a headache, because even bottled water is supposed to cause cancer.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In general soy milk has more protein and fat, almond milk has less calories. So, it depends on what you are looking for in a milk.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm no expert either (and I've used both kinds, and liked both)...but I've also been told to stay away from soy because most soybean plants are genetically modified to withstand pests, weather, etc. It's hard to know what is and what isn't anymore...so I'm leaning toward the almond milk now.

I've never seen a soy milk that wasn't organic. Organic = not GMO
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I had no idea that there were cancer risks associated with soy!!!

that's because there aren't
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it's trendy pseudo-science. Look at cancer rates in countries with large soy consumption- the numbers are smaller than in the US. Soy's perfectly healthy and you can continue to drink it. If you MUST worry about those things, you're in for a headache, because even bottled water is supposed to cause cancer.

I have to respectfully disagree with this comment. Those that carry the BRCA genes and are already at a high risk for "woman cancers" (for lack of a better stupid term) should avoid soy. The hormone adjustments that soy makes to the body can be enough to trigger cancer cells to form. My great-grandmother, grandmother and mother all had breast or ovarian cancer. All their oncologists (including mine during my cancer scare) all of which are independent from each other, all recommended to cut out soy. And the cancer centers that my Grandmother and Mother went to (once again, independent from each other), all recommended no soy.

Of course having the BRCA gene already increases your risk of developing woman cancers but why take the increased risk? But as I stated before, if this isn't a concern of yours (of course it's mine as I carry the BRCA gene) I'm not taking the risk.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I am not a milk drinker but have tried both and prefer Almond Vanilla milk..it is soooo yummy!
  • wrests
    Options

I have to respectfully disagree with this comment. Those that carry the BRCA genes and are already at a high risk for "woman cancers" (for lack of a better stupid term) should avoid soy. The hormone adjustments that soy makes to the body can be enough to trigger cancer cells to form. My great-grandmother, grandmother and mother all had breast or ovarian cancer. All their oncologists (including mine during my cancer scare) all of which are independent from each other, all recommended to cut out soy. And the cancer centers that my Grandmother and Mother went to (once again, independent from each other), all recommended no soy.

Of course having the BRCA gene already increases your risk of developing woman cancers but why take the increased risk? But as I stated before, if this isn't a concern of yours (of course it's mine as I carry the BRCA gene) I'm not taking the risk.
    Not to get into a debate (since presumably neither of us are in the field of research, so neither of us have 100% accurate information), but I've seen several studies that note that women who eat soy actually have LESS of a chance of having breast cancer. Now, I'm going to assume that, since the subjects were in China for the particular study I'm thinking of...they are also compatible with the findings of the China Study. Meaning, basically, they ate a mostly vegan diet as well as consuming soy, which would further lower their risk. It's fine for you to avoid it, however, I was just pointing out that there are a great many sources on both sides of the issue!

edit: just one of many
    http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects
    /complementaryandalternativemedicine/dietandnutrition/soybean
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Not to get into a debate (since presumably neither of us are in the field of research, so neither of us have 100% accurate information), but I've seen several studies that note that women who eat soy actually have LESS of a chance of having breast cancer. Now, I'm going to assume that, since the subjects were in China for the particular study I'm thinking of...they are also compatible with the findings of the China Study. Meaning, basically, they ate a mostly vegan diet as well as consuming soy, which would further lower their risk. It's fine for you to avoid it, however, I was just pointing out that there are a great many sources on both sides of the issue!

You seem to miss where I keep pointing out the BRCA gene.

But yes, I'm not here to start a debate. It's just not something I'm exposing myself to.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Unsweetend Almond for me too!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Almond, obviously. Soy is for people who love raising estrogen and effing up their thyroid. <-- speaking from experience.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Soy mimics estrogen in the body and they suggest you limit your weekly servings to avoid increasing your risk for breast cancer. I also prefer the taste of unsweetened almond milk over soy milk.

This and its genetically modified so that it would poison bugs and be tolerate of pesticides. So I avoid it.
  • keychick25
    keychick25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Soy is TERRIBLE for you! Seriously avoid it at all cause!

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Breast milk?
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm a regular soy milk girl all the way. I tried regular almond milk, but blah! It wasn't for me.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk FTW

/high fives

Awesome on cereal!!