Anybody who has lost weight and gained it back?

Options
13»

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Is there anybody who has been in the same situation?
    Can you give me any advice?
    Is it common that you lose weight more slowly after losing weight and than gaining it back?

Yes, I actually told you that in your post from yesterday.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    This topic is blasphemy...the body is never in flux.... :laugh:

Seriously, your body is always changing. It's up to the choices you make on the food and beverages you drink. Awareness, moderation, are keys
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I went from 170 to 135 ten years ago during my sophomore year of college. Then every year I gained about 5-10 lbs. I peaked at 214 in 2011! I stopped watching what I ate, and it slowly went up. I think I went up a pant size every year. I let stress get the better of me and ate away my feelings.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I have gained 80+ pounds thrice. This time though, is the last time. I have finally figured out how to exist in a healthy and mindful way, so that when I get to my healthy size, I will be able to stay there.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs and 10.5 inches off of my body doing Insanity. I got lazy for 2 months and did whatever I wanted and gained all of it. Pounds and inches. 8 lbs may not seem like a lot but I am a small person so it's harder for me to lose a little weight.

Best advice I can give you is REMEMBER: You did it once! You can do it again!

That's what is motivating me. I am back at Insanity and determined to do it again.

It's hard for people to notice every little change...Don't go off of what others think...go off of how you feel and remember to take pics and measurements. Good luck!
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yup, 7 years ago I dropped to 115 after I had my first child. Before I got pregnant I was at 150. It was basically all diet, too. Well, and breastfeeding, lol. He had massive food allergies and I adjusted my diet accordingly. I was down to fruits, veggies, meats and rice.
    Then I got pregnant again (was back up to about 120-125 then), lost most of the weight again, but was around 130 or so. Now I'm at 140, and that's after dropping 4 pounds. Its frustrating, but I know its because I stopped moving so much. When I was working it seemed like I was always up and moving around, now I stay home with the kids and I just don't do as much!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight and regained it so many times I can't even count.
    I usually gain at least 20 pounds through the winter (sometimes more) and spend all summer trying to get it off.
    MFP helped me maintain, so once it's warmer and I start working out harder I'll be ahead of the game for once.
    I really believe I will be much more aware now and be able to keep it off.
  • Abi_bug04
    Abi_bug04 Posts: 220
    Options
    Yeah, I've definitely been through this too!

Three years ago I was very serious about losing weight, and by eating right and working out like crazy (Twice a day!) I lost 35lbs in 2 months! I got tonnes of compliments, felt so good in my skin and was so happy by the fast progress and how quickly my hard work paid off.

Eventually, I gained it all back (and a little bit more) because I always had the mindset that it was a temporary change. That once I got "skinny" I could just eat whatever I want and not care. And also because I had set up an unsustainable routine that was not possible to sustain long term. Now, three years later, and after some annoying hurdles along the way, I am back at it as of Jan 7th- and this time it s going EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW! It's been almost a month, and I have lost 7 pounds...only 2 in the past 3 weeks...and this is very discouraging and frustrating to me, since the last time I did it, I had lost 25lbs in the first month.

However, this time I am trying to think of it as a lifestyle change. Knowingly eating the way that I want to eat for the rest of my life. Learning more about my body along the way. Calculating my TDEE and my BMR. Doing it the slow and steady way so that this time around, I can actually achieve my goals.

It's hard to see a 0.2lb loss after 2 weeks of hard work, but knowing that you are doing it in a healthy way, and knowing that you are making the best decisions for your body...and seeing that it is not all about the number on the scale is definitely new to me- and definitely worth it!

You can do it, again! You definitely can!
    Feel free to add me, and we can motivate each other! :flowerforyou:
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and it's very very frustrating. I started on MFP March 2011 and lost 47 pounds that year. My starting weight was 197. So I got down to 150. Then, BAM!!!! in February 2012 I got a very bad case on shin splints from working out and I had to stop working out. I gained most of the weight back. I still logged everything and saw myself going out of control. I am so mad. Now I am back up to 182 so my weight loss is only 15 pounds now. I wish I could get the motivation to move again. I still log everything and am hoping one of these days I'll get back on track. Part of my problem is I have to take medication twice a day and it has to be taken with a fairly large meal. I wish I could just go on a veggie diet but my medication needs protein to work. Plus I am 55 and in menopause and it seems impossible to lose weight. I am so frustrated and just want to cry. So I am in a deep depression and sleep all day. I know I need to get back on track but I am at a loss as to how. Anyway, thanks for listening. Good luck to everyone. Susan
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I lost 20, gained 40, and now have lost 22, still hangin' in there. Keep after it!
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been there and done that and have the photos to prove it.

I've gained, lost, gained, and lost for most of my adult life. For most of my 20's and 30's, it was just the same 10 pounds I gained and lost. In my 40's, I gained more than I lost. At my highest, I was 217. I lost 85 pounds in 2004-2005 and kept it off for several years, though I have gained about 25 of that back. I am now back into loss mode, for the last time (again!).

Practice doesn't make it easier, and age makes it harder. That just means I have to work harder and be patient.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have gained and lost 40-70 pounds every 2-5 years since I was 18 and I am 40 now. It gets harder every time, but I get older too. I used to be able to drop 40 pounds in 3 months. Now I can lose about 50-60 pounds per year.

I think this is a big reason why I'm not subscribing to the "you have to work out HARD or go home" stuff like I did before. I was really intense and would get burned out. My biggest goal is just to stay active and make healthier choices. It's not all or none, and I have to stop looking at it that way.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been there two other times. The first time I lost 55lbs and gained it all back. The second time I lost 65lbs and became pregnant and gained 85lbs back. This time it has definitely been harder and I have also been diagnosed with Thyroid disease but you have to keep telling yourself you are worth sheadding this extra baggage! You deserve a better body and better self image!

My motivation this time is my son, I want to be around for a very long time for him and possible future siblings, I want to be able to run at least a 5K and I want to become a Zumba instructor! All of these ambitions are what keep me going!
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh, my! It's like everyone is telling my story!
    Losing doesn't seem to be the problem, it's maintenance.
    Even though I don't subscribe to the whole low-carb Dukhan thing, I did read his book (I have an addiction to anything self-help) and he has a great point about after one gets to 'ideal weight'. He talks about consolidating the weight you've just fantastically lost over time, because this new body you have isn't really yours yet. You have to inhabit it for a while and learn how to manage it. Pretty interesting concept.
  • Marlanehensley
    Options
    loose weight for yourself...not for kids or partner..I felt the way you did once but decicded to buckle down and start because I thought I might be worth it..you will be surprised at what doors and windows open up for you..2 steps forward 1 back thats ok...just start: