Nike Fuel Band. Pros and Cons?

Options
I'm thinking or purchasing a Fuel band. But I do not want to waste my money if it isn't a good investment. I usually work out at home with Dvds or the treadmill. Will this be any good to calculate my calories during them?

Replies

• mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of information overload at times, but this is a very detailed review of the Fuel Band by a well known blogger among the triathlete community.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/nike-fuelband-in-depth-review.html
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I have one its just not that accurate. The only way it calculates calories is my arm movement so if you're not moving your arms it wont show anything. The bodymedia devices are more accurate and you can find deals like on amazon to make it a lot cheaper than the fuel band

It does make a cool watch though.
  • Joeypox
    Joeypox Posts: 37
    Options
    I have one. I bought it when it first came out. The novelty of it was great! I also have friends with it so we constantly compete. It isn't very accurate like noted and is based mostly on arm movement (so sometimes even tho my leg days i burn the most calories it won't reflect that) It does come in handy since I have a desk job so it kind of reminds me to move around everyone once in a while.

I think if I were to choice between heart rate monitor and fuel band... for functionality HRM... for fun and social reason... Fuel Band... Just my opinion!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    just invest in a HRM, you can get nice ones for well under $100. you enter your age weight height and sex and it calculates your calorie burns regardless of if you're stationary on a bike or doing a workout video, etc. The fuel band does not look like a good investment. I talked to the salesman at the nike store about it, its pretty, but unless you're flailing your arms about it wont do you any good.
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit One but my son has a fuel band. I asked him for his opinion and (to my surprise) he suggested that a Fitbit would be the better option as it syncs with MFP. He also said that the Fuel Band takes no account of the calories you burn simply by being alive (BMR).
    Hope this helps
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    pros: they look cool

cons: they use a proprietary measure 'fuel points' and functionality is really limited. they're also really expensive

my favorite workout gizmo by far is my Motoactv. i don't think the gadget really gained any popularity in the market but it has tons of features and a great price point. it also has GPS and bluetooth so you can use accessories like wireless HRM's or bicycle sensors to get more accurate measures of your workout burn.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Garmin but i know Polar makes great products and i've also had a timex HRM and a New balance. I almost bought this one, but went for a GPS/ HRM watch instead.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=104012&pvID=104252
  • pzinzn
    pzinzn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One activity tracker and I think it's great. My husband has the fuelband and it's not as accurate and I don't think it works with MFP. However, the fitbit automatically calculates how many calories you burn during the day (due to exercise and basic metabolic stuff) and updates directly to your MFP account, so it can even adjust your calorie allowance based on how active you've been. It's small, can be hidden easily and it only needs to be charged about once a week.
  • texastango
    Options

cons: they use a proprietary measure 'fuel points' and functionality is really limited. they're also really expensive

my favorite workout gizmo by far is my Motoactv. i don't think the gadget really gained any popularity in the market but it has tons of features and a great price point. it also has GPS and bluetooth so you can use accessories like wireless HRM's or bicycle sensors to get more accurate measures of your workout burn.

Would love to know more about this device. I don't want to get too technical for this blog/forum but the higher end HRMs allow you to monitor how long you're in different "zones" like fat burning or cardio...and may even allow you to set the zones (there are several formulas out there for calculating the zone for you including some that adjust for your resting HR). The problem with man of these are they only measure HR.

Some devices also have accelerometers or skin temp sensors (ie bodymedia) and might be better for measuring cals utilzed during exercise such as resistance training.

Better monitors also allow you to track separate workouts in the same day:
    Example: Triatheletes wanting to know times/cals burned for run, swim, bike separately and how long during each exercise they were in certain zones.

For me - when doing a lot of stop and start exercise - dance - I am curious how much energy I expend during a waltz vs. a Cha Cha, vs a Rumba vs 2 step or salsa or swing.

Simple HRM or Bodymedia monitors will work for most people (if they are accurate) but for most wanting higher end functions, they are likely to cost more.

LAST THOUGHTS: Is the battery easily replaceable or do you have to buy a whole new unit? Is the display easy to see in sunlight or in the dark? Does it display the data while your using it so you don't have to download it first?

OH YEA - One last thing.....for you swimmers out there (like myself) - WATERPROOF and most of the time the water will interfer with GPS tracking (ie cals based on distance etc). I believe the NIKE device is waterproof to swim with. Have a friend with it...but also thought it's utility (fuel points) etc was limited for what I need.

Your thoughts on your device?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Look at the Bodymediafit. Supposed to be 95% accurate.
  • jacobjacksmom
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I decided against the fuel band. And now researching the Polar rt4
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit instead.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use fitbit for daily activity andan FT4 for exercise.
  • ruthh33
    Options
    New to MFP (very nice!) and returning to exercise after maybe a year and a half off (laziness, shortness of breath). Must start slowly because I am also a heart patient. (4x CABG 1994, 3 angioplasties w/ total of 7 stents). Cardiologist just cleared me to go back to exercising. I'm a 69-yo female, BTW, about 150 lbs, 5'4 1/2".

Got a Nike Fuelband in August which (while not accurate, as noted) does a fantastic job of reminding me to move around. Husband and I compete ("I'll get it, I need the fuelpoints"). :-) For now, it will have to do. I've also just rejoined Curves, which is listed in the database, so that's easy to record. How can I record the remaining exercise of the day, minimal though it may be? (Sedentary job, but home-based in house with lots of stairs.) Readout gives me calories, "fuelpoints", and "steps", but measured day by day, not by amount of time. How to enter? I need it for the motivation. :-)

Thanks for any help.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, but want a HRM for more accurate measurements of exertion during exercise. I'm going to look up the Polar products and a couple of others.
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Would love to know more about this device. I don't want to get too technical for this blog/forum but the higher end HRMs allow you to monitor how long you're in different "zones" like fat burning or cardio...and may even allow you to set the zones (there are several formulas out there for calculating the zone for you including some that adjust for your resting HR). The problem with man of these are they only measure HR.

Some devices also have accelerometers or skin temp sensors (ie bodymedia) and might be better for measuring cals utilzed during exercise such as resistance training.

Better monitors also allow you to track separate workouts in the same day:
    Example: Triatheletes wanting to know times/cals burned for run, swim, bike separately and how long during each exercise they were in certain zones.

For me - when doing a lot of stop and start exercise - dance - I am curious how much energy I expend during a waltz vs. a Cha Cha, vs a Rumba vs 2 step or salsa or swing.

Simple HRM or Bodymedia monitors will work for most people (if they are accurate) but for most wanting higher end functions, they are likely to cost more.

LAST THOUGHTS: Is the battery easily replaceable or do you have to buy a whole new unit? Is the display easy to see in sunlight or in the dark? Does it display the data while your using it so you don't have to download it first?

OH YEA - One last thing.....for you swimmers out there (like myself) - WATERPROOF and most of the time the water will interfer with GPS tracking (ie cals based on distance etc). I believe the NIKE device is waterproof to swim with. Have a friend with it...but also thought it's utility (fuel points) etc was limited for what I need.

Your thoughts on your device?

On the MotoActv - the battery is not replaceable but I've had mine for a while and battery life is still good. I charge the device once a week or so. The unit is basically a small smart phone - it runs on an Android platform that is set up for the small screen and workout features. It also has bluetooth and wifi for automatic synching of workout data and pairing with accessories (HRM's, sensors, headphones, display texts from your smartphone).

The screen is readable in sunlight or in the dark and the settings are adjustable for both. The on screen display provides good basic info about your workout like distance, cals, lap times (can record laps manually or automatically), pace, etc. There is different info available for different activities like golf - I've never used the feature but it can display drive distance and that sort of stuff.

There is an online portal that has much more detailed info about your workouts and an in-depth history. You can even see what songs you listened to and automatically create 'performance playlists' based on the songs during which you exert the most intensity. You can use the portal and device to set up a workout plan and track your progress and you can also participate in challenges with random people or with friends.