Just out of curiousity...

Options
What diet plans is everyone using, if you care to share?

I am not really new to this site, but I used to use another, but found it not to be as supportive in my weight loss. But I do seem to like this site much more, and am back on the "wagon" and using it daily for the past week.

So I guess I am just kinda nosey as to what everyone else is doing to lose? :)

Replies

• minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Diet plans? I don't look at it as a diet. I just eat as healthy as possible. I like to eat organic whenever possible and stay away from processed foods. I enjoy exercising and have a passion for running.

In order to lose weight you have to follow a few steps....1) Eat healthy 2) Watch your portions/calories 3) Exercise.

Pretty Easy huh?

Good luck to you!
  • veganmommy04
    Options
    well, i don't really have a "diet". i'm vegan, but i've had the same pesky 10-20 lbs hanging around for a few years, and even if i was going by the calories mfp says i should be getting, i wasn't loseing so as of last night, i have cut my calories down alot, and i started the couch to 5k along with the exercises i already do. good luck to you though. and i hope my new approach works for me!
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am just counting calories, eating better and being more active. That's it ! No diet plan for me .
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, but maybe I should have been more specific. I was using "diet plan" as a general term, like some people do low carb, low cal, weight watchers, etc etc. Whatever "IT" is that you are using to accomplish your goal. Obviously, exercise is a factor.
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am just counting calories, eating better and being more active. That's it ! No diet plan for me .

This is what I am doing to! And so far its working for me!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a diet per se, but what I do is pretty easy, I get most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables and the rest from only (or mostly) whole grains, I use little oil (almost never butter)and it's always olive or canola, I am vegetarian so I take in very little saturated fat and cholesterol. I eat a lot of soy like tofu and tempeh (which is really high in protein). I drink lots and lots of water, I limit alcohol and I do cardio every day, yep 7 days a week (sometimes 6, but rarely do I skip a day) mixed up with a few days of strenght training. the only processed foods I eat are packaged veggie burgers, which are lower in sodium than many other packaged foods and I love them so much so I'm not giving them up. that's about it
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm of the same mindset as the other two--I'm trying to change my lifestyle to eat better and exercise more (especially now that I'm done university... hopefully that'll translate to more exercise time!). I'm using Dr. Phil's method--you start off with a really narrow selection of what to eat (mostly veggies), then your choices broaden. It's very livable, and I've modified it a bit (I eat more dairy than recommended because I need the calcium), and it's worked for me in the past. I'm also trying out a couch to 5k program to give myself a goal to exercise for.

Good luck!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would not call what I am doing a diet plan, but a lifestyle plan and it has worked successfully for me. 1. I asked 6 personal friends to be my accountability group and I email them every Monday (I started on a Monday in January) to update them on my progress or difficulties. 2. I created a chart on my bathroom mirror blocked off in weekly sections from January through the end of May where I write in my weight every Monday morning (dry erase markers) with a picture of my obese mother at the start (what I am trying to avoid) and a picture of a physically fit woman (not a super model by any means) at the bottom. 3. I gave up white flour and white sugar in general (meaning I don't panic if I eat some fraction of it in something I am not aware of, but don't eat breads, baked goods, etc....) 4. I choose mainly fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, white chicken, and fish, though also eat steak, pork, and whole wheat pasta occasionally (in general I eat the perimeter of the grocery store, not the inner aisles). 5. When I started, for at least the 1st 2 months, I ate activia yogurt with walnuts on top every morning as a means to get my digestive system in order. 6. I ALWAYS drink more than 8 glasses of water a day as well as some tea of some form (hot, unsweet, green). 7. I faithfully log in my food intake every day and don't fudge. 8. Knowing that exercise would be my weak leak, I only committed to 2x a week for 30 minutes when I began, but because I am feeling so much better that has increased, but on my goals I am only committed to 2x a week for 45 minutes. My goal was to lose 40 pounds every how long it took me and to maintain at that weight. Currently I have lost 36 and the last 4 are stalling, but I know they will come off and I can enter maintenance phase, at which time I do want to treat myself to an extravagant dessert platter! Hope this helps. I too will be interested in what other people are doing, as we are all different and find different paths to accomplish our goals.
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    I really love the food diary - It really helps keep me on track!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think what you need to understand in order to accomplish your goal and maintain your goal all the "low cal, no carb, weight watchers, and so on" can help you lose the weight, but you need to make your lifestyle change. It isn't about low cal and no carb it is about eating healthy and not over consuming. Stick with what is planted and try to eat fresh. A typical day for me is eggs, whole wheat toast, fruits, vegetables, chicken, spinach and so on. I don't do the "fad" diet stuff. Your Diet Plan= Fresh healthy foods, exercise and portion control.
  • caymanmice
    caymanmice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, basically I really watch the calories and stay under the goal. I also do some sort of exercise/activity to burn the calories such as walking, riding my bike or doing yard work, mowing etc. I hope this helps! I been on Myfitnesspal since February 2010 and lost 19 lbs!:bigsmile:
  • dahliagrower11
    dahliagrower11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the common sense approaches that everyone else is following. It really comes down to a better awareness of what you put in your body and making choices. Balance is important -- and knowing that occasionally you can have that glass of wine or small dessert. "Holton" has really got all the basics that I see are important. I'm not into some of the fad exercise routines - I just try to do some activity - walking - gardening - and once a week at the gym (rowing - weights etc)....nothing that is extraordinary. I only started MFP in late April but I am already finding that my habits are changing --- in a good way.
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to MFP! To me, this is not a diet, this is a journey down a road I have never been successful on! This is not a short fix, but a long road ahead. I have never been successful at a "diet". Don't like the word at ALL. I am here to help though, if you will help me in return! I started here at 247.8 lbs on 3/18/10. I am now at 219.5 and feeling GREAT about myself!!! CAN WE DO IT? YES WE CAN!!! (sorry....15 grandchildren later, I am still into cartoons!) Pkease accept me as a friend...........and we will travel, succeed and WIN together!! Thanks, Mel
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    About 6 weeks ago I lost my kitchen to a total renovation and since I had no way to cook anything I switched over to raw/living food (mostly). I love the way I'm eating now and can see myself doing this for a long time. I signed up for figure skating lessons to get myself exercising and also dusted off my bike and started riding more when the weather became nice. I walk/run my 4 big dogs almost everday for about an hour, more on weekends usually when I have the time to walk them seperately. And just this week I started working out to Jillian Michaels again. In 6 weeks I've lost 10 lbs which is absolutely amazing for me because I am the smallest I've been in 10 years!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I agree with the others - "diet" implies that it's something you'll do and then go off. But in my experience, that's when I take that approach I either give up because I haven't lost what I wanted or slowly start gaining it back because I revert to bad habits. So I'm counting my calories which will allow me to eat and drink what I want (though obviously I'm trying to eat fresh, healthy foods most of the time) and exercising religiously. I'm also trying to pay attention to what different foods make my body feel like, so I have eliminated white carbs and increased my protein a tiny bit, but that's not part of an eating plan, it's just eating what makes me feel best.
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am grandmother also just trying to lose weight
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've tried Weight Watchers, Atkins, and just about eveything else with a "name"... but the ONLY thing that has ever "worked" is what I'm doing now...
    I count my calories on MFP. I eat fruit and veggies at every meal along with some protein and some grains. I exercise a few times a week and I drink a ton of water. I've cut out 90% of the processed foods in my diet. As a general rule... if it comes in a can or a box... I try not to eat it. There are of course, exceptions - but as a general rule it works.

The best way I can describe it is that I've gone back to eating the way that our Grandparents and Great-Grandparents did... I try to make as much from "scratch" as I can. "Treats" are just that... treats... occasional things. Planning everything has been the key for me... as soon as I have to ask... "What do we want for dinner?" - things go downhill.

My typical breakfast is 2-3 egg whites cooked with a cup of spinach and a pinch of shredded cheddar. I put a little lite mayo on a low sodium rice cake or two (I like rice cakes a lot) and put the egg/spinach mixture on the rice cakes. A granny smith apple completes that meal.

Mid morning snack - another piece of fruit or carrot sticks and hummus.

Lunch - Low sodium turkey breast, lite mayo, a few pickles slices, tomato, and bean sprouts wrapped in lettuce leaves. And a low fat greek yogurt.

Mid afternoon - some nuts and 2 clementines

Dinner - a salad with homemade oil and vinegar dressing, 2-4 oz lean meat, 1/2 cup - 1 cup rice or brown rice noodles or 1/2 baked potato, and some sort of veggie (in our house that's usually broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, cabbage, carrots or green beans - I have a picky husband).

Depending on my workout that day I may have a snack or dessert... if it's dessert, I like the Skinny Cow Individual Ice Cream cups. If it's a snack - probably some veggies with hummus (I LOVE hummus) or cottage cheese or string cheese or another low fat greek yogurt.

I think the key for me so far has been that I've had to figure out how to plan healthy meals, shop for healthy groceries and learn what works within my lifestyle. Most of the "plans" that I've done felt limiting.... this to me, is like a game. Some days I feel like I want a lot to eat so I have to figure out - how can I get the maximum amount of volume for my calories... other days when I'm not hungry I have to figure out how to get more calories in smaller meals.

The biggest thing for me has been learning to disregard everything that I "thought" I knew about weight loss... because despite the fact that I've dieted my whole life and lost and regained more weight than I care to think about... I knew very little. This is SO EASY! I can honestly tell you that I am never hungry. This is not a diet - it's my life.
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. As everyone else here has said , for me this is a life style change and not a "diet". I am doing the Atkins plan and for me it works. I eat good fats, proteins and the carbs I eat are limited and come from mostly veggies. I drink any where from 64-100 oz. of water daily. I take a good vitamin supplement as well.

Right now exercise for me is light ....like walking every day for at least a half hour and then I do housework , garden and am outside with the kiddos a lot. Basically that is my plan and so far it works wonderfully. I feel better already and counting my calories is an important factor for me and that is why I joined here. Usually on Atkins they say you don't have to worry about counting calories but for me I found that was NOT TRUE so I had to tweak it to work for me. Good luck on your journey!!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I do My Fitness Pal! ....food - excercise < calories allowed!
  • AshleyMaire
    AshleyMaire Posts: 21
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds and kept it off for 4 years so far. I'm just sick of writing all my calories down, this is easier. You can't go on a "diet" They don't work...if you want lasting changes, you need to change your lifestyle. writing down what you eat is a great step, and ALWAYS eat breakfast! :) Those are the things that i live by. If I write it down, it forces me to look at what i'm eating, and pay attention to how my body feels. good luck!