Should we encourage the belief?

Options
Should we encourage the belief that kids have in Santa Claus?

Let the debate begin...

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Yes.

/discussion
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I never had Christmas as a child but the whole Santa claüs , tooth fairy thing seems something nice for children to have from what I've seen.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    uhhhh.gif
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Yes.

/discussion

Agreed.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What kind of nazi needs to ask something like that???
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm still angry at my brother for telling me Santa's not real. 20 years ago.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't do the entire "Santa" thing with my kids. They know who he is, but understand he is not real, just like Superman or Cartoons on TV. I have no problem with other people doing whatever they want with their kids though.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sure, they figure out the truth pretty quick
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Someone is incredibly bored.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    We don't do Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc at my house. We explain to the kids that those are wonderful stories, but they are not true.
    I don't want to lie to my kids. Santa is the first major lie we tell them, over and over.
    In all reality, Santa is no more real the Buzz Lighyear.

Just my 2 cents.
  • osmom3kids
    Options
    I do not think there is any harm in this but it is not something we do in our family. Christmas is about the birth of Christ for us, not presents and Santa. We have spoken to our kids about who the real Santa Claus was and how and why children believe in him.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not?

My kids belive in Santa. But they also know that the really cool presents come from their Father and I. Santa usually brings some lame educational toy ;)
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Santa's not real? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Thanks for spoiling my day/week/ year. :cry: :cry: :cry:

At least I know God and the tooth fairy are real. :drinker:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    We don't do Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc at my house. We explain to the kids that those are wonderful stories, but they are not true.
    I don't want to lie to my kids. Santa is the first major lie we tell them, over and over.

Just my 2 cents.

^^ This is certainly a legitimate approach, and I see its benefits, though I do not do it myself. We have encouraged our children to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy so they have those memories when they get older. In addition to it being just plain fun, it's also one of those mysteries that gives them a chance to slowly solve something on their own. As a result, I think it helps them develop their critical thinking skills. I know that may sound crazy, but the more I interact with my kids, the more I'm seeing that joking around with them, making up little stories, and whatnot, actually teaches them to think. My 7 year old and I often kid around like that, and she tries hard to figure out when I'm fibbing. We turn it into a chance for her to research a subject and learn. She's starting to get it when it comes to Santa, etc. and I just ask her "what do you think" when she asks me if they are real.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    ssqcFaf.jpg

NOT POSTING THIS PIC TO MOCK ANYONES BELIEVES. JUST TO MAKE A POINT

Everyone have their own believes. If somebody wants their kids to believe in Santa, whats the harm?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes...it's so much fun to watch them. My almost 3 year old was so excited this year about sitting on Santa's lap...Santa coming to the house...Santa eating the cookies and milk he left behind. Not to mention Christmas morning with some nice gifts from mom and dad under the tree, but all the awesome things he asked Santa for right there next to the fire place. Just the look on his face Christmas morning was friggin' priceless.

I say let them have their fun...they'll figure it out soon enough. More of their lives than not will ultimately be spent unable to believe in such things as magic...6-8 years isn't going to hurt 'em any.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

Just my 2 cents.

So you dont celebrate Christmas? Or do you focus on the actual purpose of Christmas...because Saint Nick was real.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    ssqcFaf.jpg

NOT POSTING THIS PIC TO MOCK ANYONES BELIEVES. JUST TO MAKE A POINT

Everyone have their own believes. If somebody wants their kids to believe in Santa, whats the harm?

Totally agree. One belief in something harmless, though meaningful should not be looked at negatively.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point in encouraging stories like santa, the tooth-fairy, etc is to give them something to believe in - as kids? Doesn't this promote IMAGINATION and CREATION?

I am FOR imagination and creation therefore I am for keeping the small beliefs in childhood for my children. My daughter was 10 before she finally made the decision to 'not believe' in santa but she wasn't upset over it, she wasn't crying, she wasn't taken back, she wasn't scared. she was okay with it.......
    My son - i think he'll be the same way.