Mcdonals Frappe DISASTER

Replies

• DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    The word "McDonalds" and "disaster" in the same sentence. Seems fitting, don't you think?
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    They ticked me off when I asked if I could get fat free milk in my iced coffee and they were like "NO!".

What's the big deal?

They're supposed to be all health concious now because the actually offer a salad.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    If the govt is serious about tackling obesity in this country they should mandate by law that every fast food item display: Cals, Carbs, Fat, and Protein on all ad signs/posters and beside the menu listings right where the prices are!

Honestly, imagine what an impact that would make to Frappe sales and McDonalds crap. It would force these companies to stop stuffing their foods with cream and sugar!
    There is a county in California that has made it illegal to sell "happy meals" (from any fast food place, not just McD's)
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    If the govt is serious about tackling obesity in this country they should mandate by law that every fast food item display: Cals, Carbs, Fat, and Protein on all ad signs/posters and beside the menu listings right where the prices are!

Honestly, imagine what an impact that would make to Frappe sales and McDonalds crap. It would force these companies to stop stuffing their foods with cream and sugar!

I agree about the nutritional posting, but most of the people of this country do not know how to read or understand nutritional charts. I don't mean that they can't read, but they really don't know and understand the significance of a calorie, a gram of fat, etc. Also, most people are just too busy to care and fast food companies, even with their offerings of "low calorie this" and "healthy that", are still focused on the almighty dollar.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member

I agree about the nutritional posting, but most of the people of this country do not know how to read or understand nutritional charts. I don't mean that they can't read, but they really don't know and understand the significance of a calorie, a gram of fat, etc. Also, most people are just too busy to care and fast food companies, even with their offerings of "low calorie this" and "healthy that", are still focused on the almighty dollar.

Yep, they definitely are. I had hoped it would put things into perspective when KFC brought out their ad saying each piece of chicken has only 7g fat (and maccas had claimed their healthy options e.g. salads had less than 10g fat). But unfortunately I think rather than realising that just because you can see the fat on the chicken and not in the salad doesn't mean it isn't in the salad, people simple thought the ad was a lie.... and so the cycle continues
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    The word "McDonalds" and "disaster" in the same sentence. Seems fitting, don't you think?

Right? I was thinking to myself that I was shocked that people were so shocked that the McDonald's Frappe was bad for them in the first place...
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member

They will be. Or at least it's part of the new healthcare bill that was passed. Some states already do.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member

They do. Or they will since it is a part of the new healthcare bill that was passed. Some states already do.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member

There is a county in California that has made it illegal to sell "happy meals" (from any fast food place, not just McD's)

This isn't quite what happened. The law that was passed required that TOYS no longer be offered as part of a kid's meal. I don't think the law actually banned selling the meal itself--just the free "incentive" for the kid to WANT the meal.
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member

They do. Or they will since it is a part of the new healthcare bill that was passed. Some states already do.

Yes, this will be mandated for restaurants with 20 or more locations. Smaller, family-owned type businesses will not be required to.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

This isn't quite what happened. The law that was passed required that TOYS no longer be offered as part of a kid's meal. I don't think the law actually banned selling the meal itself--just the free "incentive" for the kid to WANT the meal.
    [/quote]
    When I saw this on the Yahoo news page it said that they were making it illegal to sell happy meals. Either way, it's sad that the local Gov. feels they have to step in and help control childhood obesity because parents have failed to do so.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Calories-560
    Fat-24 grams
    Carbs-24 grams
    Sat Fat-15 grams
    Chol-70 mg
    :sad: :devil: Beware!
    Yikes, you could have the Asigo peppercorn steak from Applebees for less than that. :noway:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    When I saw this on the Yahoo news page it said that they were making it illegal to sell happy meals. Either way, it's sad that the local Gov. feels they have to step in and help control childhood obesity because parents have failed to do so.
    [/quote]
    Instead of taking toys out, why can't they force them to make happy meals, ect, healthier? Stop feeding your kids hamburgers and fries and sodas. Have grilled chicken instead. I like that McDonalds has some healthier stuff for kids like apples, milk, ect.
  • funfor5
    funfor5 Posts: 41 Member
    That happened to me at Panera Bread -- went there for lunch and ordered the Mediteranean Veggie sandwich -- thinking it was healthy - humus, and veggies - how could I go wrong ---- get home, check out website and 600+ calories in that little stinkin' sandwich --- ......it was the fancy bread, should have ordered it with the whole grain.

Oh Well, it tasted good - lol! Sometimes have to learn lessons the hard way!

Happy Friday everyone.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member

Hmm... I didn't know that, that's pretty cool. I know allot of people don't know how to read them, but it's not so difficult to learn how to read them, and when someone has an incentive (such as an awareness that their eating habit is killing them) then they will learn and with such information right up front it will give them a chance to think more about what they are about to eat and not just allow look and taste to be the main determinants. I could see it going a long way, there's an epidemic in this country and I think at the end of the day this populace needs to realize the only way to counter it really is to understand what food is, the concept of the calorie, and start to actively regulate their intake.
  • bumbleleigh
    bumbleleigh Posts: 13
    Ignore this...had to repost with the quote =)
  • bumbleleigh
    bumbleleigh Posts: 13
    They ticked me off when I asked if I could get fat free milk in my iced coffee and they were like "NO!".

What's the big deal?

They're supposed to be all health concious now because the actually offer a salad.

Iced Coffees are coffee, cream, and flavorings. Iced lattes are expresso, milk, and flavoring - and do have a nonfat milk option. So they probably turned you down because milk isn't in their recipe, and they get all confused over such things =) Both of them taste rather similar, though I prefer the iced coffees.

Also, a large sugar free vanilla iced coffee only has 120 calories, medium 90 - compared to 100 more calories for the non sugar free version - and it tastes pretty much exactly the same. Sugar free vanilla iced lattes w/ nonfat milk have 50 calories for a medium (only size listed at my Mcdonalds), but I think latte mediums are smaller than iced coffee mediums.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    idk why, but McDonald's iced coffees, latte's, whatever taste horrible to me. Every time I order from there I regret it, the coffee looks good but then its god awful. I don't know how they can screw it up so bad but I can make instant coffee that tastes better than that stuff. Has anyone else had that same reaction? I mean I love coffee in general, just about anything starbucks puts out and even the regular stuff you get dunkin donuts, but I don't know what McDonald's does to their coffee that makes it taste so bad.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I stopped eating at fast foods about 8 years ago, huge amount of calories in each bite and it just isn't worth it.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Stuff like that here, has kilojoule counts on them, on the box or wrapper, and ALSO a % of RDI, so you can see that your, for example, fries are x kj, and also x% of your intake for the day. That really puts it in perspective. it's not on the menu, but the pamphlets are at the counters, and its on all the wrappers/boxes/cups.

Sadly, it also won't help people who are stuck in the "future"
    "oh, these calories don't matter because I'll go for a walk later" (but they don't)
    "oh, that doesn't matter because I'm gonna start watching what I eat tomorrow"
    Which I know I've been guilty of, many times.

My kids don't care about the happy meal toys! Often I don't even get them a happy meal! they get a medium adult's meal and split it between them!
    We only get it once a month or so - at close to $40 for the 4 of us, it's just too expensive! And its a 20 minute return trip to go get it and come home again - I can make a stir fry in about 5 minutes - SO not fast!!!

This discussion has been closed.