Fish oil?

Options
I have read a lot about the benefits of taking fish oil but the thought of "fish oil" kind of turns me of to it. Does anyone have any experience taking it? benefits? If so what brand do you use? dosage? I am worried about a fishy taste or burping fishy...gross. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I hate fish, but it is recommended that you get the fatty acids for brain and heart health. I take fish oil supplements. they're soft but big. I don't get any aftertaste with them or notice any smell. if you still don't want that, try flax seed oil
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    There is some brand that doesn't give u the fishy burpy taste but I haven't tried it. The kind I use is from wal-mart - Spring Valley and what I do to avoid the fishy taste is to take it right before bedtime and it doesn't bother me. My internist recommended I start taking this 4 years ago. Its good for your heart, etc.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Took it years ago to improve my good cholesterol; started at 1 mg per day and progressed to 4 mg per day and it didn't help. The gel cpas (various brands) didn't have any taste but my burps did!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to experiment with the different brands to find the one that doesn't give you a fishy burp. Everyone is different. Taking it with a meal helps me a lot.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the recommended dosage, as far as burping up fish taste, most are burp free.( don't ask me how they do it )
  • jmariscal3
    jmariscal3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been taking them for a month now. A few things:

1) Eat with food or you will get "fishy" burps LOL
    2) They keep you regular (sorry if t.m.i.)
    3) They aid in weight loss
    4) I use Nature Made ones, one pill a day
    5) You really don't get any oily type feeling with them.
    6) I pair it with multi-vitamins as per the trainer for my weight lifting program and I feel amazing every day.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    Been taking krill oil pills for about 2 years now (Schiff Mega Red or CVS brand - whichever is on sale).
    Pros: No fishy aftertaste, small pill, breaks down to more usable compounds faster.
    Cons: More expensive than regular fish oil.

Benefits? Well, I've had consistently good blood work (reduced cholesterol). Others? I dunno...
  • JenS2586
    Options
    Best to take it at nightime before bed, that way you don't have fishy breath if you burp during the day.
    I don't always remember to take mine, now I'm preggo I take a prenatal with fish oil in it. The dosages are on the labels. I recently got my bf to start taking them and he's noticed his hair is softer and shinier and he's been less moody haha.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i take fish oil and have had no issues with the burpy problem. ive used a few different brands, sams club brand (members mark, i believe) and nature made. i take 1000-2000mg/day and ive found it really helps keep my skin clear. i also have problems with eczema that it helps with.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced the fishy burp thing. They are quite large and swallowing them is the only thing that bothers me. I tend to buy whatever is on sale at the time I need them.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    There are odorless, non-burp versions of it, but two things I've found that work pretty good with the non-odorless versions is taking them with a meal and storing them in the fridge. It's a good idea to store them in the fridge anyway as they will keep longer than being out in your medicine cabinet or kitchen pantry.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I take 3 gel caps of 1g fish oil caps a day. I use Natrol brand because they're cheaper. They're supposedly lemon flavor. I've never had fish burps.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take it with a decent meal and you shouldn't get the fish burps. I use: Omega-3 Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil 1000mg. (Mercury Free) I take one-two sofgels a day.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Took it years ago to improve my good cholesterol; started at 1 mg per day and progressed to 4 mg per day and it didn't help. The gel cpas (various brands) didn't have any taste but my burps did!

Do you mean "1000" mg? I take one 1200 mg Naturemade gelcap daily. Have been taking them for 5 months and in that time I think I tasted the aftertaste twice. Don't know why but I hope it doesn't happen ever again!
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    I never did find a high quality fish oil that didn't give me the fish burps. Make sure they are high quality so there is little mercury contamination. Even the strawberry ones gave me the fish burps, except they were strawberry flavored fish burps.

I solved the problem and switched to krill oil. I also use the Schiff's Mega red. No more fishy burps and you get the same great health benefits!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    After some experimentation, both my husband and I take Nature's Bounty brand, and we take them at night before bed to avoid fish burps.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I vote "take"
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I take Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega Fish Oil and it has a lemon flavor added (it's in those gel pill type). I never have any issue with any taste or after taste. I take Nordic Naturals because it is a very high quality and everything is done right. I used to try and eat fish, but really I despise the taste. Fish oil is one of those few supplements that is recommended and fish oil is where vitamin D3 comes from. Although, it is not essential to take it.