Shin Splint Suggestions?

Options
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any idea how to get rid of persistent shin splints? I am out of options. I am a physical therapist assistant, and have tried may options at work... I tried stretches, but I am definitely not limited by lack of flexibility. I tried using Kinesio-tape over the painful area. Tried using "Graston" (a from of deep tissue massage to break up scar tissue). I was fitted for and purchased new sneakers. I've tried resting for a few weeks. I've tried gradually increasing distance. Not one thing has worked to eliminate shin splints! I Want to run in a Tough Mudder in June, but if I can't train with running I dont see it as a feasible goal :(. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel for you! I had shin splints every year for 6 years in a row back when I was a hurdler in track. My only recommendations beyond yours are ice, heat, and ibuprofen for the pain. For the heat, you can take a tube sock and fill it with rice and microwave it then lay it over your shins for a while.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that you know all the exercises I would suggest, but has it been determined that it is in fact shin splints? Did you have a bone scan to rule out stress fracture??
  • BeachPirate371
    BeachPirate371 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No I have not seen a doctor at all. I just started trying to train for running in November. I just assumed it's shin splints because its straight down the front of my shin over the tibia. I was trying to avoid going to a doc... but I am beginning to think that is my only option left.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yeah. If you are using all the modalities available to you and doing what you would do with your patients and they are still hurting I would just to be on the safe side. I am assuming you have rested, gotten good shoes for YOUR feet, dealt with any arch issues of course
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with Valerie. It sounds like you've already tried all the right stuff, they should have gone away. Get thee to a doctor.

And make sure you're getting enough magnesium in your diet.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The only other thing that may be an issue is your gait while running. Try shortening your stride and making sure that you land midfoot and not pounding down on your heels. Google Chi running and work on that stance. It was what helped me in the beginning.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Shin splint are the worst! I've been there. But in all honesty, the only thing that finally got rid of them (for me) was no running (and I mean NO running whatsoever) for almost 8 weeks. It must've given them proper time to heal. And then when I started back, I started slowly.