160 Uses for coconut oil

Options
So I've been reading up on here and elsewhere about coconut oil and I came across this list.

Any success stories or myth debunking to be had?

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/02/160-uses-for-coconut-oil/

My mom makes homemade soap with it and I've been using it for about a week as a moisturizer. It smells great and feels nice, but are there really health benefits?

Replies

• fit4life1985
    fit4life1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Organic Virgin Coconut Oil as a substitute for butter sometimes. It contains MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides), which are used for energy by the body. I highly recommend it.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    great list!
  • gsmith3286
    Options
    There’s a newly released e-book on amazon.com I've read called, “The Coconut Oil Health & Beauty Book” by M.D. Fry, PhD. This book is particularly simple, practical and pretty complete. Also it was ranked the #1 book on Amazon for coconut oil
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Cool. So they've cured AIDS with coconut oil!
    And, no worries about giardia either. Just carry some coconut oil in the backpack when camping. Who knew.
    kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS
    Those are some wild claims.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    And, no worries about giardia either. Just carry some coconut oil in the backpack when camping. Who knew.

It doesn't say "cures". It says the same thing that hand sanitizer says. I'm no saying its as good as hand sanitizer, just saying you are changing the words.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I used it on our children's chicken pox and it was amazing. took the itch away and they healed much quicker.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

It doesn't say "cures". It says the same thing that hand sanitizer says. I'm no saying its as good as hand sanitizer, just saying you are changing the words.
    So it's a misleading claim because lots of things will kill viruses EXTERNALLY. To make the claim seem like eating it does is dishonest and I'd probably disregard anything that author has to say.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Now
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    We had almost exactly this thread several weeks ago. And I will say the same thing here - almost everything on the 'health problems' list is unsubstantiated, deeply irresponsible BS.

For example:

"Adrenal fatigue" not even an accepted diagnosis. And no explanation of how CO might help this.

"Alzheimer’s/Dementia" Ok, so how exactly might they have tested this?

"Cancer (has been shown to prevent colon and breast cancer in laboratory tests)" I would guess these 'laboratory tests' are on dissociated cell lines (not animals and certainly not humans). Guess what else kills cells in culture - air. water. bleach. potato. golf clubs. dropping the vial on the floor. vibration., etc. Cell line studies are extremely useful for understanding cellular processes, but no self-respecting researcher tosses stuff on their cells and claims it's anti-cancer.

"HIV" SERIOUSLY?? This is incredibly irresponsible. A viral infection that is only controlled by targeted anti-viral drugs, and is one of the most devastating diseases of humans on the planet... can be treated or cured by coconut oil??

I'm stopping at 'H' because the whole page is infuriating.

Coconut oil is tasty in baked goods. But this website is beyond disgraceful, and frankly I wouldn't trust a single thing written on that page.
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    Don't know if this is on the list, I 'll read it later ~ When I have a cold sore I take an L-Lysine tablet and crush it and mix it with coconut oil and apply it to the cold sore before bed, it seems to heal a lot faster. I also use it as a moisturizer. One of my favorite treats is to take a tsp. of organic coconut oil, half a tsp of cocoa powder, a dropper full of liquid stevia and 3 chopped natural almonds. I mix everything except the almonds together and put it in a small glass bowl then I add the almonds. I put it in the fridge until the coconut oil hardens. I eat it like a chocolate patty treat, It has healthy fats and it helps keep my sweet tooth in happy.

One of my friends shared this info with me so I can't take credit for coming up with these ideas, but they are some of my favorites now too.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bumping for that recipe !