Looking for healthy substitues for these foods

Options
Looking for a healthy, low calorie mac -n- cheese recipe, healthy breads (not like sliced bread), ways to cook potatoes. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
Michelle

Replies

• cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    On potatoes baked or boiled, use sweet potatoes if you like them, red skins if you want the real thing. I avoid bread so no help there, on Mac and cheese I'd stick with your favorite recipe and use portion control.
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For bread, try the Ezekiel 4:9 by Food for Life. This is probably the healthiest bread you can buy and it's frozen so it keeps well. Just take out a few slices at a time and put them in the fridge beforehand and you're good to go.
  • rana_bear
    Options
    how about spaghetti squash with a cheese sauce (can make with skim milk, flour and cheese) or even just steamed mixed veggies with a cheese sauce, instead of mac and cheese. Wholemeal pita bread or a thin wrap instead of sliced bread.

Baked potatoes: just cover whole potato in foil, put in oven to bake until soft, when cooked, remove the foil, quarter the potato and top with your choice of salads (limit the dressings for less calories), meat or bolognese, maybe beans, and cheese/ricotta.

I make a gluten free dairy free potato bake that i love. Instead of the high cal cheesy/creamy bacon potato bake, I simply layer sliced potatoes in a ramekin/mini casserole dish, with a sprinkle of cooked onion, garlic and a little bacon between the layers, then pour in a bit of chicken stock (maybe half a cup of stock for each cup of raw potato) for a rich flavour.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I agree eat Ezekiel bread!! Maybe for the mac n cheese, substitute the pasta with quinoa.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    substitute pasta in mac n cheese with shiratake noodles. 90% less calories and 2 carbs.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live: I like Wheat Montana bread. The flax and fiber kind has seeds and such and a lot of protein for bread. It's only available in WY and MT as far as I know, but you mightbe able to order it online from their website.

Potatoes-I cut into chunks, spray with PAM, then put them in a bag with some fat free italian dressing and roast 'em til they're soft. You could also use salad dressing mixes, taco seasoning mix, etc. That doesn't add too many calories but lots of flavor. If I make a baked potato, which isn't too often, I use butter buds and instead of sour cream, I use my version of greek yogurt, which is just plain fat free yogurt that I've let the fluid drip out of. Put it in a coffee filter in a strained over a bowl for a few hours and it gets really thick. Lots less calories than sour cream. We use it on Mexican food too.

Instead of mashed potatoes, I chunk cauliflower, boil til soft then mash it in the food processor or with an immersion blender. Use just a little butter for flavor, salt, pepper and buttermilk. I hate cauliflower, but I LOVE it mashed like this-prefer it now over potatoes.

Mac and cheese-ugh-that's a toughie! No clue.
  • Chiefsfan86
    Options
    for potatoes add boiled cauliflower or mashed up turnips into your mashed potatoes, otherwise switch to sweet potatoes.

On the bread i try to stay away from, but if i get a craving i eat whole grain tortillas. Also look into Udi brand breads

Pasta- try portions, just enough to get a taste, but not indulging yourself. Otherwise try eating spaghetti squash and lowfat skim milk cheese or goat cheese.

Just don't give up.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you mean by "healthy" bread. I didn't know normal bread wasn't healthy?

Re potatoes
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-potatoes
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Mac-n-cheese

Use quiona noodles (more protien) but use laughing cow light cheese.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! For mac and cheese and also can be a hashbrown replacement. It is sooooo low calorie!!!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    On mac-n-cheese there are now several brands of whole wheat, whole grain, high fiber and similar pastas and also quinoa [KEEN-wah] "pasta" which is like a pasta but technically isn't a grain but is high in protein and fiber. Be careful with Quinoa as it must not be overcooked or it turns into a goopy sticky mess, but cooked right is very good.

Potatoes: try substituting turnips or sweet potatoes.

Breads look for whole grain or multigrain breads. Rye bread is usually whole grain and depending on how made is usually healthy than whole wheat. Ezekial brand bread mentioned by someone else is a great choice.

The tastes of the above take a little, but not much, getting used to.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese: http://frshforce.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/healthier-mac-and-cheese-with-leeks-and-artichokes/

Sounds creepy, but is good, and makes a nice base to add crab or tuna to add some protein and make for more like a casserole. I`ve been adding crab lately - like 16oz lump or backfin or a combo. With tuna will add 2 drained cans water packed albacore, shiitake mushrooms, and celery.
  • rvfamily4
    Options
    For mac and cheese- add cauliflower. Here is a recipe. http://www.yumsugar.com/Michelle-Obama-Cauliflower-Mac-Cheese-Recipe-23243043

For potatoes I like to wedge potatoes and put them in a ziplock and pour in Low Cal Italian Dressing and pour onto a baking sheet. My kids love them this way.

For bread I like Organic Sprouted Bread. Ezekiel is very similar.

Hope that helps.
    Lisa
  • rvfamily4
    Options
    For mac and cheese- add cauliflower. Here is a recipe. http://www.yumsugar.com/Michelle-Obama-Cauliflower-Mac-Cheese-Recipe-23243043

For potatoes I like to wedge potatoes and put them in a ziplock and pour in Low Cal Italian Dressing and pour onto a baking sheet. My kids love them this way.

For bread I like Organic Sprouted Bread. Ezekiel is very similar.

Hope that helps.
    Lisa
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you mean by "healthy" bread. I didn't know normal bread wasn't healthy?

Re potatoes
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-potatoes

Oh now wasn't that potato information fun? Love it! OP, do you mean something more specific about the potato? You can have a baked potato, lite sour cream and half a TB of butter for under 300 calories. Carbs are up there, but they are very satiating carbs and just tasty! Othewise, i cut up a potato, toss it in olive oil and sprinkle with onion powder and garlic powder and bake in the oven. Don't deny yourself the delicious potato!
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    substitute pasta in mac n cheese with shiratake noodles. 90% less calories and 2 carbs.

I think you just changed my life. I had never considered shiratake. I have seen them in the store, but never took a second glance at them. Oh man, I know what I am doing this weekend!
  • futrformrfatty
    futrformrfatty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i HIGHLY recommend www.skinnytaste.com, it is amazing! She takes everyone's favorites and turns them into a healthier version. I have made many things from her website and I tell everyone about it.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    HMMM - may have to look into Shiratake noodles. Meybe even check out spagetti squash. How do I cook the squash???
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Mac and cheese: I make this regular, but I've been known to "hide" vegetables in it. Butternut squash and carrots are both good if you want to keep the integrity of the color. Cook them, mash or puree them, and mix it in with the sauce. I'm also a fan of broccoli mixed in with it. Mixed vegetables and canned chicken mixed in make a complete meal, which isn't too bad on taste.

Potatoes: I roast mine with a little bit of oil and an herb blend. I don't salt them, because I don't add extra salt to much that I cook. The herb blend I've been using recently is Weber's Roasted Garlic and Herb. Everyone in the family seemed to enjoy it. I so my sweet potatoes the same way. I can't stand making them more sugary, so I add garlic and herbs to make it more savory and eat them.

Bread: Can't help you much there. I just eat the store bought stuff most of the time. I want to try a couple of recipes, but I don't bake often.