New home and new weather, advice on how to stay on track

Options
Hi guys, been an MFP fan for a while. I've gained weight in the last few months prior to my move, and I've noticed my motivation has gone down. I just moved from Guam to Seattle, and I'm worried that the weather change will further push me back. Any advice on how to deal with the sudden weather change? I went from an island with tropical weather all year round, to Seattle and while I expected the weather, being here just makes it harder. I don't want to give up, but I have no idea how to workout in colder weather? I'm, planning to join a gym once I'm settled, but I definitely need to start running again and doing my own workouts until I can.

Any advice on how to gear up? I know your temp goes up anyway when you run, but I'm not sure if my usual crops will work for this weather. Also, how much should I bundle?

Any advice on how you guys keep your motivation up despite the cold?

Also, anybody know of any good gyms in the Seattle area? I know there's a 24 hr fitness and stuff, but I'm looking for a place with a potential personal trainer and good classes.

Thanks again!

Replies

• CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I live in Vancouver (same climate as Seattle) and I run outside all year. When you compare it to other parts of Canada... lol not even close.

Actually Vancouver is known as the healthiest city in Canada, because we CAN exercise outside all year. You just need to get some appropriate clothing, long running pants, long sleeve running tops, and sometimes when it's really cold I wear a neck warmer as well. But really, once you start running you warm up. I would much rather run in the cold than the heat!

It might be harder to motivate yourself to do it, but you just have to do it! No excuses!

Edit: I should have mentioned, I lived in Australia for 4 years, and I almost never ran. It was TOO hot! Just go out and start running in the cold, you'll learn to love it!
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    I committed myself to do a walk (at minimum) every single day!
    When the weather is bad, I think well, I HAVE to go on my walk, and once I'm outside it's a lot easier for me to realize the weather isn't so bad and my health is more important.

I think it's the same as motivation... you need to find what motivates you and commit!! Rain, shine, or slush and snow!
  • ValgA
    ValgA Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! I did manage to run outside, and while it was tough, my legs definitely warmed up. I've had some problems with my fingers freezing up, so I'm investing in some running gloves as well. I also bought some long running leggings as well, though my crops seem to do the job once I start. I've also sucked up the drop in fee for one of the smaller gyms near my friends house. I'll invest in one full time once I'm settled into my apartments.

Thanks for the motivation guys. Just have to keep pushing myself!