I did something bad... :(

Options
I had too many chocolates and went way over my calories. I am just really frustrated tonight at other things and I'm trying to stop stress eating, but it's difficult.

How have y'all tackled stress eating?

Replies

• NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I haven't tackled it :(

Its still a big struggle for me, but I keep healthier snacks around which I think has helped.
  • essaryswife73
    essaryswife73 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I literally have to do some sort of physical activity..not exercise specifically, but get up and move to distract myself.Sometimes, I'll get a bottle of water and get on here and browse the message boards until the bottle is gone. If it's during the day, then I will go walk around the block or something like that. This has helped me tremendously.
  • Star_Basil
    Options
    I portion out what I'm "allowed" of the bad stuff (chocolate etc) and then put the rest away in a hard place to get to. Then bring the portioned out amount to where ever I am eating (livingroom, basement etc).

This way I make it a pain to even consider getting more. Doesn't always work but it makes you think about it.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually try to do something with my hands, or drink something, I make myself wait at least 30 mins if I get a craving, and usally it will go away. If I am still feeling it, then I indulge but try to limit it. Journaling about whatever is bothering me helps as well. And I always put it in my food journal, even if I go over or binge. It helps me stay accountable. What I don't do is stress over it,. I accept it for what it is and move on. Tomorrow is another day and I will try to do better. Hope that helps
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I accept that sometimes I can talk myself out of it and sometimes I can't. But when I do it, I knowingly do it. I know the damage I'm causing to my weight loss. I also accept that I can't change the past and I have to back on board asap or it'll lead to days of unhealthy eating.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Stress eating is like one of my enemies. I have to deal with the binging onslaught almost everyday. If you ever feel like you're about to binge, just drink a crazy amount of water and that should curb your appetite.

Buy healthy snacks and chew on celery/apples to really get yourself some sugary foods in your body, if that's what you need.
  • Bsaintelus
    Bsaintelus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress it too much. I went over today for the first time in about a month and it was like 1100 calories. Tomorrow is another day. You'll get that beach body!
  • amyrosehannon
    Options
    Honestly, don't beat yourself up about it. In the grand scheme of everything, it's really no big deal. Sometimes when you need to stress eat you just gotta do it! Don't make yourself feel bad about it, but just try to avoid it next time.

Sometimes if I'm craving chocolate and I don't eat chocolate...I'll eat a bunch of other things instead. Which is worse than just having the chocolate to begin with lol

I started to become more aware of when I felt I "needed" to stress eat (like during midterms or fighting with my boyfriend) and being AWARE of when you need to stress eat is really helpful. When you know your chocolate cravings are coming you can just drink a lot of water, or eat a nice big bowl of salad. Then, you're full on something healthy and you find you won't need your chocolate :)
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I get up and move. I do squats, jumping jacks, lunges anything to move.

I chug some water. LOTS of water.

I write. I'm a writer so that's just nature.

I play guitar.

I ride my motorcycle (in the summer, of course.)
  • ibshell
    ibshell Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My weakness is eating when I'm tired. I have learned to allow myself ONE of my favorite chocolates a day. Dove is my favorite and I savor it. Completely. The other snack I keep on hand is popcorn. I can eat all I want (home popped, not movie theater butter) when I have the munchies. No limit. I've never gone over on calories when I've turned to this. Another is sunflower seeds or nuts, dried fruit, etc. Focusing on the right amount of water intake is also helpful to me. And I agree, keeping the stuff in the house is too tempting when you feel weak. Once in awhile, not such a bad thing to splurge. When it's regular, well, trying to replace those things is a better idea. Good luck! You can do it!! ;)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Tackled it? I haven't. It still happens to me sometimes, but I try to make it less and less frequent. And if it does happen, I try to get right back on the wagon the next day and make that day a really good one, both w eating and with working out.

Good luck! It's a struggle!
  • joneslnb
    joneslnb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stress eating, depressed eating, boredom eating, been there done that struggle all the time. I really have to be careful about eating anything off plan because I don't want the flood gates to open. I have to get over it and start a new day tomorrow because the only thing worse is continuing the stress eating. I make a goal of 6 days of perfection on my plan and on day 7 I have a 'planned cheat'. Then there is no guilt.
  • edenburnin
    edenburnin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One trick is I brush my teeth. Usually, who wants to eat right after they brush their teeth. If that doesn't work, chew some gum. Drink some water. Write it down in the diary before you want to do it. It helps to see it in black and white how many calories you plan to put in your body. (Set yourself aside a treat now and again so there's no guilt). Ask yourself is it worth it, am I going to feel guilty after. Then if all that doesn't work. After a moderate amount of scolding yourself, forgive and move on. As so many people say, it's a journey, a lifestyle etc etc. You've got the rest of your life to be perfect ;)
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I ate so much cookies today, you're not the only one haha
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work, it's easy. I pack so much food and when it's gone, that's it. So if I do stress eat, I have nothing to eat later in the night. Knowing that curbs those urges fairly quickly. I'd rather space everything out.

At home....I'm still working on it. I'm trying to always have fresh fruits to snack on, as well as just generally better for me foods. I don't keep chips in the house, or most junk foods. But I do eat way more cereal than I should. And it's the sugary kind. I'll be doing some Spring Cleaning in a couple of weeks. Part of that will be to clean out my refrigerator and cupboards.
  • Biitchstix
    Options
    I'm the complete opposite, whenever I get stressed out I'll go a whole day (maybe more depending on what exactly it is causing the stress) without eating because I just end up feeling nauseous. I know the feeling though, my habit is smoking when I'm stressed, which doesn't exactly effect my weight but it sure as hell isn't good for me :frown:

Personally the only thing that works is to get away from your 'vice of choice' and try and stay busy with a hobby/walk etc, you could also try snacking on something like popcorn which can help with the urge to munch while still being pretty healthy. Either way don't feel too guilty, we all have our slip-ups once in a while :smile:
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    THESE ARE ALL REALLY GREAT IDEAS!!!! :smile:

hey, don't kill yourself over it!
    we all make bad choices sometimes... this is a learning process! We cant change over night, and we wont learn EVERY DIET PLAN in a week.
    Habits are formed over TIME... good ones and (bad) not so good ones.
    Give yourself some TIME to learn a better habit :flowerforyou:

Probably the best ones " I " believe in,
    #1. Dont deprive yourself of everything ! (its a set up)
    #2. WATER, WATER, WATER!!
    #3. If you do (cheat) go over your daily food allowance REMEMBER TO WORK IT OFF IN THE GYM ASAP!!!!!!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Eh its fine. At least you admitted that you over did it and you know why. Due to stress eating (or that time o' the month) I cant keep any treats in the house lol, and so if I REALLY want it I have to go our of the way to get it. Sometimes this strategy works and sometimes it doesnt; i.e. I stop and get a treat on my way home. When I do buy something I know I can indulge or over eat on then I individual/ single portioned packages than the large bulk packages it costs more money but at least I know there is a smaller amount of this food in the house.

Take a deep breath and remember tomorrow is another day. :bigsmile:
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I track what I eat, and if I'm stress eating (depression, etc.) I just dive into it. Tomorrow's another day, but I figure there are worse ways I could deal with stress than a little chocolate, ice cream, or Zaya.

I can always exercise those calories away; other things aren't erased so easily, kwim?
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I had too many chocolates and went way over my calories. I am just really frustrated tonight at other things and I'm trying to stop stress eating, but it's difficult.

How have y'all tackled stress eating?

It takes time. Because you know that you are a stress eater, try to 1 ration out chocolates, 2 can you go for a walk or do a 10 minute work out. 3 call someone to talk to them, 4 dont keep those go to stress foods in the house,5 if you eat them just move on and try again.