Runner's death linked to Jack3d

Options
Just an FYI ...
I saw someone posting about Jack3d or Jacked3d and, curious, I did a search and found this recent article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/london-marathon/9838168/Claire-Squires-never-stood-a-chance-after-taking-amphetamine-in-London-Marathon.html

Replies

• darleyschroeder
    Options
    I don't know much about it, but I do know that when my brother was in marine boot it was taken away from the guys. Apparently it was being misused or something and some kid got sick. I don't know the details, but I do know that its probly not good to take.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it, but I do know that when my brother was in marine boot it was taken away from the guys. Apparently it was being misused or something and some kid got sick. I don't know the details, but I do know that its probly not good to take.

The intentional misuse of a substance causing health problems? Say it ain't so. Holy hell...all of the warning labels in the world can't save people from themselves.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    To be fair to the girl in question, this stuff was legal in the UK last April when she took it, so not exactly 'misuse' so much as perhaps 'misguided'. It was made illegal in August, four months after she died. Dreadful though, she was perfectly fit and healthy.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    The BBC article said it had been banned in the US first after soldiers died having used it. It seems that when combined with extreme strenuous exercise the heart just couldn't cope.

The poor girl who died didn't like the taste of it but put 1 scoop in her water bottle to help her if she 'hit the wall' in the marathon...
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Isn't new. ECA stack has been killing people for years. Any hardcore stimulant should be avoided.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Misuse of products is usually the culprit rather than the product itself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Jack3d is a pre-workout. It was removed and considered dangerous by the FDA because some idiot kid O.D'd on it from taking more than one scoop, which the labeling on the back clearly states 'don't take more than 1 scoop'. Personally I like the product but it's banned from store shelves, and I can't use it because of 1,3 Dimethylamylamine which is prohibited from most natural bodybuilding shows.
  • XDiet_SlayerX
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff. Plus she shouldn't have taken this supplement before a marathon in the first place when she never had it before especially that much. This is not news against any supplement company just utter ignorance.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Claire Squires did not "misuse" anything. She was totally misled by the product which contained a amphetamine which has various product names DMAA and also known as dimethylamylamine. Also known as a geranium extract.

The labelling was misleading to deceptively hide the ingredient and Claire Squires was totally innocent regarding taking this.

She was neither niave or misusing, she was misled.

The labelling and product has now been amended to remove the ingredient as it is now banned.

She was also therefore incredibly unlucky and an unfortunate victim of poorly regulated UK supplement and nutrition law.

Please lets not have a debate about whether this poor girl knew about it, was misusing or anything else.

You don't know the facts.

Lets focus on the positive, her life and unfortunate death raised £1 million for great causes.
    End of

Weathers
  • Lauren210585
    Options
    Claire Squires did not "misuse" anything. She was totally misled by the product which contained a amphetamine which has various product names DMAA and also known as dimethylamylamine. Also known as a geranium extract.

The labelling was misleading to deceptively hide the ingredient and Claire Squires was totally innocent regarding taking this.

The labelling and product has now been amended to remove the ingredient as it is now banned.

She was also therefore incredibly unlucky and an unfortunate victim of poorly regulated UK supplement and nutrition law.

Please lets not have a debate about whether this poor girl knew about it, was misusing or anything else.

Lets focus on the positive, her life and unfortunate death raised £1 million for great causes.
    End of

Weathers
  • Lauren210585
    Options
    couldnt of said it better myself
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

End of

Weathers

Well Said!
  • Westy5866
    Options
    Agree, well said!
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

End of

Weathers

^^^ Totally totally agree with this!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

End of

Weathers

A woman who used a strong stimulant with a known heart issue (irregular heart beat) and running a long distance (25 miles, known not to be safe and advised not to be done with heart issues) and ignored the warning on the tub that says

"The Jack3d BLACK BOX WARNING reads: "This product produces an intense sensation of drive, focus, energy,motivation & awareness. In addition, it allows for rapid increases instrength, speed, power & endurance. Therefore, extreme caution must be exercised & should not be used by novice athletes.Use with caution under strict dosing protocols."

Further more the pathologist said MAY have contributed to her death. Not DID. Lets get the facts straight.
  • smiffy645
    Options
    On Wednesday a coroner ruled that the most likely cause off her death was a single dose of Jack3d, a performance-enhancing supplement that at the time was legal to buy, possess and use.

"Most likely" is somewhat more conclusive than "may"
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

End of

Weathers

A woman who used a strong stimulant with a known heart issue (irregular heart beat) and running a long distance (25 miles, known not to be safe and advised not to be done with heart issues) and ignored the warning on the tub that says

"The Jack3d BLACK BOX WARNING reads: "This product produces an intense sensation of drive, focus, energy,motivation & awareness. In addition, it allows for rapid increases instrength, speed, power & endurance. Therefore, extreme caution must be exercised & should not be used by novice athletes.Use with caution under strict dosing protocols."

Further more the pathologist said MAY have contributed to her death. Not DID. Lets get the facts straight.

The UK doesn't have black box warnings.... the coroner said she was misled. Misled, because there was no indication on the product that she was buying of the fact it contained amphetamine or the potential dangers from it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

End of

Weathers

The UK doesn't have black box warnings.... the coroner said she was misled. Misled, because there was no indication on the product that she was buying of the fact it contained amphetamine or the potential dangers from it.

DMAA is not amphetamine, nor is it in the same family.

I am from the UK, and it does have the black box warnings.

Some people here clearly don't understand DMAA and what it does and how it works, aside from what they have heard in the press.

I don't use, nor ever have, used DMAA based products, I don't like stims myself but there reporting in the media and the hysteria here shows a complete misunderstanding.

Not surprising as it is to do with bodybuilding.

EDIT

I feel I should say the following:

If we forget DMAA as a potential poison. Everyone seems to agree it's a stimulant?

So the bare bones are, if you give someone who's heart is really "on the edge" a stimulant, you're not normally going to get a happy result.

Simple fact is she pushed her body too hard when it was already on the edge.
  • smiffy645
    Options
    I think the fact that DMAA has been made illegal says everything that needs to be said. She didn't deserve to die and given the ambiguity on the warning on the product I find it hard to comprehend how it can be suggested that she was at fault in some way.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I think the fact that DMAA has been made illegal says everything that needs to be said. She didn't deserve to die and given the ambiguity on the warning on the product I find it hard to comprehend how it can be suggested that she was at fault in some way.

Legality means nothing. And it is not illegal. It is about money in the most part.

The MHRA now classify it as a drug, and that it has to be given a classification and licensed to be sold as one, not a dietary aid. In the same way that the MHRA said that milk thistle, Horny Goat Weed and terrestris tribulus are considered medicinal now and need licencing despite being sold for as long as I can remember... and this licence costs literally thousands to purchase which for most companies make it impossible for them to afford.

Are you really that led to believe legality has anything to do with safety?
This discussion has been closed.