low calorie yet filling foods????? any suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Chicken with Peppers and Onions
    Chicken with hummus
    Chicken with peach mango salsa
    Tuna with Fat Free Mayo
    Tuna with Fat Free Ranch

Slap any one on the above combo's between 2 pieces of Pepperidge Farm Very Thin Whole Wheat bread and you have a very filling sandwich under 250 calories. Serve it with a LARGE plate of steamed veggies sprayed with butter (no calories) and sprinkle salt on them. YUM!

Tip: Dice up your chicken very small and mix it with your choice. It fits on the bread easier, almost like a spread!
  • Caseylowe2
    Caseylowe2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Pinto beans (1/2 cup), low fat cheese (1/2 oz), salsa (2 tbs), just nuke them together, so good and filling and only 160 calories:bigsmile:

you can also add in 4 oz of cooked lean beef, chicken or turkey (160 calories also) and have a great filling meal :flowerforyou:

I find that just veggies as a snack make me hungrier:smile:
    Ooh. I love pinto beans so I gonna try this! Black beans too!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    have you eliminated all of the "empty calorie" foods (sauces, gravy, dressings, sugary desserts) so you can fill yourself with only food that will nourish your body? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • xxxhay45hayxxx
    Options
    Protein always fills me up & I use whey protein after workouts to avoid being sore. Nonfat vanilla yogurt is around 190 calories/cup & then vanilla bean whey protein is only 50 calories per scoop (I use the Biggest Loser Designer Whey protein.) I throw in two strawberries (2 calories each.) While it may not be THAT low in calories, it truly does fill me, its yummy, & it allows me to work out a little harder because it helps with soreness post workout.

Also, 6 triscuits are only120 calories and they are thicker than chips or regular crackers, so they keep me fuller longer too (and make a tasty snack).
  • banana407
    banana407 Posts: 2
    Options
    I like popcorn, veggies, and cheese sticks. :) they're low cal and each are super yummy.
  • Fidelly
    Fidelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was so surprised at how filling cheese sticks were. I was never a fan of cheese but I've been working on it for the past 2 years (I'm still wondering if that's good or bad, LOL). They do double for me, a great filling snack and a boost on my dairy intake, because I'm ALWAYS lacking in my dairy. Sargento's are really good.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Not sure what calorie range you are looking for, but some of my favorites are:

Greek Yogurt
    Broccoli
    Apples
    Granola Bars
    Almonds
    Rice Cakes
    Special K Protein Bars
    Luna Bars
    Cauliflower
    Brussel Sprouts
    Strawberries
    Peanut Butter
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Also Milk is a great filler!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    veggies, chicken , and egg whites are a must!!!!! all are very low cal, yet you can basically make a whole meal out of them.

-fresh veggies and hummus

-a salad topped with chicken breast

-a 'breakfast burrito' made with egg whites

-laughing cow cheese wedge with veggies or crackers

- rice cakes topped with cheese and fruit
  • Fidelly
    Fidelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    veggies, chicken , and egg whites are a must!!!!! all are very low cal, yet you can basically make a whole meal out of them.

-fresh veggies and hummus

-a salad topped with chicken breast

-a 'breakfast burrito' made with egg whites

-laughing cow cheese wedge with veggies or crackers

- rice cakes topped with cheese and fruit

Looove hummus. It's great as a sandwich spread, too.

I'dve never thought to top rice cakes with anything. EVER. I just think of them like hearty potato chips. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    For a quick low cal snack try a Jenny-o turkey dog wrapped in 100% whole wheat bread with mustard.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Lean protein (chicken, turkey, egg whites, nuts, low fat dairy, etc), high fiber foods (fruit, veggies, oats, beans)
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    I like Hebrew National 97% Fat Free hot dogs (grilled over charcoal is the best), I make myself snack bags with one serving of baby carrots and one serving of almonds (199 cal snack), On the Border black beans, as served are 130 cals per serving, I get two or three for supper, they are delicious. I don't know what your calorie alotment is, but mine is 1450. I walk at least 15 minutes which gives me 94 extra so I usually eat around 1544. I have 2 c cheerios w/ 1 c 1% milk for breakfast (300 cals) around 6:30 am, at 9:30 I eat a carrot/almond snack, or a small banana with 1 TBSP of Jiff peanut butter w/ omega-3 (both around 200 cals) for lunch I eat 300 to 400 calories in various forms, mid afternoon I grab another 200 cal snack and finish off my cals at dinner (before 7 pm). I have noticed that I rarely feel hungry; and I eat on my schedule whether I'm hungry or not.

Oscar Mayer center cut bacon is 70 calories for 3 slices; the protein and fat help the feeling of fulness also. Try an omlette with one omega-3 egg, three slices bacon and 1/3 c reduced fat cheese ( about 190 calories), also very filling. For a little variety, add some fresh baby spinach ( 3 cups has about 20 calories).

I have always been a "big eater." I had to find filling low cal foods when I started this because I knew that if I spent days feeling like I was starving, I wouldn't last long.

You can always cut calories by looking for reduced fat versions of your favorite foods; I don't do fat free because the texture usually turns me off.
  • Lparault
    Options
    AMEN!!! I love my milk!!! Have gone down to 1%..refuse to drink skim. ;)
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Veggie crumble omelet!!! YUM
  • Lparault
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite meals, this omlette is HUGE and under 400 calories. It is great for any meal of the day

Two Omega-3 three eggs (140 calories)
    3 strips Oscar Mayer center cut bacon (70 cals)
    1 c. canned mushrooms, drained (39 cals)
    3 c. fresh baby spinach ( 20 cals)
    1/3 c. reduced fat cheese (90)

Cook bacon and drain well; set aside. Sautee mushrooms in a few drops of olive oil, add spinach and cover over reduced heat until spinach wilts; set aside. Beat eggs well, salt and pepper to taste. Pour into omlette pan and let set; sprinkle w/ cheese, and add remaining ingredients. (359 calories) Made w/ one egg (289 cals), 2 eggs no cheese (269), one egg no cheese (199)

All versions still make a very large, very filling omlette.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I know it's not as healthy as raw veggies, but whatever makes you eat them right!

I make a HUGE bowl of Stir Fry veggies (No sauce or seasonings) I just pan fry them for a few minutes, the moisture from teh mushrooms alone makes it really yummy ... A huge bowl gives me 4 different 'meals' of mixxed veggies. I had two cups worth at lunch

Brocoli
    Celery
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Zuccini
    Carrots
    Cauliflower

Like I say raw is better, but I had 2 cups about 2 hours ago, still full!
  • katiebristow
    Options
    South Beach Bars (140 Calories); Hummus w/ cucumbers instead of crackers; & part skim string cheese.... those get me through my work days and I'm not starving when I get home!