Mexican Restaurant for friend's birthday - suggestions

Options
Hi all,

I'm going to a Mexican restaurant tomorrow evening for a friend's birthday. I'm not that familiar with Mexican food...any suggestions on what to have and what I should definitely avoid from a calorie point of view??

Replies

• apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do the fajitas with no tortillas or sour cream. And those goodness to awful chips...I have to move em to the other side of the table...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you have to work with?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I do the fajitas with no tortillas or sour cream. And those goodness to awful chips...I have to move em to the other side of the table...

This. The first time you dont eat chips is the hardest...after that, , it becomes the new normal.
  • easycure
    easycure Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do fajitas as well, and use lettuce instead of tortillas! <3
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Another good one is to do the taco salad sans the Taco shell and refried beans. If you do it that way with the grilled meat, then you can have the cheese and the sour cream. I do it at Rosa's Cafe with their fiesta salad and its only 460 cal for the whole salad. I don't put salad dressing on it. I put the salsa and guacamole.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My suggestion? Have fun. Enjoy yourself. It's 1 meal... not going to kill ya if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing the rest of the time.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Fajitas chicken & steak, on a salad instead of tortillas, loaded with sour cream, guac, cheese and avocado or spicy ranch if they have it.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    tortilla soup :)
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My suggestion? Have fun. Enjoy yourself. It's 1 meal... not going to kill ya if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing the rest of the time.

:)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are usually a good option - grilled chicken, steak or shrimp with peppers and onions. They are usually served with guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo, and cheese. If you eat the guac, sour cream and cheese its easy to overdo the calories. You can split the dish with someone as I do. Or, just decide in advance to take half home. They reheat very well. If I take half home I eat the guacamole with my meal and take home the sour cream with the leftovers - guacamole doesn't save very well.

You can save calories if you limit yourself to just one tortilla (small) or half a tortilla (large). Or skip the tortillas and just eat the food with a fork and a knife (especially if you ate a lot of the chips and salsa before the meal!)
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options

Get yourself a to-go box and put half in the box and save it for the next day. Love me some Mexican food and this is what I found works best for me.
  • analisareyna
    analisareyna Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I would probably do this...orrr, order chicken tacos w/o cheese and also tell them not to fry the corn tortilla but to warm the tortilla up instead. They might look at you strange at first but the places I've been to usually accomodate my request of "soft, not fried."