Too much protein...

Options
ratlover
ratlover Posts: 7 Member
Every day I go over on my protein..I was wondering if anyone knows what a good low protein lunch could be?

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    how many calories would you like to use on your lunch?
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It's generally agreed that the protein levels on MFP are very low. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're over by hundreds of grams per day or your doctor has told you to restrict your protein intake.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I agree that protein levels set by MFP are very low for most people. You can manually set your macronutrient percentages (protein, carbs, and fat) by choosing "my home" then "goals" then "custom." MFP sets you at 15% protein. I eat twice that much -- 30% because I feel like absolute poo if I don't. So, my percentages are set at 30% protein, 25% fat and 45% carbs. Many others here seem to be set at 30-30-40 and other folks at something totally different. I suggest finding the percentages that feel the best to you. I had to play around with mine for a couple months before I found a good ratio for me. MFP sets you at 15% protein, 25% fat and 60% carbs I believe.
    If you have kidney problems, your doctor may want you to restrict your protein intake so if that's the case, consult your physician first.
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Protein levels are really low here. I do a low carb, high protein diet. I keep my carbs to about 80g a day, and my protein 100-120g a day. Protein helps repair and build muscles. I wouldn't worry about it too much. My trainer had told me, I should eat about 30g less protein then I weigh in pounds.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i guess everyone is different, i am always over on my protein and don't worry about that at all. I concern myself with fat content mainly. I had 2 different Dr. tell me if you keep your fat gms below 35 a day you will lose weight, apparently they were right where i am concerned. Its working and it worked before but when i quit watching the fat gms i gained alot of weight back so here i am..... determined to stay this time. happy mothers day to all
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Protein is good.....I eat 120-150 grams of protein per day! Dont worry if u go over.
  • ratlover
    ratlover Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your help...I'm very vigalint on my fat and carbs..not to mention my calories, so to see my protein over every day was a bit disturbing.
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    I weigh about 100lbs and I am eating about 200 a day. I am trying to build muscle and gain muscle weight. Protein consumption will not make you gain weight. I eat about 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat.

Eat all the egg whites you want!! yummmmm.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Protein is good.....I eat 120-150 grams of protein per day! Dont worry if u go over.

There is an important caveat that should be included with this statement. If one's kidney function is compromised, their doctor should have counseled about how too much protein can be hard on your kidneys and lead to problems you don't want to have.

For an otherwise healthy active person, the quoted statement is probably fine, but generalizations can be dangerous if other factors are not considered.

Also, limiting fat is all well and good, but you need some fat to feel satiated. There are GOOD fats, avocado, olive oil, and others. Saturated fat is a good thing to LIMIT.
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Your might be interested in the Univ of Maryland Medical System Protein Calculator:
    http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp