Running 5K tips needed

I am going to sign up for my 1st 5K RUN. I've walked a few before but this time I want to run. It's not until May but looking for ideas on how to start "training" for it. I'm not much of a runner although would like be.
Any tips/pointers?

Replies

• letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Good for you! There is an arsenal of tips and training programs on the internet. C25k is a popular one....just google it. On race day, remember to have fun. By signing up and committing to finish makes you a winner.....and if you have to walk then you have to walk. There is no shame in having to slow down your pace, listen to your body and don't worry about what the other runners are doing.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    I agree C25K is probably the best program for you since it doesn't sound like you have run before. It's easy to follow and will definitely have you ready for May.

The first thing you need to do though is sign up for the race. That will give you the motivation you need to get started and give you something to look forward to. Your first race is all about finishing don't worry about time or if you need to walk a little.

You'll be running before you know it.

Good luck-
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    You already have more courage than me! Good Luck! C25K was already suggested to you. I am not a runner myself, and I think it is too vigourous for me, but maybe better for you. There are C25K groups on here if you are interested in support with that. My advice... get good running shoes that fit you... tight and stiffer.... to help your feet and shins, and enjoy!

A question I have for everyone else is... When I'm running, why is it after only about 40 seconds my HRM is showing me above my fat burning range and beeps to warn me to slow down... I tend to ignore it and keep going until I feel like I can't breathe anymore, but I'm concerned about it... anyone with suggestions?
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
  • C25K is definitely the way to go - if you try and just 'do your thing' chances are you'll either over-do it and injure yourself, or not push yourself enough. Any C25K programme will get you to running for 5k in 9 weeks (and it works) I can fully recommend the NHS one, there is a really good podcast, and a forum for people doing it which is great and very supportive. If you go ok then get shoes that are correct for your gait (most running shops offer gait analysis) and go from there. But do sign up, and have fun :-) You'll be amazed how fast you progress!

@treehopper198 - my HRM is nearly always above my fat burning range when I run, although as I get fitter my bpm are coming down quite a bit. I wouldn't worry too much, its all about building up cardio fitness, but what plan are you using - you shouldn't be going til you cant' breath anymore!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member

@treehopper198 - my HRM is nearly always above my fat burning range when I run, although as I get fitter my bpm are coming down quite a bit. I wouldn't worry too much, its all about building up cardio fitness, but what plan are you using - you shouldn't be going til you cant' breath anymore!

Sorry, I exaggerated on the breathing part. :blushing: However, I'm not really on a plan... I tend to just get frustrated and then swear off running when I'm on a plan... In other words, I do better just on my own and doing something similar to the C25K program... I am glad to know it is not unusual for my HR to be above my "limits" then. I will continue to run for enjoyment... hoping to eventually build the courage to do a 5K