1/2 Weight in Water???

Options
lexistepps
lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
I have read on here several times that people are attempting to drink half of their weight in water per DAY...now I dunno about you, but I weigh 140 pounds and I JUST don't see how it's going to be possible to drink 70lbs of water per day!!!

Obviously you'd have to break it down to ounces, but I worked it out that I'd have to be refilling my 16oz water bottle 17 TIMES A DAY. That's insane! I would live in the bathroom, not to mention probably die from water intoxication!!

Someone please clarify this craziness to me!

Replies

• chameleonguy
    Options
    They mean half your weight in ounces of water.

140/2 = 70
    70 ounces = 8.75 cups of water

Make more sense?
  • lexistepps
    Options
    Aaaah aha! lol I was very very confused, I'm sitting here thinking...these people are going to die! Not good!

Thanks for the clarification :)
  • lexistepps
    Options
    Wow now that I know the answer...what a stupid question. Major blonde moment here...jeez.
  • lexistepps
    Options
    So I am curious then...I am usually drinking more than this, at least 12 cups of water but usually more, is this a bad thing or a good thing? I really don't want to over water myself :)
  • Pilipo
    Pilipo Posts: 1
    Options
    Drinking 12 cups of water is not bad for you. In order to cause damage you would need to drink a LOT of water. Think multiple gallons per hour. If however you find yourself craving more water after a 12 glass binge, I would consider speaking to a Doctor. That 8 to 9 glass recommendation assumes that you are also eating food during the day, most of which will contain a surprising amount of water. I myself drink about a gallon a day which is WAY more than I need, but it is habit... I wouldn't stay awake nights worrying too much if I were you.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Drinking over 10 cups a day is GREAT, as long as they are spread out over the course of the day. The only way you can damage your organs is (like Pilipo said) by marathon drinking in the course of an hour or two.
    If your urine isn't clear, you're not drinking enough. Water helps flush out the icky things we consume.
  • lexistepps
    Options
    Well I'd say today that I've probably had about 16 cups of water, and the day is almost over. I generally drink 12, so today my body is doing that "Oh crap more water time to pee again!" thing about every 5 minutes haha. But my urine is pretty clear (sorry TMI) so I think I'm good. Thanks all :)