Gym newbies already gone at my gym ...

Options

Replies

• pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    i'm off to the gym tonight, i'm hoping the newbies are gone too :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    i'm off to the gym tonight, i'm hoping the newbies are gone too :)

See and that's what I don't get.
    Why would you hope for someone to give up on becoming healthy?
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Reminds me of that episode of Friends were Chandler is trying to cancel his gym membership...
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Oh, no! I signed up at my gym in early January and I'm not there today because it's my rest day (the only one all week). I hope nobody thinks I'm quitting.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Hilarious, people couldn't stick to their goals and are probably somewhere feeling defeated and down on themselves. Let us mock them and revel in our superiority. Suck it fatties!
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I don't know if they are gone or not. Really don't pay that much attention. I'm there to do my thing then I'm outta there. :-) I do know the regulars though and have become friends with a few over the years. I do hope however that if they are new that they stick with it because I was once a newbie and I did..
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm a repeat newbie... I stopped going for a few months. I can still barely find a parking space or open treadmill on weeknights, but the place is a ghost town on Friday & Saturday nights.
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    My gym is still going strong. As long as they all stay on the treadmills and keep off the benches.....better yet, as long as they stay out of my way, I'm fine, lol.!!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This right here is why I don't go to gyms.
    Everyone says don't don't worry about what other people think, they're there to exercise, just like you. But it's human nature to judge others.
    I'm better off exercising on my own, where there's no one around to judge me, but me.
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I guess I live in a weird area. We don't see the drop off until March 1st.

If any of the new folks are left after that I'll start to make some new friends...
  • justicer68
    Options
    I'm a repeat newbie... I stopped going for a few months. I can still barely find a parking space or open treadmill on weeknights, but the place is a ghost town on Friday & Saturday nights.

I guess you could say I am a repeater too. Due to some injuries last year I had to take some time off but I am back at it full time now. :) I have changed my work schedule to leave a little earlier so I can beat the crowd so to speak. Circuits are almost impossible if I get there any later. It's the same here too - slow on Friday and Saturdays.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This explains why I had no problem getting a parking space last night! I usually have to wait for someone to leave!
  • justicer68
    Options
    This right here is why I don't go to gyms.
    Everyone says don't don't worry about what other people think, they're there to exercise, just like you. But it's human nature to judge others.
    I'm better off exercising on my own, where there's no one around to judge me, but me.

I wish I could work out at home. It is my relaxation zone so I choose the gym. You are right though. Too many people judge. Me personally I couldn't give a rats patootie what people think. I am there for one reason and one reason only - me.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have been being a "fake" newbie - with travelling for my job I often turn up at a gym attached to a hotel go once and then disappear. Mind you, I'm a "fake" newbie at all times of the year.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Why do people cheer about this? The way I see it, if your gym and it's members had been more supportive of the newbies at a time when you all knew they would be challenged, maybe you could have helped them stick with it and made a real difference in more of their lives. Clearly, your gym doesn't do well by the members who need it the most (the new ones).

Because it says so much about how people think they can quick fix there long term abuse and sorry sob stories of unluckiness

75% have given up by 21st Jan apparently - no level of support from a gym will help that
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Everybody in here was a newbie once to
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The new crowd has started to thin out at my gym. There are still a few newbies there and I hope they stick it out.

As a side note - why is it that every time someone mentions newbies there's a crowd of people here who assume we're being judgemental and nasty?. It's just an observation!

A few weeks ago I posted something similar and got called discouraging, judgmental, the sole reason a few of you decided not to join a gym, a snob, a jerk, a complainer, in a bad mood (need more carbs?!), the reason that people are uncomfortable and fail, hypocritical, non-supportive, degrading to other people, intimidating, and an elitist. And even one of the reasons that humanity is going down the drain. Granted, most people took it in the way it was intended, but it was pretty amazing.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    cool story
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Why do people cheer about this? The way I see it, if your gym and it's members had been more supportive of the newbies at a time when you all knew they would be challenged, maybe you could have helped them stick with it and made a real difference in more of their lives. Clearly, your gym doesn't do well by the members who need it the most (the new ones).

Because it says so much about how people think they can quick fix there long term abuse and sorry sob stories of unluckiness

75% have given up by 21st Jan apparently - no level of support from a gym will help that

Citation for your study for the 75%? Seriously, I want someone to link me to an article about gym that actually does even one of the things I mentioned and for an employee of that gym to tell me that their efforts were a complete waste of time.

If it were a different business, like a restaurant, and only 25% of the customers came back as regulars, how would that business get a good reputation and stay in business? Bad gyms are rigged to be all about the money instead of all about health.

I'd pay more for a gym with good service that goes a little above and beyond to help me meet a goal and build a good habit rather than to just leave me to my own devices as a "noob".

Heck, my dentist does a better job than the local gym did. Now, my dentist doesn't have a key fob, but they did take my picture when I first went there. Now when I show up for appointments, they don't ask me my name because they spot me from my photo on the list for the day. They even compliment me when they think I look skinnier (6 months between visits, so it's more likely noticeable). They take notes when I chit chat with them too, so when my hubby comes in or when I come back they can pick up where we left off, "Oh so how was the wedding?! How do you like the new house? etc" I know they're "cheating" because they have my photo and file open as they see me come in, but it really makes for a great service experiences and I recommend them to anyone who asks. Gyms could do something similar if they cared.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling butt hurt already by this thread....

Okay, not...but I don't notice the drop off at the gym since I will purposely go in the middle of the night so I can have it to myself...but I'm like that...am I right Ty?

:wink: