Runner's death linked to Jack3d

Options

Replies

• Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that DMAA has been made illegal says everything that needs to be said. She didn't deserve to die and given the ambiguity on the warning on the product I find it hard to comprehend how it can be suggested that she was at fault in some way.

Well said and it mimics amphetamine and behaves in a similar way.

And did she know she had a heart condition?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Are you really that led to believe legality has anything to do with safety?

Amen, how many drugs are legal almost everywhere and prescribed by doctors that have some awful side-effects and even lead to death, complications, suicide and also the death of others...

I believe this is an all out attempt as usual for the obliteration of free choice. The government is always attempting to quash alternative therapies and such. Here is another ploy to get supplements banned and off the shelves. Disgusting. (what has the news been all about lately - this runner, the stuff about celebs using this and that supplement, etc, get the picture?!)

p.s. I have other issues with this investigation, other than the fact they are blaming the supplement. There are a few more factors that are involved I suspect...
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's not a good idea to take pre-workout supplement at any dosage and do cardio.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that DMAA has been made illegal says everything that needs to be said. She didn't deserve to die and given the ambiguity on the warning on the product I find it hard to comprehend how it can be suggested that she was at fault in some way.

Legality means nothing. And it is not illegal. It is about money in the most part.

The MHRA now classify it as a drug, and that it has to be given a classification and licensed to be sold as one, not a dietary aid. In the same way that the MHRA said that milk thistle, Horny Goat Weed and terrestris tribulus are considered medicinal now and need licencing despite being sold for as long as I can remember... and this licence costs literally thousands to purchase which for most companies make it impossible for them to afford.

Are you really that led to believe legality has anything to do with safety?

Why do you feel the need to defend this so much?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Did she consult her doctor before using the product? And while I have not seen the label of the UK version, it is most certainly labeled in the US version.

It was banned in the US due to stupidity of some some users and an overzealous government, also see ephedra, four loko etc etc
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Well said and it mimics amphetamine and behaves in a similar way.

And did she know she had a heart condition?

It is not thought she had a heart condition - an acupuncturist 'diagnosed' it but the coroner said it had never been picked up by her GP so it's highly unlikely she had an irregular heartbeat.

She was fit, healthy and exercised several times a week. She was also an experienced runner and had done marathons and half marathons before. But sadly she trusted that something you can buy off the shelf was safe to take - as most of us would. The ingredient that is thought to have led to her death has now been removed from the product.

If anyone would like any good to come out of this then please donate money to the Samaritans (a charity that runs crisis telephone lines for people at risk of suicide) . Claire's page is here: http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2/eurl.axd/a1df7328ec1e8c4a89dc827789b695e1
  • nexangelus
    Options

Did she consult her doctor before using the product? And while I have not seen the label of the UK version, it is most certainly labeled in the US version.

It was banned in the US due to stupidity of some some users and an overzealous government, also see ephedra, four loko etc etc

Thank you...government intervention...enough said, this is exactly where this is all leading...

If anyone would like any good to come out of this then please donate money to the Samaritans (a charity that runs crisis telephone lines for people at risk of suicide)

No, if anyone wants any good to come of this, stop listening to the mainstream answers...the government wants control...are we not all adults, can we not research and decide for ourselves anymore....fight the system....this is one of many stories that are going to crop up now, just you wait and see...

Yeah, let's ban caffeine and alcohol and nicotine while we are at it, shall we?!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Claire Squires did not "misuse" anything. She was totally misled by the product which contained a amphetamine which has various product names DMAA and also known as dimethylamylamine. Also known as a geranium extract.

The labelling was misleading to deceptively hide the ingredient and Claire Squires was totally innocent regarding taking this.

She was neither niave or misusing, she was misled.

The labelling and product has now been amended to remove the ingredient as it is now banned.

She was also therefore incredibly unlucky and an unfortunate victim of poorly regulated UK supplement and nutrition law.

Please lets not have a debate about whether this poor girl knew about it, was misusing or anything else.

You don't know the facts.

Lets focus on the positive, her life and unfortunate death raised £1 million for great causes.
    End of

Weathers

AMEN. THIS.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I am defending it because a logical mind will see that this is media hysteria.

There are so many products available OTC out there that are dangerous and can do the same thing it is crazy just to look at this one single report and consider it the font of all knowledge.

Look at it with open eyes. Medically, beyond this coroners report there is no medical proof linking DMAA to anything at recommend dosages. The only other reports were from a was a 21 year old male from new Zealand taking 556mg combined with caffeine and alcohol,which seems very stupid but didn't cause death AND the two US marines who too 10-20x the dose recommended.#

Another way to look at it - GNC spokesman Greg Miller said the company has sold 440 million doses of DMAA products since 2007, with only one report of any problems.

It is a pretty safe compound.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Matt isn't defending it as such, he is just stating facts as they are/were.

Claire Squires had a known pre-existing heart condition. She attempted a marathon distance, and at the 25 mile marker, she collapsed with heart failure. It subsequently transpires that she took water onboard, that contained DMAA stimulant in it.

The coroner found that the stimulant was a potential cause in her death.

However, I think that the most likely cause is the extreme exercise, combined with the heart condition, causing heart failure.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    She was fit, healthy and exercised several times a week. She was also an experienced runner and had done marathons and half marathons before. But sadly she trusted that something you can buy off the shelf was safe to take - as most of us would. The ingredient that is thought to have led to her death has now been removed from the product.

I am sorry, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I run in obstacle races like the Spartan Races and during registration, they give you some samples of different products from Gaspari Nutrition. Did I take it before the race?! Heck no! Why would I take ANYTHING before a race if I have never taken it before? I have no idea how my body will react! Heck, maybe it won't kill me but what if it gave me a wicked case of diarrhea in the middle of the race? Isn't that alone enough of a reason not to take a new product before an event like that? YES! IT IS! Why don't I chance it? Because I am not careless and stupid. I am sorry for the loss of the girl's life, but you can NOT ban stupid. She was a moron for taking it before a race without testing it on her body first in a controlled environment and unfortunately paid with her life. It is a sad story indeed and I am sure we can all agree we wish it didn't happen. As a side note, if you would take anything you can buy off the shelf thinking it was safe to take, you need to educate yourself.
  • nexangelus
    Options

There are so many products available OTC out there that are dangerous and can do the same thing it is crazy just to look at this one single report and consider it the font of all knowledge.

Look at it with open eyes. Medically, beyond this coroners report there is no medical proof linking DMAA to anything at recommend dosages. The only other reports were from a was a 21 year old male from new Zealand taking 556mg combined with caffeine and alcohol,which seems very stupid but didn't cause death AND the two US marines who too 10-20x the dose recommended.#

Another way to look at it - GNC spokesman Greg Miller said the company has sold 440 million doses of DMAA products since 2007, with only one report of any problems.

Yep, again...*nodding head* QFT
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options

Agree with Matt here. You don't have to condone something just because you may back up actual evidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. I swear, people are becoming more gullible by the day. It's no wonder the government just keeps on growing. People refuse to actually think. Being led is so much easier.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Claire Squires had a known pre-existing heart condition. She attempted a marathon distance, and at the 25 mile marker, she collapsed with heart failure. It subsequently transpires that she took water onboard, that contained DMAA stimulant in it.

However, I think that the most likely cause is the extreme exercise, combined with the heart condition, causing heart failure.

No she didn't. There was no medical record of this and her GP did not know about it.

Jon van der Walt, the doctor carried out the postmortem examination, said on the "balance of probability" based on his own examination of Squires and on evidence from the inquest, the cause of death had been a heart attack caused by "extreme physical exertion complicated by [DMAA]".

He added: "[Squires] had taken vigorous exercise over many years. I would regard that as a stress test: she has been able to do all this before, therefore it is unlikely that she had fatal arrhythmia."
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

No she didn't. There was no medical record of this and her GP did not know about it.

Jon van der Walt, the doctor carried out the postmortem examination, said on the "balance of probability" based on his own examination of Squires and on evidence from the inquest, the cause of death had been a heart attack caused by "extreme physical exertion complicated by [DMAA]".

He added: "[Squires] had taken vigorous exercise over many years. I would regard that as a stress test: she has been able to do all this before, therefore it is unlikely that she had fatal arrhythmia."

Hmm - footballers who run for 90 mins at a time, week in week out all suffer heart attacks too, out of the blue. See Daniel Jarque, Phil O'Donnell, John Marshall, Fabrice Muamba, Anthony Van Loo, Marc Viven Foe... the list goes on.

Far from conclusive. A lot of pressure on a Dr = the result the government wants to hear. Remember what happens to those that disagree...

Even a video of it happening here - http://youtu.be/hC-BcOwIvrI
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    To clear a few things up

1- Jack3d is not banned in the US nor was it ever fully banned in the US. US retailers pulled it from shelves after the two soldiers death a a knee jerk reaction, but smaller stores like Max Nutrition and online retailers continued to carry it. Since then, it has returned to store shelves, including GNC. No I'm not confusing this with the new Jack3d micro, both are on store shelves together. This exact same thing happened when Hydroxycut was linked to killing people and causing heart damage.

2-Don't blame a product for a persons general abuse and misuse of it. Jack3d has several warnings on the bottle, and contrary to previous posts it says to start with one scoop to assess tolerance and go up from there, but do not exceed three scoops in a single day. If as an adult, instructions are too difficult for you then you were not long for this earth anyway.

3-There is nothing wrong with a pre-workout drink to help give you a little extra boost, I have personally used Jack3d for close to a decade now. I cycle between that and other pre-workouts as I feel fit and have had no unhealthy side effects because of it, and yes, I go to the doctor annually.

4-There is still yet to be a report that Jack3d is the definitive cause to her death, so please learn to comprehend what you read before running around crying about the sky falling
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Whelp, looks like alcohol is on the chopping block too. Do I really need to post any article on alcohol related deaths ?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Aspirin has killed many many many many(I can go on) more deaths. It's fun to ban stuff because of that one case, or 10. How many total DMAA deaths? 5? 3 are reported right? Two in the army and 1 runner. Holy crap.
This discussion has been closed.