Gym newbies already gone at my gym ...

Options

Replies

• wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Why do people cheer about this? The way I see it, if your gym and it's members had been more supportive of the newbies at a time when you all knew they would be challenged, maybe you could have helped them stick with it and made a real difference in more of their lives. Clearly, your gym doesn't do well by the members who need it the most (the new ones).

Anyone at the gym I go to will tell you that I am approachable and encouraging and so are the rest of the regulars. However, if you are new I'm not just going to walk up to you and start talking to you about your program or your form. That's pretty overbearing and rude. If you are new and have question or need a spot, it's on you to ask! That's how I met all of those people too!
  • fixyourdns
    Options
    It must have been so nice for some of you!
    You joined your local gym and you were fit and trim and hard bodied. Everyone there welcomed you and asked your advice and you were loved….
    Now you actually have struggling fat people showing up at your gym and you only hope that Feb. 15th gets here so life and your work out will be back to normal.

The noobies felt the gym vibe and thought why not stay home, that bag of cookies still cares about me.

How many offered them a hand, maybe a cup of coffee after… let them know you were a noobie to…

OK I rant.. some of you seem to care, I will with draw back to the shadows again.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Gyms still get a huge amount of money from people that don't show up. How many other industries do you know that companies just get money for simply existing.

Also reminds me of the friends episode where chandler and Ross tried to cancel their gym memberships. As someone states before
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What everyone is missing here is that gyms and health clubs are in business to provide a service or product and turn a profit. If the business is failing to deliver on that service or product, it will fail.

Have you ever purchased something that sat in your garage and gathered dust? Did you blame the other customers who purchased the same item and use it every day for the fact that you didn't feel supported in your purchase of your new expensive widget?

Gym members are customers. It is up to the gyms to see to their new and established members, not the customers.

I think we might be in agreement, but I'm not sure I'm reading you right. A gym membership is not a good. It's a service. I see helping the newbies as good service.

I don't think members should be required to help the newbies, but they could and should be encouraged to make them feel welcome at least. It makes me sad to see established members bash the newbies instead of becoming part of the solution. If established members are so annoyed by newbies, why don't they at least asking the gym why the gym isn't doing more to help the newbies?
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I workout at home but I do have a monthly business meeting at a local community center. It has a giant gym, well equiped, really nicve place. In January I went one night for the meeting and whopooooooaaaaaaaa, the place was jammm packed, and you could deffinetly tell who was'nt a regular, lol.... 20 somethings every where on cell phones, I mean just having out loud converstaions. People going the wrong way on the track, I knew that could'nt last, lol......
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Why do people cheer about this? The way I see it, if your gym and it's members had been more supportive of the newbies at a time when you all knew they would be challenged, maybe you could have helped them stick with it and made a real difference in more of their lives. Clearly, your gym doesn't do well by the members who need it the most (the new ones).

I didn't realize it was my job to make sure that the strangers with resolutions keep with it. I must be wrong in assuming that when I go to the gym I'm just supposed to work out and go home... I guess I'll have to think of a cheerleading routine for next week....

When I started at the gym, I didn't have babysitter making sure I came. I just motivated myself and wanted to change for the better. I don't expect people at my gym to hold me accountable. That's not what they're there for. Neither am I.

No one says you have to be a babysitter. But when someone is cheering that the 'n00bs' are gone...
    Would you want to go to a gym where, if you lost your motivation; instead of someone trying to help you get back into it and not give up, they /cheer/ about you being gone?
    That's like cheering that notice 'so and so hasn't logged on for a week, maybe they need some encouragement.' from MFP shows up in your feed. I'm pretty sure most of us are just here to log in our food and move on with our day, but that doesn't mean you need to cheer when someone else doesn't log in.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My gym is still pretty busy between 5-6:15, must be the magical hour. Cuz after that, it empties out with the quickness. So I just take my time getting there and usually don't get out on the weight floor much before 6. By the time I warm up and get to lifting, I'm not bumping elbows with anyone.

I've also noticed that the gym seems to be the busiest on Monday nights, and then slowly tapers off as the week goes on. I wonder if it's because people feel guilty about what they ate over the weekend and think that one gym session is going to take care of that? Either way, as long as I can get to my weights without having to wait or glare someone down for texting instead of lifting, I'm good.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It must have been so nice for some of you!
    You joined your local gym and you were fit and trim and hard bodied. Everyone there welcomed you and asked your advice and you were loved….
    Now you actually have struggling fat people showing up at your gym and you only hope that Feb. 15th gets here so life and your work out will be back to normal.

The noobies felt the gym vibe and thought why not stay home, that bag of cookies still cares about me.

How many offered them a hand, maybe a cup of coffee after… let them know you were a noobie to…

OK I rant.. some of you seem to care, I will with draw back to the shadows again.

Who joined the gym and was already hard bodied? Sure wasn't me. The OP said nothing about "hoping it get's back to normal." He actually said congrats to the people who stuck it out.
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I Have to say, my gym is busier than ever this past week! The evening classes are all over subscribed and the machines are rammed - up unitl 8.45 when it empties out super fast. I'm quite impressed that most are sticking it out...

My PT told me that in the first week on january alone they had 250 new sign ups... and had to hire more trainers, on temp contracts, as it isn't due to die out unitl March (apparently most of the newbs make it through till March)

The only negative experience I've had with newbies was just last night, two giggly girls joined out class 10 minutes late, then spent half of the lesson laughing and falling over each other, to the point that the instructor threatened to split them up - then actually joined in for a few minutes - then ran out laughing, leaving behind their matts and weights... then I saw their plastic water bottles on the changing room floor - :noway: whyyyyy girls, why?!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    What everyone is missing here is that gyms and health clubs are in business to provide a service or product and turn a profit. If the business is failing to deliver on that service or product, it will fail.

Have you ever purchased something that sat in your garage and gathered dust? Did you blame the other customers who purchased the same item and use it every day for the fact that you didn't feel supported in your purchase of your new expensive widget?

Gym members are customers. It is up to the gyms to see to their new and established members, not the customers.

I think we might be in agreement, but I'm not sure I'm reading you right. A gym membership is not a good. It's a service. I see helping the newbies as good service.

I don't think members should be required to help the newbies, but they could and should be encouraged to make them feel welcome at least. It makes me sad to see established members bash the newbies instead of becoming part of the solution. If established members are so annoyed by newbies, why don't they at least asking the gym why the gym isn't doing more to help the newbies?

Why would the gym do that? They just spent so much on New Years advertising, made a killing in new recruits and then get paid whether they show up or not. Why would you spend more money when you're making money without helping them?

You have to realize the gym is still just a business. They cut corners and petty costs to make the biggest profit they can. As a person that runs a small business, you have to say the gyms have it made.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. It's a sign of a chronic gym problem that no one cares enough to bother fixing. I'm not saying that every noobie would stick with it, but I do think that gyms and their members could do a lot more to help AND still make a profit while doing so.

For example, last time I joined a gym they gave me a key fob thingy to scan to get past the front desk. Gyms could do so much more with those, like send an email to the member if a week or more has gone by and they haven't come in.

aka: It's Febuary and you know what that means! It's time to re-affirm those new year resolutions. We've missed you this week(month, etc). Please join us for <insert free or low cost perk> on <date> or stop by the front desk to set up a session with one of our personal trainers. Mention this email to get 10% off your first training session.

Heck, even just using the fob to "learn" my name would have been nice. aka: I scan the fob, screen tells the front desk who I am (exists) and desk person SHOULD say "HI <name>!" and look at me to acknowledge my existence.

Or, have a bulletin board for members and newbies seeking "accountability buddies."

Or have a sign up sheet for members to become newbie mentors/buddies. It could be as simple as promising to call the noobie once a week. For each week/month a mentor's noobie comes in, give the member a % off next year's membership. That way the mentor member gets a perk and the noobie is more likely to renew his/her membership next year AND more likely to recommend the gym to a friend. More members who renew = more money for profit and for improvements to the gym or even opening extra locations.

I'm glad to hear that some members do try to help out the noobies. That was never my experience when I was at the local gym, but I was "noobie" in early Nov of that year, not January. Maybe no one recognized me as new even though I went at the same time each day. I live in a friendly town, but it seemed like at the gym few people smiled or waved back, even at the front desk or the locker room. Everyone was too busy living in their own world. It made me miss my old campus gym from college. I let my membership to the local gym expire. For the same price as a fancy gym membership for a year, I can buy craig list equipment and just stay home, instead.

I know that the noobies have their own share of responsibility for whether they go to the gym or not. BUT I firmly believe that gyms and their members could help a lot more of them than they do. That's a sign of a gym that's not properly serving it's members. All the gym cares about is it's pocketbook, rather than it's most valuable asset---the members (new and old).

My old gym did a lot of this. It was a local gym and I joined when they were just opening. I went 2 days and wondered around like a rat in a maze. I signed up for an introductory session with the trainer, he gave me a solid routine to follow and I started going daily. Each day the owner greeted me, asked about my progress, offered support and suggestions. When I "outgrew" the first exercise routine and went to pay for a second session with the trainer, the owner refused my money and told me it was on the house provided I keep it up. If I missed a couple days he emailed me. Unfortunately, he moved out of the area and the person that bought the gym did none of this...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Who joined the gym and was already hard bodied? Sure wasn't me. The OP said nothing about "hoping it get's back to normal." He actually said congrats to the people who stuck it out.

Thank you for getting past the tone of my first line and reading what I actually wrote.

I wish everyone was empowered to find information that is not biased, and is "good" information. I wish they had the self dedication to make good decisions for themselves/the right reasons, be realistic about those goals, and had the drive to work to acheive them.

I highly suggest the "eat, train, progress" group to all those seeking good information. Many of the regulars here (who get blasted because we've become jaded, sarcastic version of our former selfs after giving info to too many johnny come lately's) actually give good information there to people who are genuinely ready to recieve it.
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I should add - our gym IS very welcoming and encouraging, and I've lost count of times I've been waiting for a class or machine and struck up a convo with a newbie who wasn't too sure about something.

The Gym only opened last June so no one is a real veteran and all share the same space... that being said - I haven't found my way to the free weights area so I have no clue the vibe in there!
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

The stark reality is that it's a business model that works. New members join, pay an annual fee, show up for 3 weeks and are never seen again. So the gym collects one years worth of money for 3 weeks worth of service. Pretty good R.O.I right?
    If every new member stayed all year the gym would always be crowded and customer satisfaction would go down, wear and tear on assets would skyrocket and costs would too.
    Given the two scenarios which would you choose as a business owner?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I never notice to be honest, though I started at the Y last month and people find it odd that I am still there. Honestly I go either in the morning (for a while I would, but I rather enjoy sleep) or late at night (like 8:30) in order to avoid a lot of younger people (aka the high schoolers that look at me up and down thinking "god why is she here?") and also there isn't usually a lot of people there at that time of day.
  • bailuna
    Options
    I can't believe the attitude of some of the people here.

Yes, let's mock those who tried and have failed. Those who are sitting at home, feeling horrible about themselves because they didn't make it as long as they wanted to. Those who when they did go, felt out of place but at least they were trying.

And this is a site where people are supposed to encourage each other. "Don't worry about what other people think, they aren't judging you!"

When this thread is really all about judging.

Don't get me wrong, I love a quiet gym. I love when locker space is available and I don't have to use the machines I don't like. But I don't mind not having somewhere to hang up my clothes and I don't mind having to circle a few times for a parking spot if it means that there are people in the gym who are working on bettering themselves.

I don't consider them "newbies" and I certainly don't celebrate when they stop showing up.

Way to be a supportive community.
  • bailuna
    Options

And "I told you so" to the ones who didn't. So supportive!
  • b_stroke
    b_stroke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    not mine yet, though you can usually tell whos going to leave next.
    sucks they cant make the change for health but maybe they werent really ready to?
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options

It's gym humor and it's frankly based in economic reality. None of us is responsible for whether someone shows up or not. It's up to them to make the commitment and stick with it.

I beg to differ. It's a sign of a chronic gym problem that no one cares enough to bother fixing. I'm not saying that every noobie would stick with it, but I do think that gyms and their members could do a lot more to help AND still make a profit while doing so.

For example, last time I joined a gym they gave me a key fob thingy to scan to get past the front desk. Gyms could do so much more with those, like send an email to the member if a week or more has gone by and they haven't come in.

aka: It's Febuary and you know what that means! It's time to re-affirm those new year resolutions. We've missed you this week(month, etc). Please join us for <insert free or low cost perk> on <date> or stop by the front desk to set up a session with one of our personal trainers. Mention this email to get 10% off your first training session.

Heck, even just using the fob to "learn" my name would have been nice. aka: I scan the fob, screen tells the front desk who I am (exists) and desk person SHOULD say "HI <name>!" and look at me to acknowledge my existence.

Or, have a bulletin board for members and newbies seeking "accountability buddies."

Or have a sign up sheet for members to become newbie mentors/buddies. It could be as simple as promising to call the noobie once a week. For each week/month a mentor's noobie comes in, give the member a % off next year's membership. That way the mentor member gets a perk and the noobie is more likely to renew his/her membership next year AND more likely to recommend the gym to a friend. More members who renew = more money for profit and for improvements to the gym or even opening extra locations.

I'm glad to hear that some members do try to help out the noobies. That was never my experience when I was at the local gym, but I was "noobie" in early Nov of that year, not January. Maybe no one recognized me as new even though I went at the same time each day. I live in a friendly town, but it seemed like at the gym few people smiled or waved back, even at the front desk or the locker room. Everyone was too busy living in their own world. It made me miss my old campus gym from college. I let my membership to the local gym expire. For the same price as a fancy gym membership for a year, I can buy craig list equipment and just stay home, instead.

I know that the noobies have their own share of responsibility for whether they go to the gym or not. BUT I firmly believe that gyms and their members could help a lot more of them than they do. That's a sign of a gym that's not properly serving it's members. All the gym cares about is it's pocketbook, rather than it's most valuable asset---the members (new and old).

If you open a gym I'm joining.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Ironically, the regulars have just this week started talking to me. I just so happened to start at a new gym in January because of a promotion and a move to a new office, so obviously they would have no way of knowing I have stuck to this about 9 months now. Good thing is at 7am there is not a whole lot of people anyway.

this! I finally got my first hello by one of the regulars that I see every other day. Before the holidays I was in the gym all the time but just later in the day so I never saw any of these people. I love my 7:20am workouts!