Salad dressing?

Options
Ok so we all know dressing is a killer on calories.... Any suggestions? I need a good low cal recipe or bottled.

Replies

• tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My favs are the newman's own liten up, all of them are really good with 40 cals or less for 2 tablespoons, but my very fav is Free zesty Itailin dressing by kraft. I even cook with it instead of oil (veggies, eggs) and it has 15 for 2 tablespoons
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    oh and I forgot.... i also use cottage cheese (fat free) and mix a packet of ranch seasoning with it and use about a 1/4 cup of the mixture for about 45 cals
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    oh and I forgot.... i also use cottage cheese (fat free) and mix a packet of ranch seasoning with it and use about a 1/4 cup of the mixture for about 45 cals

That sounds really good! I am going to have to try that as a dip for carrots, etc.

I also use the Fat free Italian. It is the lowest calorie dressing I have found in the store.
  • shawley1
    shawley1 Posts: 25
    Options
    Buy the ranch dry packets and make the dressing recipe on the back with fat free mayo and skim milk!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I like organic raspberry vinaigrette
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I like organic raspberry vinaigrette

DITTO this.....very yummy!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I usually just drizzle my salad with balsamic vinegar, or balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has a Champagne Pear vinegarette that is amazing! Its 55 calories for a serving and a little goes a long way. I bring it the cafeteria at work and use it instead of the salad dressing that they have there. Trader Joes has a few good ones that are yummy and low in calories, I remember seeing a raspberry one.
  • msdjsmith95
    msdjsmith95 Posts: 14
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette has 30 calories in 2 tablespoons, and I agree that the Newman's Own Lighten Up Basalmic Vinaigrette has tons of flavor as well. Two tablespoons goes A LONG ways on a healthy-sized salad.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette has 30 calories in 2 tablespoons,

this one is yummy too!!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Honey mustard vinagerette spray.....1 calorie per spray.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    i never use low cal dressings, I do not like the taste and I think that they use a lot of chemical fillers. So I have two tricks. The first one sounds dumb but really works for me. I put the dressing on the side, dip my fork tines into the dressing before i take a bite of salad so that with each bite I get a bit of dressing. Dressing goes far this way! The other method was taught to me by a personal trainer: Take your favourite creamy dressing, place into bowl, In a food processor put equal amount of cottage cheese and blitz to smooth finish. Combine both well in a bowl. You can use this as a dip or dressing. You can add back some of the dressing to bring the taste up to your personal taste. This method cuts the calories, trims the fat, does not jeopardize rich taste and adds healthy calcium and a protein to your daily diet!
  • ScarryYo21
    ScarryYo21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I only like Ranch dressing...so I knew I would have a problem. I was looking through the store and near the veggie section I found Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ranch dressing. I was surprised that it's really good and if you watch your portions it's not too bad for you.
    2 tbsp
    calories 70
    total fat 6 grams
    and It comes in a variety of flavors !
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can usually tolerate the lower fat/calorie dressings (I like Kraft's Greek dressing the best), or sometimes I dice up pickles and toss them in the salad for seasoning. I've also recently discovered that a little lemon juice is sometimes good enough...
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I only like Ranch dressing...so I knew I would have a problem. I was looking through the store and near the veggie section I found Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ranch dressing. I was surprised that it's really good and if you watch your portions it's not too bad for you.
    2 tbsp
    calories 70
    total fat 6 grams
    and It comes in a variety of flavors !
    I recently discovered the Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Blue Cheese dressing, and I really like it. I was wondering if the ranch was good too. I'll try that next. Thanks!
  • mrswaltz
    mrswaltz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had no idea Bolthouse Farms made dressing! Now, thanks to you, I am SO excited to go to the store tomorrow :)
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Maple grove balsamic vinigraitte. 5 calories for 2 TBSP.

Gonna hafta try the rasberry - haven't seen it yet :smile:
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've personally found that if the salad contains high quality fresh ingredients I don't really need a dressing at all. On occasion, I will dole out a teaspoon of dressing onto a plate or in a cup and use my fork to dip and sneak some flavor. There are so many amazing dressing out there. I'm personally a fan of honey mustard and raspberry vinaigrette.
  • christadh
    christadh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A few different popular flavors of dressing (ranch, blue cheese, etc) are now being offered as a yogurt-based dressing which has reduced calories. But the absolute best thing to do is use a vinaigrette. Light zesty italian dressing is only a couple of calories per tsp as opposed to ranch which can be about 40 per tsp, depending on brand, etc.

The thing about "lite" dressing is that when the manufacturer takes out some of the fat, they put in sugar instead. So it's really not as good for you as they would have you believe.

I looove ranch, on chicken, sandwiches, salads, etc... But if you're serious about cutting calories then go for the balsamic vinegar and the like.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    A few different popular flavors of dressing (ranch, blue cheese, etc) are now being offered as a yogurt-based dressing which has reduced calories. But the absolute best thing to do is use a vinaigrette. Light zesty italian dressing is only a couple of calories per tsp as opposed to ranch which can be about 40 per tsp, depending on brand, etc.

The thing about "lite" dressing is that when the manufacturer takes out some of the fat, they put in sugar instead. So it's really not as good for you as they would have you believe.

I looove ranch, on chicken, sandwiches, salads, etc... But if you're serious about cutting calories then go for the balsamic vinegar and the like.
    The Bolthouse yogurt-based dressings are low-fat and have no added sugar. The blue cheese has only 50 calories for 2 tablespoons. I use half a tablespoon on my salad, so that's a whopping 12.5 calories. Not too shabby in my book.