Fat Free half & half--think twice

Options
astridfeline
astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
I once accidentally bought fat free half & half. The ingredient list disgusted me:

Ingredients: Nonfat milk, milk, CORN SYRUP, artificial color, SUGAR, dipotassium phosphate, sodium citrate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, natural and artificial flavors, vitamin A palmitate.

Many fat-free products have added sugars (in all its sneaky forms) to make the doctored version taste as good as the original.

IMHO, I prefer a little bit of saturated fat in my diet to sugar and chemicals. The originals taste oh so good, satisfy the taste buds and the body's nutritional requirements, and when portion sizes are watched, are much healthier than the adulterated versions.

Replies

• astridfeline
    Options
    I once accidentally bought fat free half & half. The ingredient list disgusted me:

Ingredients: Nonfat milk, milk, CORN SYRUP, artificial color, SUGAR, dipotassium phosphate, sodium citrate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, natural and artificial flavors, vitamin A palmitate.

Many fat-free products have added sugars (in all its sneaky forms) to make the doctored version taste as good as the original.

IMHO, I prefer a little bit of saturated fat in my diet to sugar and chemicals. The originals taste oh so good, satisfy the taste buds and the body's nutritional requirements, and when portion sizes are watched, are much healthier than the adulterated versions.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    YES.. most fat free items are mainly made from corn suryp.... its what gives it the taste that fat normally gives... I found this out when I wasnt loosing weight.... Dr said casue my body was storing the corn suryp cuz i wasnt having fat.... go figure.... SO I only use some fat free items.... milk mainly... but i use 2 percent cheeses and go with natural products.. and low fat ones... its kinda sick if u think about it.. y our not safe with any thing:bigsmile:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    here here! or is it hear hear? lol anyway I AGREE!

Lately w/ my little health scare, I'm trying to get back to basics, limit chemically engineered foods as much as I can...lol...and also trans fats, fructose things like that....I know some of the foods I eat will be higher in cals but some won't and for those that are...I'll learn to moderate better!

hugs and great thread!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    I completely agree. "healthy food" Isn''t "low calorie, low fat food" it is important to watch our intake but not substitute good fats and calories for empty fats and calories. I am happy you brought that to light about half and half. thanks!:smile:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Just give me the half & half. I only have a couple tablespoons and count it. I also do not use margarine, which is really bad for you as well. I mix real butter, half and half with olive oil and make my own spread. Once refridgerated, it solidifies and makes a great spread with a buttery taste.
  • astridfeline
    Options
    :wink:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    couldn't agree more! I take the real thing and count it, calories and all. Instead I'll use a tiny bit of real butter, or whipping cream instead of cool whip, or the full-calorie half-n-half instead of trying. Same with salad dressing -- the fat free stuff has SO much sugar it's disgusting! I saw Dr. Oz on Oprah one time talking about what happens to margarine in your system and I haven't touched the stuff since.

Once I started really keeping an eye out for the corn syrup I was horrified -- it seemed to be the second ingredient listed in almost every food I thought was healthy because it was low-fat!

Very eye-opening, thanks for posting.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    couldn't agree more! I take the real thing and count it, calories and all. Instead I'll use a tiny bit of real butter, or whipping cream instead of cool whip, or the full-calorie half-n-half instead of trying. Same with salad dressing -- the fat free stuff has SO much sugar it's disgusting! I saw Dr. Oz on Oprah one time talking about what happens to margarine in your system and I haven't touched the stuff since.

Once I started really keeping an eye out for the corn syrup I was horrified -- it seemed to be the second ingredient listed in almost every food I thought was healthy because it was low-fat!

Very eye-opening, thanks for posting.
    Yeah ff dressing is the worst... my dr told me to just use a low carb ones instead like ranch or italain or even a serving of cesar.. the rest are really high in fat.... its just so strange how they say eat this eat that and nothing is good.. UGH :bigsmile:
  • mrucci
    mrucci Posts: 8
    Options
    Great post! Good old olive oil and vinegar are a great dressing too. I too use full fat mayo, butter, etc., just in moderation. I count the calories and the fat, but I don't use the fake stuff. It is not worth it to me in terms of satisfaction or health. I think the other stuff is so chemically altered it is scary. Same goes for drinks - I don't drink anything with nutrasweet, splenda or any of that junk!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i use sugar free hazelnut or vanilla 1/2 & 1/2 and i love it i do put splenda in my coffee though i cant give up my creamy coffee

it only has 15 calories but i use extra so it adds up to 45 cals which is ok for me because i need the coffee :laugh: or my boss would fire me :laugh: