Binge eating

Options
I have been doing so well on eating for the past month. I have been pretty strict, exercising 5 days a week, and doing boxing 3 of those days. I guess I didn't eat enought during the day yesterday because when I got home from work around 5 I was starving. I ate a bowl of soup and that didn't put a dent in my hunger, and I ended up binge eating on a bunch of carbs. I felt so horrible about it. I have to make sure I don't let myself get that hungry because when I get that hungry to where I can't concentrate my willpower goes out the window. I know one bad evening wont mess me up too bad, I was just curios if anyone else has the same problem.

Replies

• imjenjen00
    Options
    Hi :) I've done my share of binging so I understand your frustration. I think you're right, that you're not eating enough during the day. I try to eat some protein with each meal and each snack (check out my diary if you'd like). Doing this has worked for me...21 days binge free :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I've done my share of binging so I understand your frustration. I think you're right, that you're not eating enough during the day. I try to eat some protein with each meal and each snack (check out my diary if you'd like). Doing this has worked for me...21 days binge free :)

I agree. When I ate 1000-1200 calories a day (by accident, thought I was eating healthy but not counting, and I was under eating) I would binge like crazy. Now that I've upped my calories, no binging. This is what I'm following:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Never really been a binger. Yeah no sense in not eating during the day just to be so hungry that you end up doing that.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I find that even when I eat enough throughout the day, if I put a good work out in I am revenous when I get home. Drink plenty of water, eat one healthy protein packed snack and then wait a good 20 mins. It takes our bodies about 20 mins to realize we are full, if after 20 mins you still feel hungry, then eat something else and wait again...repeat until satisfaction is reached.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    When you have a bad eating day, just shrug it off and move on. It's hard sometimes, but you can't do anything about it now. It's most important to not totally fall off the wagon and stop eating healthily. If you find that you get hungry during the day, start breaking your meals up, so you're eating 5 or 6 smaller meals so you don't ever get crazy hungry. Bring some healthy snacks with you to work, apples, nuts, etc. Each day is a new day, so treat it like that. Plus, if you're going to the gym regularly, you probably won't have much gain from the carb overload.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeh I was so hungry that I ate the soup too fast, I probably should have slowed down because after I was done with my chip and cheese cracker fest I was stuffed.
  • rainedisaster
    rainedisaster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i have this too..as a result of my past eating disorders (read my about me) and it seems like no matter how much i eat or dont eat..i still am not losing weight... :(
  • veggiemodel
    veggiemodel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've always been a binger, but, since I started to eat enough calories and mostly important: carbs, it reduced 90%.
    People like to tell you that you should eat loads of protein to feel "full" and that carbs will make you fat, but it's just not true. The thing is: choose wisely your carbs. I only eat fresh fruit and veggies and sometimes cooked food, like potato, beans, lentils when I crave them.
    This week I had a small binge (microwave pop corn) and it was because I had not eat enough calories and carbs (net calories around 600).
    Hope it helps :)
  • rainedisaster
    Options
    I've always been a binger, but, since I started to eat enough calories and mostly important: carbs, it reduced 90%.
    People like to tell you that you should eat loads of protein to feel "full" and that carbs will make you fat, but it's just not true. The thing is: choose wisely your carbs. I only eat fresh fruit and veggies and sometimes cooked food, like potato, beans, lentils when I crave them.
    This week I had a small binge (microwave pop corn) and it was because I had not eat enough calories and carbs (net calories around 600).
    so does this mean you should not eat much protein ?
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, the best of us binge once in a great while....

Just keep your chin up and move on. Most of us have done it as well, I did it last week with a can of peanuts. >_<
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty too. I notice that when I forget to eat or deprive myself when I do get it I usually have more than I should. Every once in a while is okay. Don't beat yourself up.
  • veggiemodel
    veggiemodel Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I eat on a 80/10/10 diet, which is 80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat, pure from fruits, veggies and nuts. No high source of protein at all.
    I'm losing fat, maintaining my lean mass and nooo binging at all! Just when I don't eat at least 1200ish calories a day.
  • imjenjen00
    Options

Protein does make you feel full because it takes your body longer to digest them. Good carbs are important too.
  • rainedisaster
    Options
    ok , thanks! :)
  • christynek
    christynek Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with binge eating. If I'm hungry there is no telling what I will do! I have often times binged on well over 1,000 cals in one sitting, I'm getting better though, takes a LOT of self control and eating meals when your supposed to to avoid going into ravenous mode.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you are eating so little that you are ravenously hungry after working out, you simply need to eat more. You should be able to do so without eating more calories than you burn.

Also look to limit white carbs (corn, wheat, rice) and eat more protein and fat. These will satiate you more and kill hunger for long periods of time.

For example my normal breakfast is either a protein shake (220 calories, 50g protein) or two egg whites, two whole eggs and some guacamole (400 calories, 25g protein.) I eat that around 8am and don't feel hungry again until about 12, 12:30. I am 6'3 and just dropped under 300 lbs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Totally agree. When I plan out my meals and stick to a decent amount of protein, I never end up binging.

Unless it's my one cheat meal per week. Then all bets are off :)