money squabbles with spouse

Options
13»

Replies

• hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Dave Ramsey - get his book and read it, or go to FPU. You will never ever be able to manage your money until you know what you have, and where is has to go, before you spend a nickle. Every dollar coming in needs to have a destination before it gets there. A budget is what you need and you BOTH must agree on the budget and then do you best to stick to it. Things will ALWAYS come up unexpectedly, so you need to budget a monthly amount for those surprises...that money eventually starts to build up a bit but you have to remember is is NOT extra money...it is ear marked for "the unexpected". Once you do your budget you might find out you don't have enough income, or you might find out you have more left over than you expected...deal with it.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    While we didn't ever argue about money, it is a stressor in all lifes (unless you have more than you know what to do with I guess).

What works for us is a budget.

I created an excel spreadsheet that lists absolutely EVERYTHING. I have it broken down into sections - things that are automatcially withdrawn, and their dates, groceries, gas, fun money, kids activities, day care, debt repayment, mortgage, car loan etc.

We have been using this system since we started to save up money for our wedding.

We each get an "allowance" every 2 weeks, we withdraw the cash and are done at that. Obviously things come up from time to time, that we figure out, but we are in a pretty good position overall.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have allowance for each of us, and we can spend it on whatever we like. The only things in our budget are things that we can both agree on—food, gas, eating out, rent, car payments, bills, etc.

But the biggest thing that keeps it civil between us is that we are both understanding and have grace towards each other if one or both of us spends money outside of our allowance that wasn't in the budget. I know it is annoying and can cause you to be short in other areas, but you have to respond calmly and with forgiveness. If you just get mad and hold on to it, things won't get better... nobody is perfect, and you'll both go outside of the budget occasionally. Not the end of the world!
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    We each get 120 bucks a week for spending money. The bill money for February is saved from paychecks in January. So February 1st, all bills are paid. You have to get ahead and stay ahead. They say to get ahead 6 months..We might be two months ahead of the bills.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I got a divorce. Considering she married me for money, it fixed all my money problems. In the 15 months since our divorce she married a private in the national gaurd that she knew all of two months and is living with her parents, and I have my kids and my salary.

Of course, her having an affair, a federal felony conviction, and a domestic violence conviction all the last 9 months we were togother played a role also. But still.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I agree with having a joint as well as separate accounts, some SOs end up not being the best choices...

Personally I have a budget and allowance, I think it's the best thing!

I know other people, like some people here, where Hubby pays for A and B, Wife pays for X and Y, so long as it's figured out, that's fine!

To me the key is communication and budgeting.
  • bolesbe
    bolesbe Posts: 212
    Options
    Dave Ramsey - get his book and read it, or go to FPU. You will never ever be able to manage your money until you know what you have, and where is has to go, before you spend a nickle. Every dollar coming in needs to have a destination before it gets there. A budget is what you need and you BOTH must agree on the budget and then do you best to stick to it. Things will ALWAYS come up unexpectedly, so you need to budget a monthly amount for those surprises...that money eventually starts to build up a bit but you have to remember is is NOT extra money...it is ear marked for "the unexpected". Once you do your budget you might find out you don't have enough income, or you might find out you have more left over than you expected...deal with it.
    I agree Dave Ramsey's book or Finacial Peace University class is the best thing out there. It has hanged our lives by teaching us how to handle money. We are almost 100% debt free. Check it out, it's not easy but it's worth it!!!!
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When first married we had a joint account and it was TOXIC!!!! I'm a saver, when I do spend I want to make repairs to our home and get new windows and get new carpet and things like that!

My husband on the other hand wants Xbox games, movies, stereo equipment for his car, to go to comedy clubs, etc.

I have no trouble doing fun things, but I think they should come last.

Finally, we got seperate bank accounts, he pays certain bills and I pay certain bills. It works, except the last few weeks he's been bumming me for money and I find that extremely irritating!

Edited to add: We have also watched some of Dave Ramsey's seminars online and he has a ton of good advice! That too has helped us.