I want to hear success stories from non-gym goers!

Options

Replies

• AubreyLeong
    AubreyLeong Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My best friend lost about 30 lbs and didn't set foot in the gym until she reached her goal weight. She did the occasional jog or video but it was all about what she put in her mouth. Then she toned up after she reached her goal...for her it's easier to focus on eating and then hit the gym....so it's possibe!!
  • juliekbwell
    juliekbwell Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just cancelled my gym membership, too. It held me accountable because I was paying for it, each month. Started 30 day shred and C25K training...hoping it does the trick. I am going to start incorporating walking, too, when I can. Will be stalking. Best of luck to you.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much of a success i am yet...but i've lost 3lbs in two days, and i havent been to the gym in months. It wasnt doing anything for me.
    I watch my calories, and i make sure i do at least 30+ mins of cardio a day. And, my cardio is Wii, plus walking.
  • atiraw
    Options
    i don't touch the gym.. I walk, bike, swim when i can, do a yoga class and keep generally active. watching food intake defintely works. although i have only just started mfp, i have lost a little weight already. I am 34, 5'3 and weigh 54 kilos so it's totally doable, even without dvds.
  • devon0324
    devon0324 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well ive lost all the pounds on my ticker (37) all AT HOME!! Using Workout DVD's & on-demand (COMCAST) work-outs!!! So YES it can be done.
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    whats a gym?

This!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit of weight doing no exercise at all...just managing my calories. As my weight dropped I was more motivated to re-gain my fitness...I spent a good couple of months just doing sprints, running, running stairs at work, calisthenics, etc...no gym. I did recently join a gym, but only because I really wanted to start lifting heavy weights again...but a gym is not at all necessary for weight loss or fitness.
  • vmkimbrough
    vmkimbrough Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost 5 pounds in this first month and now I finally feel like I deserve to be on MFP.
    My overall plan is about diet right now. Just re-learning portion sizes and focus on drinking water.
    At about 3 months in, then I plan on incorporating cardio. I am hoping to do the C25K because my ultimate goal is to use jogging (eventually trail running) as my primary exercise. I think I will also do some light weights for arm strength, too.
    Hopefully by this time I will be half way to my goal weight.
    After that, I will add strength training, though I am not sure how (gym membership or doing it at home), yet.

Last time I tried to lose weight, I did both strength and diet, and was really discouraged that my weight loss was slow. Mentally I knew that it was slow because I was gaining muscle, but emotionally, I couldn't accept it.
  • pprigge
    pprigge Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Single parent and don't want to invest in a gym just yet until we get our scuba trip paid for! Have lost all my weight so far outside on my own. Just making really sure I don't go over my carb counts, walking/running many miles and also addicted to WII Just Dance, going to try out the UFC workout game I just got as well. If I hit a plateau, I bump my calories down for a day or two and add a new exercise or simply exercise more - steady as she goes!
  • sillybeggar
    sillybeggar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No gym, no exercise regime at all. Just calorie counting thanks to MFP.

It's working.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lbs without going to a gym. I run outside. I also got some used dumbbells and I was given a copy of p90x from a relative who bought it and then never used it once. I started using JM dvds (very cheap--especially on amazon). I also picked up the Supreme 90 dvds on amazon (sort of a p90x knock-off) for $10 for the entire set.

I'm trying to acquire a barbell and some heavier weights but I haven't found an affordable set yet.
  • Huasnagirl7
    Huasnagirl7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am doing my weight loss/get in shape without the Gym membership. I am walking, doing yoga and excersies in my home. I feel like the gym supressed me instead of helping me. Good luck!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    No gym for me.

Watching what I eat (and how much!) and walking is what I do.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I lost 38 pounds with a treadmill in my garage (Craig's List is awesome for getting one cheap), Wii Just Dance, walking, biking, and of course, tracking my calories! I also learned to tone with hand weights from a few sessions with a personal trainer, but I'm sure that there are videos or friends who can help you do that for free. I am not comfortable in gyms.
  • angeliqueann
    angeliqueann Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've lost 54.1 lbs. since September 25th. I just ate better, and worked out at home. I did Jiliian Michaels videos, went for walks, did yoga, jogged (rarely lol. maybe twice) and dance. I just started zumba this week. $2.00 a class. =D
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nope...no gym here. When I was in the BEST shape of my life I did karate and never lifted a weight. Jillian Micheal's DVD's are amazing BTW! Good luck...you can do it!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    See the tracker? All lost without setting foot into the gym. I am a lazy couch potato (for better or for worse), so this has all been down to what and more importantly, how much I eat. I started in August last year and have been between 1200 and 1600 cals (I am sedentary, working from home). The only exercise I have added is my daily dog walks (about half an hour at lunch, longer at the weekends) and the odd bit of Zumba on the Wii (and I do mean odd bit, like every other week or so).

Now that I am almost at goal weight I find myself considering exercise to tone up, and because I am lighter, my knees don't seem to object too much to the idea :-)

Disclaimer: I am not saying this is the ideal way, but it is my way and it works for me.

Your post = my post
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    See the tracker? All lost without setting foot into the gym. I am a lazy couch potato (for better or for worse), so this has all been down to what and more importantly, how much I eat. I started in August last year and have been between 1200 and 1600 cals (I am sedentary, working from home). The only exercise I have added is my daily dog walks (about half an hour at lunch, longer at the weekends) and the odd bit of Zumba on the Wii (and I do mean odd bit, like every other week or so).

Now that I am almost at goal weight I find myself considering exercise to tone up, and because I am lighter, my knees don't seem to object too much to the idea :-)

Disclaimer: I am not saying this is the ideal way, but it is my way and it works for me.

I did exactly what you did. EXACTLY minus the dog walking and Zumba. I once heard a doctor say; regarding weight loss, "Don't exercise any more now that you intend to the rest of your life." So I didn't.

If you need to firm up, try isometrics. You can do them anywhere; ANYWHERE. I have been at it a few times daily for about 1.5-2 months and my husband has noticed a firming, change of shape and reduction of my thighs. I have been doing my legs only. I started with upper body yesterday. Go on youtube and watch some videos. With my legs, I just tighten the crap out of them for about 10 seconds a few times a day.
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Simply work out at home. Do body weight exercises if you don't own weights, go for walk/runs, do some kickboxing. Check youtube for free workout videos. Fitnessblender
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    100% of my 101 lbs weight loss has been done at home! Never stepped into a gym! Just workout DVD's, some running, and watching calories. It is doable!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!