Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Stop eating Green Veggies!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Not kidding here. But I do recall preparing some veggies in some way can increase nitrate levels to unsafe levels. . Learned this from a baby nurse who was giving a seminar on homemade baby food. Something bout steaming something and storing??? Damn I need to google this as I cannot remember.

According to this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21075182

It sounds like putting spinach in your smoothie (pureed) is more dangerous than eating freshly picked or frozen. Soil fertilized with nitrogen fertilizer and post harvest storage damage seem to be the major culprits in raising the nitrate levels.

I know the original post is sarcastic, but I actually find this very interesting.

Not sarcasm at all, just trying to be supportive and help people meet their weight loss and health goals by hitting them with some info
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Man, I wish I'd known this when I was a kid. Then I would have had an airtight case against my mom! :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    The horrors.... I will never sleep again. Than you very much! :noway: I mean really what would happen if the sodium in my diet will mixed with the nitrates in my salad there by forming sodium nitrate. :sad: Sodium nitrate is a compound used in the manufacture of fireworks and rocket fuel... :sick: I've been fortunate so far but you just don't know about these things... I mean really that just one spark could result in flames emmanating from my buttocks sending me into orbit. :explode:

Is there a cure? How can I avoid this? I gave up smoking years ago... is it safe to be near the BBQ?

Just don't turn your back on the bbq.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Damn I think i remember now about that baby food making class. I THINK it was stressed that not all homemade is better than store bought jarred. Depending on the veggie, jarred might be better as depending on brand those veggies are guarenteed low nitrate?? But making your own might introduce too high levels for a baby. Amazing how motherhood affects the memory.
  • bcattoes
    Is this limited to green vegetables? Or just leafy vegetables? I mean, is purple kale or cabbage okay?
  • On the serious side this is a great article - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/11.full
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    oh my!
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 474 Member
    "As the #1 culprit of food poisoning, it doesn't matter if you personally have never suffered from food poisoning from green veggies, the fact that some people have is enough to recommend it to be eliminated from your diet. "

You made me laugh! You tell veggies are BAD when you probably follow a diet full of flesh of dead animal (or as u like to call, meat), which is the most acid and carcinogenic type of "food".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

35d21cgjpg.gif

Green veggies were probably the end of the Mayans..... Not corn.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    I eat raw spinach on a turkey/swiss sandwich almost everyday. Not only am I still alive, I'm pretty healthy (aside from a bit of fat). Now, I off to make yet anther turkey/swiss sandwich WITH SPINACH for today's lunch.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    That will only increase systematic inflammation from your hormones being out of wack with the ketones reaking havoc....best to just douse your veg in gin.

Might I suggest some olives.
  • funny, a lot of Paleo diets call for veggies, including celery!
  • bcattoes
    funny, a lot of Paleo diets call for veggies, including celery!

I don't get it. Why is that funny?
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    ive stopped eating most fresh veg because i seen something on tv about how its grown and how veg has hardly any nutrients in it anymore
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    This is just an FYI to stop eating your green leafy veggies.
    Not just green leafy veggies. I've stopped eating ALL VEGGIES and I never looked back. And I've never felt better. Not only are they extremely dangerous, they also taste like crap.
  • :laugh:
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    I know this is meant to be sarcastic, but if there is any truth to the nitrates in spinach and other greens, surely eating organic would help this situation? One observation that I have made is that I can eat organic spinach (frozen then cooked) and baby organic greens without having problems with my asthma. I can't eat bacon, hotdogs or drink wine with Nitrates because they bring on an a serious asthma attack. So if I am the canary in the coal mine, eat these greens, they are fine :)
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Blast it, you have now alerted the world to my slow suicide plan and I will have resort to eating my big@ss salads in the closet like I do my bacon.

Don't crumble bacon onto your salads or you'd be consuming waaaaay too many nitrates in a sitting

So use uncured bacon........ No Nitrites, less salt, sugar and depending on the brand less fat.....
  • The horrors.... I will never sleep again. Than you very much! :noway: I mean really what would happen if the sodium in my diet will mixed with the nitrates in my salad there by forming sodium nitrate. :sad: Sodium nitrate is a compound used in the manufacture of fireworks and rocket fuel... :sick: I've been fortunate so far but you just don't know about these things... I mean really that just one spark could result in flames emmanating from my buttocks sending me into orbit. :explode:

Is there a cure? How can I avoid this? I gave up smoking years ago... is it safe to be near the BBQ?

Maybe thats why I drink so much water... deep down I've always known that water puts out fires and all...:huh:

What? You mean you were being sarcastic? :noway:

LMAO :laugh:
    ROFLMAO :laugh:
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    This is just an FYI to stop eating your green leafy veggies. Using the incredibly sound logic of the Paleo diet, green leafy veggies should be avoided. As the #1 culprit of food poisoning, it doesn't matter if you personally have never suffered from food poisoning from green veggies, the fact that some people have is enough to recommend it to be eliminated from your diet.

SOME people, none I know, have actually died from plane crashes - does this mean I should give up flying?Oh, what about cars and fire and latex - they kill people to. Do I have to give them all up?

There go my camping trips wearing a catsuit roasting marshmallows.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    ITS CALLED A SALAD SPINNER.......wash your vegis before you consume..Or you may become a salad shooter LMAO .I have had spinach food poisoning ...but have also had other food poisoning. I love my spinach, cabbage, lettece etc.. I'm even wearing green today...It's my favorite color...there are nitrates in all types of food not just green stuff....Oh well what do I know I am just a fat white girl...Death by spinach it is... and that bacon I had for breakfast rocked ...