is calf size more genetic?

Options

Replies

• juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 lbs since my highest weight and the measurment of my calves hasn't changed at all - 15.5in. I know that I have the same legs that my Dad does with super muscular calves. I always just assumed it was pretty much genetic.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I went to high school with a family of big-calved kids, freaky musclular calves. The three boys were all football players and generally big, though their calves were still obviously large proportionately. The sister unfortunately went through a bad time where she was bulimic. Even when she was very very underweight, her calves were buff.
  • brscott22
    Options
    Maybe a little longer climbing ladders will help. The guys I work with have been doing it a long time.
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little longer climbing ladders will help. The guys I work with have been doing it a long time.

My husband is a roofer and has the same problem. All his weight is in his belly (i think it just needs tapped lol), but his lower body has always been defined. His calves are super muscular from going up and down ladders for 20+ years.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've always had larger calves. Even at my lowest weights (I'm currently a size 4 in most things), my calves are big. I'm also short (5'2") and have a long torso - so basically I can never, ever find tall boots that fit me properly. They don't fit around my calves, they're too long... I'm just destined to never wear tall boots. Of course that makes me really want some.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I've always had larger calves. Even at my lowest weights (I'm currently a size 4 in most things), my calves are big. I'm also short (5'2") and have a long torso - so basically I can never, ever find tall boots that fit me properly. They don't fit around my calves, they're too long... I'm just destined to never wear tall boots. Of course that makes me really want some.

custom made
  • brscott22
    Options

My husband is a roofer and has the same problem. All his weight is in his belly (i think it just needs tapped lol), but his lower body has always been defined. His calves are super muscular from going up and down ladders for 20+ years.
    hopefully I'll get there doing the same
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Calf size seems to be genetic. I seem to have inherited my large, muscular calves from my mother. In my younger days, I wished they were smaller, but I've gotten used to them over the years.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    My calves got much bigger when I started riding my bike like crazy. I was eating more than twice what I'm eating now and biking 25-40 miles a day.
  • brscott22
    Options
    My calves got much bigger when I started riding my bike like crazy. I was eating more than twice what I'm eating now and biking 25-40 miles a day.
    Im big into mountain biking but I probably need to do it more
  • jsdouglas26
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and yes they are for the most part genetic . I just measured mine at 12" and looking at my brother and father they are the same. I'm hoping to add some muscle with weights
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    Omg 11.25" calves are tiny. Mine are 18.5 . I'm the only one in my family with big calves, would like to lose a few inches off them though
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Calf size and shape is about 95% genetic. Generally if most members of your family (especially if it's one or both of your parents) have large muscular calves, then you'll most likely also have them. Likewise if they have small calves, then you're more than likely to have small calves too. Unfortunately I'm in the latter situation. My dad and most of the males in my immediate and extended family have small calves and as a result I have small calves too (13"). And to be honest I don't like them. I wish they could be bigger but I know there's not much I can do. I work them like crazy in the gym. I do calf raises at least 3 times a week with medium to heavy weights but they just won't go beyond that tiny 13". Granted, they're very muscular and very defined but that's as much as I'll get.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've always had large (and muscular not fat) calves even when I was in my 20s and weighed 135 lbs. I'm at 144lbs now and they are still pretty large at 15". I put it down to genetics and the fact that my Dad had us cycling loads when we were kids! My thighs on the other hand are rather thin in comparison - but I'm working on them, doing squats etc to get more muscle.
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    After losing 10 lbs mine actually are a little bigger
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think it is mostly genetics, but I've also heard (could be bro science) that calf size is partly determined by body weight. The idea is that calves get worked when you walk around, so bigger bodies build bigger calf muscles for walking. Lighter people usually have smaller calves (proportionally) because theirs don't carry as much weight. So, if you want to build them, you'll have to increase the weight you apply to them.
  • sbailey27
    Options
    I think genetics because of average weight but my calves are smaller than most people
  • LisaMia66
    Options
    Genetics plays a huge part. My husband always says he doesn't have calves, he has cows. :laugh: He also has huge forearms. He NEVER lifts weights. Seriously. He's been this way his whole life. His dad was built pretty much the same way and all the men on his side of the family are built the same. Our youngest daughter is built like her dad too, well not the forearm part but she has big thighs and big calves (not freakishly big).
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    You can have mine.
    I effing hate them.
    I can be 190lbs or 150 lbs, they are the same damn size....huge.
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It has everything to do with genetics. In almost all cases a Dexter calf is going to be considerably smaller then a Chianina calf.