Using HRM to determine calories burned

Options
asltiffm
asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
How do you use a HRM to determine how many calories your've burned? Or is it only certain ones that do that?

Replies

• portia
    portia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is just to make sure I get my rate high enough. Working in the zone is BS. If you are healthy and you go above out of your target you will still lose weight . I know this because I have experimented on my own body. The key is to get high enough and it is not easy. I have to run 6 miles an hour for at least 4 minutes to burn fat and keeping up that pace is difficult and very intense.I lost my HRM awhile ago and have not bought a new one. They are fun when you are at the gym and working on a machine because they are synchronized to the machine so the reading comes out on the machine which is tres cool.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Specific HRM show calories burned, not all of them do - they should specify it. Found mine online at Amazon on sale for $40, its a Timex and works great. And once you are past your weight loss goal, they are nice to have to make sure you are working hard enough, like Portia said. I still use mine even if I'm not watching calories, hard to say you're busting it when the HRM says you have a heart rate in the 80's.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    as stated before if you're wanting to know cal burned make sure you buy one with that specific feature - there are some out there that do just the basics and then some that can do way way more than that. I got a polar FT4 on amazon for about 60 bucks, it comes with a chest strap that synchronizes w/ the watch to tell you what your HR is. Mine also stores data for comparison, counts cals burned per session and gives amount of time in your "fat burning zone". It chirps at you to let you know when you're not in zone - meaning you aren't working hard enough. I find when I'm running my hrm is always higher than my target - and it chirps at me then too!
    The thing i'm enjoying most about it is that what i'm finding is that my estimations of how many cals burned (per MFP) were wayyyyy high compared to what my HRM tells me i've burned. I like that it let's me know when I'm not exerting enough energy in my w/os.
    My goal is weigh loss - so cal count is important to me however I believe I will still use it once I get into maintenance phase to make sure I exert enough energy. I'm sure there is no "exact" science to this so, as always, interpret the readings with a grain of salt
    Than's my 2 cents and good luck to you on your fitness goals,
    Janet:heart:
  • MsCracker
    MsCracker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a way to determine how many calories are burned during a typical exercise session since many aren't listed in the database. I ran across this one and it doesn't make sense to me. (Either that or I'm just really tired of trying to do math).

So I'll ask again.
    How does one determine the number of calories burned during movement,exercise etc?
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a way to determine how many calories are burned during a typical exercise session since many aren't listed in the database. I ran across this one and it doesn't make sense to me. (Either that or I'm just really tired of trying to do math).

So I'll ask again.
    How does one determine the number of calories burned during movement,exercise etc?
    You would need to set it up, go through your HRM instructions to establish this.

For mine - Sigma PC11, I had to set up my gender, age and current weight. Then before I exercise I set it to 'training' then 'start', then either 'pause' or 'end' when I am done. it will tell me how many cals I have burned, and hopw long I trained for./

Yours shouldnt be too different to work out and set up.