Anyone here do Crossfit?

Options
13»

Replies

• mike_gee15
    Options
    Wow, heated discussion lol. I just asked if ya'll do crossfit.. *awkwardly walks away*

I'm kidding, but I've incorperated some WODs into my training, I don't go to a box or anything like that but I know my olly lifts and skill sets are ok, not great. (No shoulder mobility for OH Squat), but I'll agree most people just want to get in shape and they go to the gym just for lifts, but I got to admit that doing these WODs have, I don't know, made me feel better. I wake up refreshed and go to bed feeling ok. My joints and shoulders aren't aching. I'm not hurting. I'm sore, as usual, but I feel good. I want to thank everyone for their opinions, kinda shocking knowing people disapprove of it, but I understand everyone is intitled to their own opinion.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I do Cross fit at a box. We sometimes follow the WoD and sometimes we just do that particular owners choice of WoD. We have open gym times as well which I have yet to take advantage of but should to get some weight work in daily more than the crossfit does for me.

I love my cross fit. Ive been making a habit of going steady at 5am for the last three weeks and my weight loss reflects that and some changes in my eating habits with some IF. No exercise system is the Holy Grail but ti works for me. I found doing Zumba boring and running on the treadmill did my head in even with music. I get a good weight workout and cardio workout 5 days a week and that works. Everyone needs to go with what works for them and if that Crossfit then good and if its not find something else. The whole of the type of workout shouldnt be vilified because some people take it too far. Every type has their fanatics, the obsessed, the down right weirdoes. Weight lifting. Zumba. Crossfit. Running. Playing with your hula hoop in the backyard. Every kind of workout has people who take it to extremes, doesnt mean its bad or should be knocked. Its what we make of it.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    before crossfit, i couldn't walk up my 3 story townhouse without getting winded and having my knees crack. i could run up and down them 10 times over with energy to spare now.

i credit that to crossfit and crossfit endurance.

i was brought 'kicking and screaming' by my husband at first, and now i go twice as much as he does. i've never felt better about my health. i've been at it for 8 months now. and i've lost 20lbs, gained strength, and toned my body.

i'd say to anyone to give it a try for one month. if you don't like the way you feel and look, then go try something else.

but it is not for those who want to 'half-*kitten*' work out at a gym. you know the ones i'm talking about. if you're willing to push yourself, you will see results.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    mrstravisjone,

I am sorry to hear that your husband dragged you into Crossfit. Most Crossfit coaches push people MUCH too hard, which can result in all kinds of unnecessary injuries. Any reasonable exercise program could have gotten you into shape with much less risk of injury. If you didn't get injured doing Crossfit, you are lucky, because LOTS of people have. It is CRAZY what Crossfit expects people to do in those workouts, and trying to keep up with those expectations can cause injuries that can keep you out of the gym for weeks, if not months.

Responsible fitness coaches and personal trainers will tell you that it's much better to build up your strength slowly in a moderate fitness program as opposed to attempting a program as extreme as Crossfit that claims to get you in shape faster than anything else on the market.

No one would EVER convince me to join Crossfit. Even if the Crossifit box in your area has reasonable coaches, why contribute money to an organization that has such an extreme view of workouts that the founder doesn't mind saying that a Crossfit workout could kill you?

Especially when there are so many gyms and workout programs to select from that do not have such an extreme viewpoint.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."
  • jenny031477
    jenny031477 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Running can kill you and injure you as well and yet millions of people participate. Hmmm, go figure.

Seriously, health_gal...go away.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    agree with luludee! Why visit a thread about crossfit if you don't like it?!?
  • MyEbonyEyes
    Options
    I've been interested in trying it! Can anyone tell me a little about it?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread, it's interesting to see the different viewpoints.

What's disturbing, though, is the naysayer's perceptions. (BTW. I don't do Crossfit). They perceive Crossfit as a cult, where the participants think Crossfit is a "holy grail".

And yet I don't see that attitude from a single Crossfitter in this thread or anywhere else. Yes, Crossfitters are dedicated. And yes, they think Crossfit works (with good reason - it does work.) But when did being passionate about something become cultish? By that token, I must belong to a number of cults - Wendler 5/3/1 cult, bicycle to work cult, American bulldog cult, craft beer cult ... (ok, maybe the last one is a cult).

If something isn't for you, then it isn't for you. I don't do Body Pump or P90x, but I see my wife and others getting results from these programs. Same thing with Crossfit. It works, and it works well. Doesn't mean that I or anyone else have to do any of these programs.

Unfortunately, I think some of the negativity is an expression of a lack of passion. For some people, running someone else's passion down is a way to excuse their own lack of passion and dedication. It's a shame this forum has to be so negative toward anyone with any kind of passion.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've been interested in trying it! Can anyone tell me a little about it?

Have you checked out their website? http://crossfit.com/
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Before you get involved with Crossfit, please do yourself a favor and check out this article from the NY TIMES. It is a very extreme exercise program with a high injury rate.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."