Not sure what I am doing wrong....

Ugh. I'm feeling seriously discouraged. I started out pretty strong, but the past two weeks I have barely lost over a pound. According to MFP daily logins, I should be losing aroudn 3 lbs a week. What am I doing wrong?!? I'd understand if I was eating crap every week and not working out...but I log EVERYTHING and I'm at the gym at 6 am every morning. Any tips for me?

Replies

• jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Three pounds a week is unrealistic after the first few weeks. Two pounds is more realistic, but not guaranteed.

Without more information it's hard to advise.
  • eemott
    eemott Posts: 46 Member
    Well my goal was 2 lbs a week and when I submit my entries at the end of the night, it says I should lose 16 lbs in 5 weeks, coming out to 3.2 lbs a week. High, and a little unrealistic I think, but I'd still like to know how it is so off... I lost 1.2 lbs in a week. My journal should be open, feel free to take a peek and let me know what you think.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Well my goal was 2 lbs a week and when I submit my entries at the end of the night, it says I should lose 16 lbs in 5 weeks, coming out to 3.2 lbs a week. High, and a little unrealistic I think, but I'd still like to know how it is so off... I lost 1.2 lbs in a week. My journal should be open, feel free to take a peek and let me know what you think.
    Diary isn't open. It sounds, though, that you're eating less than MFP has recommended, if you're getting that message. Perhaps start with eating up to what it's recommending?
  • if you are going to the gym you will be building muscle which is heavier than the fat you are loosing, so go on looks as well as the scales.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

This tells me you aren't eating enough. Your body needs proper nutrition to function optimally.

Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • if you are going to the gym you will be building muscle which is heavier than the fat you are loosing, so go on looks as well as the scales.

GAH!! Muscle is NOT heavier than fat. A pound of muscle weights exactly the same as a pound of fat. Muscle just takes up less space on your body.
    You are not building muscle because you're not eating enough. Figure out your BMR and your TDEE and eat between the two.
  • eemott
    eemott Posts: 46 Member
    I don't eat back exercise calories. I eat what it recommends before exercise.
  • Jem97
    Jem97 Posts: 54
    Also, with the whole muscle thing, its pretty much physically impossible for a woman to gain more then 1/2 lb a week, without some kind of steroid.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    if you are going to the gym you will be building muscle which is heavier than the fat you are loosing, so go on looks as well as the scales.

GAH!! Muscle is NOT heavier than fat. A pound of muscle weights exactly the same as a pound of fat. Muscle just takes up less space on your body.

Don't be silly. How could 1 lb of muscle take up less space than 1 lb of fat, unless as a general statement (without knowing weight or volume) muscle was heavier?
  • bcattoes

You profile says you joined Jan 2012. If you've been eating that low for a year, you've likely lowered your resting metabolism which means you now need to eat even less to lose.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    if you are going to the gym you will be building muscle which is heavier than the fat you are loosing, so go on looks as well as the scales.

Don't be silly. How could 1 lb of muscle take up less space than 1 lb of fat, unless as a general statement (without knowing weight or volume) muscle was heavier?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279938-5-lbs-of-muscle-vs-5-lbs-of-fat-picture
  • mjenne74
    mjenne74 Posts: 40 Member
    Are you drinking your 8 glasses of water a day? If not, there could be water weight. Especially if you are over on your sodium allowances. And make sure you are eating as close to your calorie allowance as possible and they say to eat back half the calories from a work out. Lastly, is your exercise routine the same thing everyday? Changing up your routine on how you work out can help. Also if you eat a lot of the same meals everyday, your body may get used to it. So try changing it up to get that metabolism to kick in. Most importantly, don't give up! A loss is a loss. I know you are on a time crunch like I am with your upcoming wedding. Just keep pushing and try to make little improvements in any way you can. Water is huge as watching sodium is too in my opinion. Keep at it girl!
  • bcattoes

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279938-5-lbs-of-muscle-vs-5-lbs-of-fat-picture

Well now I'm really confused. Do we have 1 lb or 5 lbs?
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member

Well now I'm really confused. Do we have 1 lb or 5 lbs?

Pretty sure the word you're looking for is "denser". 1lb of muscle is DENSER than 1lb of fat. Not heavier.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    There's your trouble. Problem solved. :) Eat your exercise calories.
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28

hahahahah, you're not serious are you? is this real life?
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member

As a teacher, I'm speechless.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It takes time to get through, but I didn't start losing till I read this and followed it, eating more calories than I thought I should be but following the formula. It works.
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Your journal isn't accessible to the public. If you want help you will have to change your settings.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member

muscle-and-fat.jpg