GIVE ME SUGAR!!

Options
I want to know everyone's daily sugar intake/limits. When I was only calorie counting I had it set to 30g per day. Now that I am trying an all natural diet I bumped it up to 45 because I'm eating a ton of fruit in one day (1cup strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, and 1 apple or 1 small banana).

Should I still cut the sugar down even though it's mostly fructose? What do you all do?

Replies

• tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    There has been alot of issues with this topic. I think MFP sets it too low. One piece of fruit and wham, you are nearly halfway there for the day. If it is natural, not processed many say don't worry about it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Because I tend to run high uric acid levels, I must eliminate foods that are high in purines and watch my consumption of fructose. The fructose in fruit is a little more benign (because of several factors) but I still need to watch my total fructose consumption so eating table sugar is out (because table sugar, i.e. sucrose is 50% fructose). Just to give you one small example of what I am talking about: A medium orange has about 6 grams of fructose (and its transmission into the body is slowed by the fiber in which the fructose is encased) but a can of "orange" soda has about 26 grams of fructose in a total of 44 grams of high fructose corn syrup that is used as a sweetener. Experts who are studying fructose as a possible "fat switch" say that 25 grams or less of fructose per day is probably what you want to aim for. Some scientists say that all animals pursue fructose when nature drives them to accumulate fat to sustain them. Black bears put on a LOT of body fat in a very short time gorging on wild blueberries at the end of summer. But then they use up their fat stores during the long winter's hibernation. NOW, if we could only figure out how to hibernate...:laugh:
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Because I tend to run high uric acid levels, I must eliminate foods that are high in purines and watch my consumption of fructose. The fructose in fruit is a little more benign (because of several factors) but I still need to watch my total fructose consumption so eating table sugar is out (because table sugar, i.e. sucrose is 50% fructose). Just to give you one small example of what I am talking about: A medium orange has about 6 grams of fructose (and its transmission into the body is slowed by the fiber in which the fructose is encased) but a can of "orange" soda has about 26 grams of fructose in a total of 44 grams of high fructose corn syrup that is used as a sweetener. Experts who are studying fructose as a possible "fat switch" say that 25 grams or less of fructose per day is probably what you want to aim for. Some scientists say that all animals pursue fructose when nature drives them to accumulate fat to sustain them. Black bears put on a LOT of body fat in a very short time gorging on wild blueberries at the end of summer. But then they use up their fat stores during the long winter's hibernation. NOW, if we could only figure out how to hibernate...:laugh:

Hahahha! Thanks for the input! It makes sense to me!