a little personal but...

Options
rcatr
rcatr Posts: 374 Member
what is everyone's thoughts on colonics or cleanses?

i'm feeling a little *ahem* backed up. it may be due to stress but man, i know this discomfort is part of why i feel bad about myself right now. i usually have a trip to the bathroom at least twice a day. i'm at every other day for the past two weeks. can't be good.

if i grossed you out..sorry :frown:

Replies

• mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    you're right...it may be a lil personal but I would like to see everyone's response too. So....thanks for posting. You never know, but someone else may be wondering the exact same thing as you. :wink:
  • emilymorene
    emilymorene Posts: 56
    Options
    If it helps I don't see a problem with it. As long as you do research to make sure it is not dangerous in any way. Don't want to go in with one problem and come out with a bigger one!!
  • crystalicfusion
    Options
    How is your magnesium intake? Taking a magnesium supplement for about a week will help you cear right out.
  • Sondraelise
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of cleanses. I think if you drink lots of water and eat some fiber you'll be fine.
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't do it. No real reasons to back that up I just wouldn't. I'd take metamucil caplets for a few days to get things moving again if it was me.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I know I say this alot but... Super Dieters Tea!!! It will clean you out, its not too harsh and if you drink a big mug an hour before bed when you get up you'll poo and feel so much lighter. Its not really a cleanse per say but being backed up is no good and it will clear the pipes.
  • crystalpistolball
    Options
    I tried the cleanse once and I was not happy. I take fiber capsules every day as a way to regulate my system. You should try this first, I think you would be happy with the results. Fiber also helps with weight loss, at least that's what I've heard. I've been taking it for the past 4 years. Also eat lots of fruits and veggies!
  • ceecee33
    ceecee33 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would seriously consider just adding a ton of fiber to your diet first. Even if that means taking a fiber supplement. Walking for 20 minutes before and after you eat will help also. Of course drinking more water. In most cases colonics and cleanses are wholly unnecessary, but if a well balanced diet and exercise are not doing their jobs, I would talk to my physician first.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some prune juice.
  • lelesmama
    lelesmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I say go with some high fiber foods. You HAVE to pair them with a ton of water though or you'll be even more backed up. Fiber One bars, cereal or high fiber oatmeals are great options?
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    As far as colonics, I cant imagine how anyone can walk into an office & pay someone to shove a hose up your rear & watch as they fill you up like a gas tank. Then you have to hop down & do the dance trying to get to a toilet without bursting before you get there. Ive never gone, I'm going on what Ive been told by others who have gone.

Whatever you are eating is probably the cause of why you feel the way you do. Id go with what others have told you as far as adding alot of fiber to your diet till it passes. Prune juice, metamucil, etc.
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    Personally, I would not do it. I have heard (and known) of people who get "addicted" to them, and then cannot go on their own.
    There are so many fiber rich foods out there, fresh and processed, that will get you going, as long as you eat enough of it. I aim for 25-30 grams a day... it's hard at first, but your body will adjust!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I know I say this alot but... Super Dieters Tea!!! It will clean you out, its not too harsh and if you drink a big mug an hour before bed when you get up you'll poo and feel so much lighter. Its not really a cleanse per say but being backed up is no good and it will clear the pipes.
    I agree. I've used it when backed up. Works great.
  • rcatr
    Options
    my diet has a pretty good decent amount of fiber and i'm always over the 8 glasses of water minimum.

I think I will look into the super dieter's tea. A colonic must have come to my mind from my days of watching too much mtv or vh1 about killer celebrity bodies and how they do it or something :laugh:

we'll see how it goes.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    "Cleanses" do not work. They are a complete waste of money, and can be dangerous. You want to "clean out"? Eat foods rich in fiber and drink tons of water.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you.

1.) Add more fiber to your diet. If you can make it to 30 grams of fiber a day, you should see results. I added oatmeal, spinach, raspberries, raisin bran and wheat bread to my diet to up my fiber intake and it helped.

2.) Use a gentle laxative tea maybe every 2-3 days. I use "Smooth Moves" senna tea which is $5 for a box of 10 tea bags. I drink tea at night and by the morning...I have about 3 days worth of "you know what" leaving my body. lol. And it is gentle, not like those super dieter teas that can leave you cramping and in pain.

3.) I've done colonics before and was not impressed. I felt like adding fiber and taking the tea helped more than the colonics, waste of money to me.

4.) drink lots and lots of water.

GOOD LUCK!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I personally don't really like them or think they work. I've tried them in the past and had no luck.

For me, coffee works best!!! It has to be the real stuff, no decaf - and I will be ready to use the bathroom in no time!!!
  • rcatr
    Options
    thanks guys! definitely adding a coffee to my afternoon today. tired and maybe it will help. :tongue:
  • rcatr
    Options
    so.
    since yesterday I've had an apple and a fiber one bar for a snack, made whole wheat pasta with ground turkey and marinara for dinner, had oatmeal for breakfast and repeated the apple and fiber one combo for a snack
    and i got NADA.

zip. zilch. what is going on?!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    "Cleanses" do not work. They are a complete waste of money, and can be dangerous. You want to "clean out"? Eat foods rich in fiber and drink tons of water.

Tell us how you really feel. Don't sugar coat it.