I need meatless meals where protein = fat x2 or more

Options
I am a vegetarian and I do eat processed, not so healthy, vegetarian meat substitutes. I also eat eggs and drink soy milk. I use a lot of fat free cheese, eggs, pasta and meat substitutes to get my protein because I can not stand yogurt!!!! None of it. I have tried it all. Seriously. If you have some way I can sneak it into a recipe, please let me know. I would like some ideas of recipes with high protein (at least 2 times the fat grams in protein, ie. 5g fat 10g protein, etc) to add to my diet and if possible, I would like to lower my use of meat substitutes. I love eggs and egg whites, so if you have any unique recipes involving eggs, or unique recipes where I can sneak in some vegetarian yogurt or low fat/fat free, vegetarian friendly, sour cream, that would work. I just need some ideas. I can turn almost any recipe vegetarian, but it will only work if it doesn't ruin the fat/protein ratio too much, so that I can keep enough protein in my meals. Sorry if I sound too particular, but I am just offering ideas. If you have any of your own, apart from telling me to eat meat or meat products, let me know. :]

Replies

• xxxskinnymodelxxx
    Options
    I have the same problem...
  • drumerley
    drumerley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Beans and nuts are really good for protein and quinoa is one of the only vegetarian sources of full protein. I prefer red quinoa, but there are a few varieties you can try.
    And it's not getting away from the meat substitutes, but there is a brand call Gardein that I really like.
    If you like smoothies, you could put yogurt in those. And now they make greek frozen yogurt that maybe would be worth a try. I'm sure it has so much sugar, it might not be worth it, but it should have more protein - certainly more than ice cream. I'm sure there are a ton of yogurt recipes - I just don't know them, haha. Maybe check allrecipes.com.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lentils are a dyn-o-mite source of protein and can be prepared a million different ways.
  • kklotay
    kklotay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fat-free greek yogurt and cottage cheese are a great source of protein w/o fat. Also, red kidney beans, chick peas are great sources.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A couple of things:
    #1 dietary fat won't make you fat
    #2 fat free stuff tends to be really processed with weird chemicals or sugar added

That being said, I have Crohn's disease and have a LOT of trouble processing fats (I had 1 tablespoon of pesto 4 days ago and I'm still having stomach cramps), so I usually get reduced fat dairy products if they don't have a bunch of additives in them.

I've been vegetarian for over 2 years and eat a TON of protein. I love Gardein brand faux meat products because they aren't nearly as processed as other brand and they just taste so good. Feel free to look at my diary for any ideas.

Have you tried Fage brand greek yogurt? It's the least tangy and it's super thick. I get the fat free plain and add a little stevia and a tablespoon of pb2...sooooo good!
  • kklotay
    kklotay Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    See if this soy product is available in your area. The company claims that it has 54 grams of protien, 0.4 gram of fat, and 28 grams of carb per 100 grams. There are several recipes available online.

http://www.ruchisoya.com/products_nutrela_tvp.htm
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Fat-free greek yogurt and cottage cheese are a great source of protein w/o fat. Also, red kidney beans, chick peas are great sources.
    I found a really interesting recipe the other day that used cottage cheese in a casserole! I can't really stand the stuff, but I think if I added it to a sauce/pasta it wouldn't matter to me. :] Thank you!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    A couple of things:
    #1 dietary fat won't make you fat
    #2 fat free stuff tends to be really processed with weird chemicals or sugar added

That being said, I have Crohn's disease and have a LOT of trouble processing fats (I had 1 tablespoon of pesto 4 days ago and I'm still having stomach cramps), so I usually get reduced fat dairy products if they don't have a bunch of additives in them.

I've been vegetarian for over 2 years and eat a TON of protein. I love Gardein brand faux meat products because they aren't nearly as processed as other brand and they just taste so good. Feel free to look at my diary for any ideas.

Have you tried Fage brand greek yogurt? It's the least tangy and it's super thick. I get the fat free plain and add a little stevia and a tablespoon of pb2...sooooo good!

I know fat in foods won't make me fat. I am studying to be a Registered Dietician. :] However, if I don't watch my fat intake, I have like 25g of protein per day, which is bad for maintaining the muscle I have now. I need to find ways to keep my muscles up. I have tried a lot of yogurt, some greek, but I don't know if I've tried Fage. Maybe I will try it in a shake or something? :] Thank you for the ideas
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thank you for the information! I appreciate everyone's comments & will look into a lot of it. I am already checking out reviews of some products on amazon, so I can find some nice brands of the suggested items (ie. yogurt, frozen yogurt, cottage cheese, nutrela, etc)
  • Arachnapheria
    Arachnapheria Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, wholemeal flour products, quinoa, nuts, seeds, beans (there are a tonne of different kinds, try making bean burgers). I'm vegan and I get more than enough protein without resorting to processed meat substitutes (I use them less than once a week) and dairy. Soya sauce is high in protein. Root vegetables also have more protein in them then people realise.