Sugar.

Options
Hi guys. I am constantly going over on my sugar in my daily goals. The majority of this sugar is coming from fruit. Is this an issue? I assume it is ok because it is natural sugar, but I would rather know in case I am wrong.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers :-)

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb. If you are within your overall carb goal, why worry about sugar?
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The sugar setting in MFP is crazy low, I don't think I've ever been under, or even anywhere near. If you have a piece of fruit or two and certain veggies (like onion or sweet potato), you go over without ever adding sweetener to anything. Dried fruit is even higher.

It's not good to get too much sugar, even from natural sources, but when it's delivered with fiber (like in an apple), I believe your body can process it a bit better and fruit has so many great nutrients. I try to limit fruit to two servings a day and added sweetener (honey, brown sugar, real maple syrup) in very limited amounts. Alochol has a lot of sugar, too, and I limit that to once in a while.

You know if you are adding refined sugar or eating crap. I don't really worry as long as I'm under 100g most days (some days I'm wayyy over, oh well). (I'm not diabetic.) I've seen others recommend a goal of 60g per day, but I have a hard time with that, too.

I pay a lot of attention to macros and try to stay in line with overall carbs (sometimes go a bit over).
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    bUMP- I'm always over in my sugar.. Even on my absolute best days.. its annoying
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    bUMP- I'm always over in my sugar.. Even on my absolute best days.. its annoying

I manually set my sugar goal a little higher - I got tired of seeing red numbers when I knew I was eating a reasonable amount.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    See, I have a tiny bit of honey at breakfast, then I don't have much else that has sugar. I do however eat a shed load of fruit and veg. I have quite often 5 fruit items minimum, and all my meals are veg and salad happy. I don't eat a great deal of processed sugar products, only as an occasional treat. I also tend to be under my carbs most days.

Thanks for the input. I will have a look to see the RDA for sugar, and see how it compares. :-)
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I manually set my sugar goal a little higher - I got tired of seeing red numbers when I knew I was eating a reasonable amount.

This is what I am going to do. I am eating about 1500 calories before exercise, so I should be able to adapt the sugar to fit. I didn't know you could, so thanks!
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had the same question and was assured that as long I was keeping in my calorie and carb range I would be fine, but I do like to keep an eye on it.