Snoring gone after weight loss?

Options
I just recently joined MFP 4 weeks ago and am already seeing changes! I currently have a bad case of snoring...VERY loudly. I think the weight I put on caused me to have sleep apnear. My question is to anyone who had an issue wtih snoring or sleep apenea prior to losing weight and if it was gone or significantly reduced after. Any help is most appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to be about 36 pounds+ heavier and snored every night very heavily. I don't think I snore anymore. Maybe I do but it's too light anyone to notice.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've lost about 36 lbs as well and my snoring/apnea has disappeared.
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Snoring has stopped for me too - 50 pounds lighter now. :wink:
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that! Another reason for me to keep at it. My kids have made so much fun of me, especially if I fall asleep and they have friends over... so embarrassing for everyone.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I had/have severe sleep apnea and I have lost about 85lbs from my heaviest weight. I still have sleep apnea and still use my CPAP machine. I snored like a bear from the time I was young and stick thin so I don't think it will ever be gone but it is better than it was at my heaviest.
  • zagrath769
    zagrath769 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    it's so encouraging to read all of your responses. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 6 months ago and have slept with a CPAP since. I've just started on my journey, but getting off of that CPAP is one goal that I'm looking forward to reaching.
  • roxy08fox
    roxy08fox Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that! Another reason for me to keep at it. My kids have made so much fun of me, especially if I fall asleep and they have friends over... so embarrassing for everyone.

I get made fun of lot too because of it. And if I keep someone awake because of my snoring I feel bad. I'm tired of feeling bad and embarrassed about it....
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    there IS a correlation between being overweight and having sleep apnea. The fat in your throat can cause compression of your trachea. When you lose the weight, and the fat is gone, the snoring improves or disappears.

unfortunately, some people snore no matter what. Hubby has snored for 18 years. Even when he was a scrawny 140lbs ( at 5'8") he snored like a passing freight train. At 195lbs, he occasionally snores THROUGH his Cpap machine....
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is the first treatment option doctors discuss with patients who have sleep apnea--it works.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I snore a LOT less than before.--- so says my hubs.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Totally gone.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had very severe sleep apnea when I was heavy. My wife said that within a couple months of losing weight, the snoring was greatly reduced and I feel more rested after sleeping at night. Heck, I can even nap in the living room now without being told to go to the bedroom because my snoring was so loud. :smile:
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I dropped from 14 stone to 10 stone a few years back, and my snoring diminished massively. Went back up to 13st 4lb, and the snoring returned. Now, at 12 stone, it is apparently less noticable!
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    My snoring and apnea has reduced since I have lost weight.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    My snoring has gone my wife is very happy lol
  • Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    I know I am still snoring but I've got a bit to go, I know from previous weight loss my snoring will go. Can't wait and I am sure my wife is thinking the same! :)
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My husband has noticed that I snore less. :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yep snoring all gone away :noway:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Wife and I were snorers. I've lost 75, she's lost 65 .. neither of us snores any more. She also had sleep Apnea to the point where sometimes I'd wake her up just it sounded (and looked) like she was choking. no longer.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My snoring is gone now according to my wife.